PDA

View Full Version : Complex Aircraft Reg's

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Oct 1998, 17:27
As you probably all know, new JAR regs mean that commercial licence training will have to be completed on a 'complex' aircraft i.e. retractable, contant speed etc.

I thought that the complex aircraft requirement comes in in June'99 with the rest of the new malarky. However, the word on the street is that the complex aircraft bit comes in as of Jan1st'99.

This would mean that someone starting a BCPL or an upgrade in the first half of next year will have to use a complex aircraft which will naturally damage the wallet somewhat.

Can anyone out there confirm this rumour? As a way 'round this rule could one take a single commercial lesson before 1stJan and then be "established on a route to licence issue" thus being allowed to continue on a nice cheap spam-can (well needs must when the devil runs your bank account)?

Thanks in advance - WWW

GT
14th Oct 1998, 14:31
The mandatory date for JAR-FCL introduction is 1st July 1999. However, the CAA have a policy of introducing it prior to this date, as declared on all white AICs regarding the matter. For example, new Flying Instructor Rating issues will be done under JAR-FCL from 1st November this year and new PPL applications MAY be done under JAR-FCL from 1st January 1999 depending upon exactly what the applicant has passed prior to this date in terms of ground and flight tests. If anyone is interested the CAA estimate that JAR-FCL rules for gaining a twin instructor rating (50 hours P1 on twins in the 12 months prior to your application, or something like that, GULP!!) will come into effect in the early part of next year, so, if you want to instruct for the twin engine rating, get it sorted out as soon as possible. Hope this helps.

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Oct 1998, 12:25
Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn. How can this sort of change just jump out of the woodwrok like this! All the flying schools seem confused and there has been jack-all publicity. This is going to cost me money I don't have. Grrrrrrr. Bloody Europe - should have stayed out of it if you ask me.

WWW.

ILSNDBVOR
28th Oct 1998, 19:32
WWW, it is not so much 'Bloody Europe' as 'Bloody ICAO' as the UK is merely falling into line with many aspects of ICAO which it previously opted out of. In all though it is a logical progression, modern aircraft are a bit more complicated these days than your average PA28. It is sad I know from an expense point of view, but that is progress I am afraid. The multi-instructor thing also means that the UK is now the same as every other country world wide, instructors need 50hrs P1 before doing the multi-intructors rating. Me thinks multi 509 instructors will be a rare breed soon!