PDA

View Full Version : Memory Map

Aerodynamik
14th Jul 2004, 22:41
Did anyone see the Memeory Map display at the PFA Rally. If not it was a package which included software and a PDA. Basically you plan the flight on your home computer and then transfer it to the PDA. The PDA's they were selling had inbuilt GPS aerials so they could be used as a moving map showing your route etc. It all looked very impressive but I didn't have the funds on me at the time to buy one. I'm still interested but wondered if anyone bought one or has experience. I think the package was about £300 which compares very well with a GPS but what are the pro's and con's?

IO540
15th Jul 2004, 12:19
MM uses raster versions of the printed charts, which they license from the relevant authorities.

It is a fair choice for the UK but rapidly becomes very expensive if you go to other countries, or if you want to buy other maps, e.g. the Ordnance Survey set. I went to a fancy bookshop in Oxford the other day and it was stacked up with CD maps for MM, and one could easily spend £1000s on the data.

Another option, where you supply your own scans of whatever maps you want, is Oziexplorer (www.oziexplorer.com). I have scanned in the CAA charts; each one is about 50MB and I can get the aviation charts for most of Europe on a single 1GB compactflash cartridge. OE works out far more cost effective once you get past a few maps, especially for pilots who have to purchase the printed charts anyway (for practical reasons, if not legally). Also see

http://www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com/GPS/review-e800.php

The problem with any PDA nav solution, though, is that they are not rugged enough. The touch screens need to be only ... erm.... touched and it selects some undesirable function :O I think it makes a great backup GPS, especially for passengers to look at (they might also prefer to see road or general topo maps) but I would never use it as my primary GPS.

englishal
15th Jul 2004, 13:21
e.g. the Ordnance Survey set
I bought the OS 1:50,000 for the area I live in, and they cocked it up and sent the ALL maps for the ENTIRE UK! Not bad for £20 me thinks :D

MM is great for flying in the UK as IO says. The airfield charts are particularly useful for finding your way around a busy airfield, as you can see your position on the plate......

I also use Anywhere Map, mainly for the US, but the dB is ok for the UK as well. Doesn't show all airspace in Europe, but for situational awareness, along with a paper chart, its fine. You can pre-program the route, and it gives an EFIS display of your progress. I believe the latest dB contains instrument approaches for the US as well.....whether or not they show your progress on the approach, I don't know, but if they did, then that would be sweet.

EA

Trislander
15th Jul 2004, 14:31
http://www.memory-map.co.uk