PDA

View Full Version : Flight Review on foreign aircraft

SonicVIPER
15th Jul 2004, 14:20
Hi to all

I hope you guys can help. I'd like to find out if a flight review according to CFR 61 needs to be completed on a US registered aircraft. How can it legally be done outside the United States?

Many thanks

411A
18th Jul 2004, 03:42
An interesting question.
Asked this very same question of an FAA inspector based JED some years ago, and was told, yes, it needs to be a US registered aircraft.
Then asked...'well, you are here to issue FAA type ratings using HZ registered aircraft, so how does that fit?'

He further explained that the FAA had a specical agreement with the PCA in Saudi Arabia, so this particular action was OK.
Then asked him to accompany me on a regular TriStar line flight, so he could sign off a flight review, as required by FAR's (so I could continue to fly my private aircraft in the USA)...and he promptly did just that.

Don't know if this has been helpful....suspect not.:uhoh:

Tried anyway....:)

PicMas
18th Jul 2004, 17:21
Yes, you can do BFR on a non-N registered aircraft. I have done it.

Suggest you write FSDO first and verify with them. I did and it was no problem.

SonicVIPER
19th Jul 2004, 10:57
Howzit guys

Thanks for your replies.

Personally I do not see any logic in that the Flight Review has to be done on a N-registered aircraft. It would make no sense for the FAA to require all foreign pilots operating on, or holding FAA certificates, to fly to the US each year for the review. Myself and a few friends all completed our training in the US so for us it is much easier to do the Flight Reviews on each other in accordance with the relevant CFR.

If it is a requirement that the FR be done on a N-registered aircraft I see it important to include it as a subpart in the relevant CFR, not so?

Many thanks for your opinions.

Speedbird48
27th Jul 2004, 22:21
From the dark side!

The review may be done in any airplane or helicopter or glider etc. There is no requirement to do it in a "N" aircraft.

GlueBall
30th Jul 2004, 17:10
I had gotten my FAA Private Pilot certificate from an FAA inspector in a French airplane with German registration.