View Full Version : M1 vs J1 Visa

russellferrier
17th Oct 2001, 02:07
Hi there,

I seek any wisdom that any of you instructors may have regarding M1 and J1 Visa's.

I am keen to start my PPL, CPL, through to Commercial Instructors Instrument rating. As a British citizen I need a visa to stay in the USA (it's my desire to move there).

I believe that :
An M1 Visa gives me rights to be there for a year for training and, after 9 months of the 12 for the school to employ me for the remaining period of my Visa.

A J1 visa is for up to 3 years and the sponsoring school can employ me immediately on gaining my instructors ratings.

The latter is preferable for obvious reasons. But not many schools seem to offer J1 visas. Any comments from those of you experienced in this area and involved with schools that offer either or both (preferably in California but...)

Thanks and regards
RF

Matthewjharvey
20th Oct 2001, 20:09
Many schools in SE USA offer J1 visas. I don't know of any in California though. I did my ratings at North American Institute of Aviation in Conway, SC, and have just returned to the UK after my J1 expired having instructed in the NY area for 2 years. NAIA offer good value and quality training. After obtaining the ratings with a J1 you can instruct anywhere in the country -I am sure you could find a job in California easily.

Good luck.

DesiPilot
23rd Oct 2001, 21:08
OzAir,

I agree with Greaser. I run a flight school in Florida and have had many FI's from NAIA work with us. I think its a good school and none of the FI's had any complaints.
If you come here on M1 visa, you can work on it as long as it is part of your training but you cannot get paid (legally). If you are on J1 visa you can legally get paid. M1 Visas are comparatively easier to extend but you cannot change your status if need be. Whereas if you are on J1 visa your status can be changed here without having to leave the country. Since you are planning to move to the US I recommend come here on J1 visa. If you find the love of your life here ;) you can easily change your status here.
If you go to Landings.com you can find the schools who offer the J1 visa.

Best Wishes
DP