PDA

View Full Version : You won't tell anyone, will you?

Capt Homesick
1st Oct 1998, 00:37
At the end of today's lesson, the student taxied the PA28 back to the school apron, turned into a parking space, stopped the aircraft using the toe brakes, reached down and...
...lowered full flap.
When I started laughing, he said "this will be just between us, won't it?"
Anyone got any more fun (preferably non life-threatening) stude errors?

Capt Homesick
1st Oct 1998, 04:13
After posting the last entry, I went off flying- and on the way back, used completely the wrong callsign. Apparently having a placard above the ASI with the reg on it wasn't enough. For anyone on 126.3 at 2250Z (check my profile for where)- yes, I was that pillock.

Deputy
1st Oct 1998, 10:37
Back in my student days, I had been known to also apply full flap on a PA-28 when faced with a significant hold at the holding point.
But having the flap lever almost identical to the park brake on my Volkswagan Beetle, I suppose it was bound to happen.

Similarly during initial twin training (type forgotten) the fuel pump switches were located just below the magneto switches for one engine. Imagine my instructors surprise when, passing 450'agl in a turn I selected the mags off instead of the fuel pumps!!

[This message has been edited by Deputy (edited 01-10-98).]

Waitamata
2nd Oct 1998, 16:40
There was a story I heard many year's ago about a student doing a cross country solo and as he reached his destination and contacted the tower was asked for POB. For some unaccountable reason, he decided that TODAY POB stood for passengers on board rather than persons on board and answered "Nil POB". The response from the tower was seamless: "Roger. Confirmed nil POB. All traffic, caution unmanned aircraft entering terminal area."

CHICKENTRAINER
26th Nov 1998, 19:51
Flogging around the training area, doing my first twin endorsement on a GA7, with the grand total of about 120 hours flight time.

No. 2 had been feathered and shutdown and it was time for an air start.

The magnetos lived to the left of the pilot just under the side window.

I grabbed two magneto switches and turned them OFF. http://www.avnet.co.uk/pprune/Public_html/forum/redface.gif The silence was deafening!!

Being quick off the mark, I realised straight away that I had done wrong. Without thinking (probably because I was scared sh1tless)I turned the magnetos back ON!

Well you should have heard the backfire!!!!

My instructor, cool as cool could be, sat there with a grin and said "I bet you won't do that again matey".

Boy was he right.

Charlie Foxtrot India
27th Nov 1998, 06:44
If I had a dollar for the times the after take-off checks in a CSU/RET aircraft have changed from Gear Up, Flap Up 25",2500 to Gear up, Flap up,25", Mixture Idle Cut Off...

------------------

Deputy
27th Nov 1998, 09:03
I remember the intial twin type was a PA-44 Piper Seminole.
Hey Chickentrainer, did you happen to do your initial GA7 endorsement in the Hunter Valley?
If so I was there myself in '87

Islander Jock
27th Nov 1998, 16:09
I remember when I did my BN2 endorsement 2 yrs ago. There were two of us doing the check on the same day. The other guy had considerably more total hours and twin time than myself and he was going through the routine first. I was in R2 watching the drills as the instructor slipped the big card between the red and blue levers and failing an engine. All was going well until we started doing this in the circuit. The other guy had no problems with the drills of maintaining directional control and verifying. But my eyes soon turned into two fried eggs (sunny side up)when the other guy went to feather the opposite engine.
It's bloody hard to sit back and watch someone really cock something up. Isnt it CFI http://www.avnet.co.uk/pprune/Public_html/forum/wink.gif

CHICKENTRAINER
28th Nov 1998, 06:17
Deputy,

Certainly did, 1983, back there on the other side of the fence 1986/7. http://pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/smile.gif