PDA

View Full Version : David Hempleman-Adams overflies Cape Columbia

ShenziRubani
13th Jul 2004, 20:01
The renowned polar explorer, mountaineer and balloonist, David Hempleman-Adams has successfully flown his bright pink (colors of his sponsors) single-engine Cessna 210, over Cape Columbia at the northernmost point of the Canadian High Arctic. This heralds the start of the 11,500 mile challenge that will take him across the Continent, to Cape Horn.

David Hempleman-Adams and Canadian co-pilot Lorne White had been forced to delay the start of the challenge due to an engine fault discovered last week on their arrival at Eureka (CYEU), an isolated weather station 270 miles from the start at Cape Columbia. Following days of frantic calls and negotiations a new engine (from Ft Smith, Arkansas) and two qualified engineers (from Sioux Lookout, Ontario) were found and brought to Eureka to make vital repairs to the plane so the challenge could continue.

Speaking via satellite phone from Eureka, David said: "I'm thrilled that we managed to get a new engine and I'm confident that we can now get on with the Cape-to-Cape. A huge thanks must go to all the people that have helped us overcome our technical problems. It really has been a case of great teamwork.

"It was amazing to be flying again and, with the technical problems of last week now behind us, crossing over Cape Columbia was a real achievement for everyone involved."

David and Lorne took off from Eureka in the very late hours of July 12th (thanks to 24 hours of daylight) and flew further north over Cape Columbia on the northern tip of Ellesmere Island, just 500 miles from the North Pole. From there they went out over the Arctic Ocean and had a great view over the Polar ice-cap. After an amazing flight back over the mountains and glaciers, they made a perfect landing in Eureka, surrounded by curious wolves. Weather permitting they will continue heading south on their 11,500 mile journey to Cape Horn later today.

The Cape 2 Cape challenge then continues as David heads down around Hudson Bay and then over the Canadian cities of Toronto and Montreal, before heading towards North America. At this time they are making a technical stop at Sioux Lookout in Ontario.

FNG
14th Jul 2004, 06:16
"Bloke flies Cessna around in America and Canada with other bloke". Am I the only one to find this to be a complete non event?

OK, I take it back, now that I've realised that these rocky tough dudes are flying to (gasp) Toronto.

2Donkeys
14th Jul 2004, 06:24
Sounds like a fun outing, and I'd love to do it... but "challenge" is not really the appropriate word.

Good luck to them. I would like somebody to sponsor my aviation whilst I raise money for charity :D

ShenziRubani
14th Jul 2004, 16:08
I have to say that I do enjoy reading the "real-enthousiastic-British-pilots" on this forum. I love the way you guys are so open minded and so aware of things.

Real challenge or not? Well zat-iz-ze-question, surely, but until today it has been a challenge. And a real one, for some of the guys involved in this project. Not only we had to change the engine of a plane in Arctic conditions, had barely any sleep for the last 10 days, then the plane and pilots had to go through pretty violent weather and good solid IMC conditions in an environment where ATC and radar do not exist, such a challenge that they are barely making it to Toronto, with a week delay. I am pretty sure that from now on, until the leave the Bahamas, things are going to be smooth. But after that again, nothing is sure.
Hey, I am not saying that it is amazing and impossible to descend on airstrip with no published approaches, fly in solid IMC, go through icing and extreme weather, land in rough strips, and make perfect approaches and landings with RVRs under minimum, no it's not.
A lot of us have done, do it, and will always do it in Africa, South America, Alaska, Northern Canada and other remote places on the globe; but it is very demanding, it is very challenging and despite having had the chance to work in amazing places in difficult conditions at times, I do not really envy the 2 guys in that plane. I don't like flying single-engine piston aircraft above places like the Amazon, or large areas of water, especially the Hudson Bay or the Caribean Sea. I really don't think neither that it will be fun going over Cape Horn.
but again, what do I know, just sitting here on my couch, drinking a beer, surfing the Net.

2Donkeys
14th Jul 2004, 16:36
I really don't think neither that it will be fun going over Cape Horn.

Poor dears! We are lucky to have people like this, prepared to put themselves through this hardship on our behalf. :D

but again, what do I know, just sitting here on my couch, drinking a beer, surfing the Net.

You are obviously very close to this, being the "Flight Director" and Pprune publicist for the event. I can't see on the challenge website which charities they are supporting, but I wish them well and hope they raise loads of money. I have never gone for the "look at these heroes putting themselves through so much" line though.

2D

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Jul 2004, 17:02
If so could he next time post a link?

I am too much of a coward to undertake anything like this but best of luck.

Certainly beats yet another documentary about this solo sailing around the world Ellen breaking out in tears, again.

FD

Chilli Monster
14th Jul 2004, 19:34
I just wish dear Shenzi would stop posting identical postings in two different threads just for the publicity.
Bright Pink Plane over Cape Columbia (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137485)

Any moderators care to comment ;)

Numpo-Nigit
14th Jul 2004, 20:54
Well, I put this comment in the identical thread, so why not here as well?

"The Cape 2 Cape challenge then continues as David heads down around Hudson Bay and then over the Canadian cities of Toronto and Montreal, before heading towards North America. At this time they are making a technical stop at Sioux Lookout in Ontario."

I always was taught that Canada was part of North America, and the largest !!!

NN

TonyR
14th Jul 2004, 21:55
Sounds like a fun outing, and I'd love to do it... but "challenge" is not really the appropriate word

For those of you who have not been too far from home it may seem a little too easy.

This flight may not be a first and I know nothing about it.

I do however have a little experience in both North and South America all be it over 20 years ago when I had less sense than I have now. I also found a new definition of an airstrip in Peru, ("land on the flat bit at the bottom of the hill, keep up speed and you will need full power to taxi to the top" ) in a C206 at 10,000 feet

If I were to ask you to fly from Lands End to Wick following the West coast and there were no suitable landing strips along the entire route, how many of you would set off tomorrow morning, knowing that if you had a problem, the landing would be on a mountain side, forest or in the water.

Don't be too hard on anyone that is willing to set off on an 11,000 odd mile flight, it might not be as easy as you think.

If ShenziRubani wants to tell us about it that's fine by me, 1 thread would be enough though.

Tony

ShenziRubani
15th Jul 2004, 00:31
TonyR, once again thanks, I do need to cancel the other thread, I didn;t have it on this forum but on the "rumours" one, and yes, one thread is enough. I need to delete the other.

2Donkeys, I agree with your comments, unfortunately, there is not too much charity involved in this flight, as you may know, the decision on how/where to spend the money is usually made by the sponsors, not by the sailors/aviators/runners/climbers. In this case, our sponsor is not yet really involved in charities but has tried to get small things organised along the road. For example in Caracas, they will present football equipment to schools in poor areas, and same goes along the route in South America. The sponsor we have is just not the kind that need to advertise their involvement in non-profit/charity actions.
I also wish not to use the word "heroes" for David Hempleman-Adams and Lorne White, I think they are "adventurers" or "explorers", not heroes. The idea behind this challenge, apart from setting a few speed records along the way, was above all to promote the image of general aviation, to show that a small single-engine piston can take you to the end of the World, the idea was to push the limits of the plane, the limits of the pilots. We wanted to show that a "general aviation" aircraft can go far, can do things. I believe that it is better for all of us to see DHA's pink C210 on TV than hear about a Cherokee crash, or the threat "these small planes" would pose if in hands of terrorist. I am tired of the image of general aviation that some in the media are promoting, fed up of that idea that we fly dangerous, polluting, noisy, machines.
Today they set speed records on the routes Timmins-Toronto and Toronto-Montreal.
Weather pretty bad on the Montreal-Teterboro route, but they will try to make it during the night.

Chuck Ellsworth
15th Jul 2004, 01:26
Shenzi...

I was not going to comment, however in defense of the Brits on this site I do not find them to be any different than anyone else.

As to being enthusiastic about flying in the Arctic, well I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

We were changing engines and flying in the Arctic day after day, week after week for years. Yes I agree it can be uncomfortable, however I do not recall any real bad icing in the arctic, then I only flew eight years up there so may have missed it.

Anyhow just thought I would add some comments to kind of even up the playing field.

I wish them all the best in their adventure, and caution them against unnecessary risk talking just to prove some point.

The above offered in all due respect. .:ok:

Chuck E.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Jul 2004, 15:28
Just a little update:

David and Lorne should be in Naples tomorrow. They will be stopping in for maintenance before they launch off to South America.

Like Chuck, I wish them all the best on their journey.

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

ShenziRubani
16th Jul 2004, 22:19
The pink C210 is now en route to Nassau and has now established new speed records over distance on the legs Timmins-Toronto, Toronto-Montreal, Kitty Hawk-Savannah and Savannah-Naples.
Cool.

MLS-12D
16th Jul 2004, 22:59
The renowned polar explorer, mountaineer and balloonist, David Hempleman-Adams ... and Canadian co-pilot Lorne White Somebody remind me; this is the newly-minted 40-hour PPL who is flying with an experienced "co-pilot", right?

The idea behind this challenge, apart from setting a few speed records along the way, was above all to promote the image of general aviation, to show that a small single-engine piston can take you to the end of the World, the idea was to push the limits of the plane, the limits of the pilots. We wanted to show that a "general aviation" aircraft can go far, can do things.Great concept, except that it was already done to death 50-60 years ago.

I think I've heard enough about this clown's "adventures" (yawn). :rolleyes:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Jul 2004, 23:35
ShenziRubani,

I gave them a new route today and sent them from Naples to Stella Maris on Long Island in the Bahamas. They should be at the Stella Maris Resort Club now.

Here is a shot from their stop in Naples today.

http://www.naples-air-center.com/DAoC/cape2cape.jpg

Naples Air Center, Inc.

MLS-12D
17th Jul 2004, 00:10
For some interesting aviation stories, try here (http://ebushpilot.com/highgranite.htm) or here (http://ebushpilot.com/shorty.htm), or a old classic like North to the Orient (1935), The Flight of the Mew Gull (1980), or Seaplane Solo (1934).

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Jul 2004, 00:28
MLS-12D,

As I mentioned to you in the thread back in June:

Across the Americas in a C182 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=133139)

David has a lot more hours than you keep quoting.

Happy Flying,

Naples Air Center, Inc.

ShenziRubani
17th Jul 2004, 17:54
Hi Richard,

Great picture!
Thank you very much for all the help you offered when 210SM was in Naples. DHA raved about it when he called me from his sat-phone last night, saying that everyone at N.A.C did a great job.
They were eager to make it to Stalla Maris but due to weather went to Exuma where they spent the night.
Went through Santo Domingo MDSD around 15:00 zulu today and are now somewhere over the Caribean Sea heading for Caracas.

ShenziRubani
18th Jul 2004, 06:28
The Pink Plane makes it to Caracas. On schedule.

MLS-12D
19th Jul 2004, 14:01
David has a lot more hours than you keep quoting.How many hours, specifically? :confused:

ShenziRubani
19th Jul 2004, 14:33
The Pink P;ane left Manaus this morning and will try to reach Campo Grande during the night. Making good progress still despite a difficult met yesterday.

MLS-12D: I don't know how many hours DHA really has, but is it really an issue? Will it make it less of a challenge, or to the contrary, make it more difficult? But then again, so what!
I don't see your point in trying to make this sound like a little x-country vacation. It may not be the greatest challenge but I still believe that it is for the better than GA plane still attempt things like that. Oh yes, it all happen 70 to 80 years ago (yes, sorry but 60 years ago, it was WW2 and the great flights and crossings had been long done already, the legendary pilots were mostly retired by then).
But don't even try to compare, or put this on the same level, the Aviation in the time of Lindbergh, Amelia, Saint-Exupery or Guillaumet was worlds away from ours today. Nevertheless, it is still a challenge today to fly a single-engine piston as fast as possible, across 7 countries, across vast mass of water or remote land areas. It is not impossible, it has already been done, yes, but not at this speed. They are in the plane from 6 a.m. to midnight most days, hardly have time to snack during the day, and have been deprived of sleep for 2 weeks now. And no, I don't think it is easy. The engine failure we had in the Arctic also shows that they are challenges with small piston engines. This could have happen in the middle of Hudson Bay or during the 570 nm crossing of the Caribean Sea. You may thing anyway that Lindbergh was kindda in the same situation, just a guy flying alone in a single engine airplane, over a vast mass of water, keeping the same heading. Boring isn't it.
I am not trying to make an issue about David Hempleman-Adams and Lorne White, not trying to say that they're the greatest aviators of our time (oh no! I am the greatest!), but I think that it is good that thinks like that get the attention of the media, and I love seeing that 1972 C210 doing that flight, going to these extremes. I love aviation, I love airplanes and I still get very enthousiast when I see people trying these kind of adventures. I wish more would try that kind of crossings, giving themselves goals, and would love to read about it too.
What are you getting excited by these days, football?

MLS-12D
19th Jul 2004, 18:46
Maybe if they weren't claiming that this was a big adventure (it isn't), or that H-A was the Pilot-in-Command (he isn't), I'd be more tolerant.

In any case, there is no need for publicity. Apparently (please correct me if I'm wrong) this flight is not raising money for charity, and clearly it is not doing anything that hasn't been done before, so ...

Seems like this a nice trip, but no more. Frankly, it is of no interest to anyone except the two people aboard and their immediate families. If they want to host a website, fine, but there's no reason for anyone to post regulate updates on this forum under the guise of news.

TonyR
19th Jul 2004, 19:11
MLS-12D,

I don't understand why you are so anoyed about this thread.

MLS-12D
19th Jul 2004, 20:56
See my post above; but of course, you're quite right, it's not worth wasting any more time on this dead horse. :bored:

ShenziRubani
19th Jul 2004, 22:20
MLS-12D,
Sorry, but I really don't understand your point, and the reasons behind it, but believe me, it is not a "nice trip" and if tourism was the purpose, it would have all been stopped already, and believe me, it would have been easy to blame it on an engine failure or very bad weather.
As for the 'pic' thing as it really seem to annoy you, the plane is N-registered, DHA is a PPL holder and has been checked out on C210, he's seating on the left-seat, by FAA regulation, he is therefore the pilot-in-command (I believe that you would disagree with that too, and maybe start on comparing FAA and JAA, etc, etc). You seem to be quite bitter about DHA attempting this challenge, or is it about the character himself? I don't really know, or really care, but you should chill out about things, try to get a life or go after real causes. Go flying.

FNG
19th Jul 2004, 22:56
I think that MLS' point is that a lot of hoo-hahing about two people doing something which pushes no boundaries and establishes no precedents and which appears to be aimed at promoting a commercial venture is all a bit tedious. Hey, if I could get someone to sponsor me to fly a long way, including some long water crossings, with a very experienced pilot sitting next to me and some sort of support network, I'd be pretty chuffed, but I wouldn't crow about it as though I was Scott of the Antarctic.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Jul 2004, 04:29
MLS-12D & FNG,

The way I look at this is a little different. David gets a lot of publicity with any undertaking now, since he has accomplished so much in the past.

Now if all this publicity inspires some young kids to take an interest in aviation or inspires someone who has wanted to learn to fly all their life but never took the plunge, then it is all worth it.

We need more good stories in aviation. I am tired of all the stories in the mainstream press either tied to 9-11 or a plane crash.

Happy Flying,

Naples Air Center, Inc.

TonyR
20th Jul 2004, 07:27
I agree Richard,

I would also rather read about a flight like this than a flight to "France" in our UK mags.

I have flown in North and South Amercia and much of it is very difficult, with few facilities outside the major cities.

Give the lads a break, and if DHA is a low time PPL I can't think of a better way to gain experience, no matter who is flying the aircraft.

If I had the chance again I would go with him.

Tony

MLS-12D
20th Jul 2004, 22:01
Exactly, FNG.

ShenziRubani, if H-A wants to say that he's in charge of the flying, it's no skin off my nose. A bit hard on his 'co-pilot', but I guess he doesn't have the money, so he has to put up with it (shades of Wilmer Stultz and Louis Gordon!)

The way I look at this is a little different. David gets a lot of publicity with any undertaking now, since he has accomplished so much in the past.This publicity is self-generated; it's not just happening out of the blue. Or was someone else responsible for the silly press release (http://canadianspotlight.com/cape2cape-press.html)?

An unfortunate consequence of all the inexplicable publicity is that H-A comes across as a prat ... that's too bad, as it seems that he's done some genuine stuff previously.

P.S. For the story of someone who did some real flying in a real airplane, without self-promotion or lots of paid help, see Solo to the Top of the World (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/158834102X/026-2759694-6114026).

ShenziRubani
21st Jul 2004, 16:02
Okay MLS12-D, it is too obvious in your comments that you have something personal against that guy and therefore your opinion cannot be fair, or balanced.
Too bad.

FNG
21st Jul 2004, 16:06
How do you deduce that? I agree with MLS's stance on this. I have no personal animus towards the participants. It is often considered bad form on PPrune to tell others what their comments mean.

MLS-12D
21st Jul 2004, 21:27
Indeed.

I have never met H-A; don't know anyone who has; and know nothing about him or his past accomplishments, other than what is available on the website. For all I know, he is a real salt-of-the-earth type.

I'm just put off by the ridiculous, vainglorious, commercially-motivated publicity (to quote from the website (http://www.canadianspotlight.com/cape2cape-documentary.html): "this fantastic voyage .... (undertaken by) an extreme explorer ... they embark upon such a remarkable journey". Give me a break :rolleyes: ).

There have been many worthy flights that have promoted aviation by showcasing a solo pilot meeting personal challenges and raising money for charity. Think Carl Hiebert (http://www.carlhiebert.com/profile.htm), or Doug Cairns (http://www.diabetesworldflight.com/html_pages/about.html). Those people are real heros, and it is unfortunate that their achievements are cheapened by all the unmerited praise and attention being bestowed upon this cheesy, slick commercial venture.

But of course, that's just my opinion.

Flyin'Dutch'
21st Jul 2004, 21:42
Anyway, how is he getting on?

I think that these enterprises are a complete hoot for those that undertake them, until something goes wrong, the latter being the main reason why I would not undertake one.

Getting paid for flying has to be nice and if you can do something for charity in the process than that is even better.

Exposing yourself to the additional risks that flying in these remote places brings with it is something which these people obviously enjoy otherwise they would not do it.

That makes them folks who have an interesting tale or two to tell but not explorers as we undertstand explorers to be.

Think that some folks are a bit harsh on the Pilots but have to say that the bickering is probably fueled by the agressive defence by the spokesperson for the home team on here.

So rather than contributing to the bickering can you give us an update?

FD

slim_slag
22nd Jul 2004, 10:46
I'd like to hear more too.

I also think it's great when a student pilot posts his first solo story, sure it's been done before but it's an adventure to the person doing it and no harm in letting everybody know about it.

FNG
22nd Jul 2004, 11:01
I agree with what you say about first solo posts, slim slag. They appear to have died out here after they all got stuck in one mega-thread. Ditto skill test passes (although posts on that subject have not dropped off to the same extent).

ShenziRubani
22nd Jul 2004, 22:08
I just got a call, after being stuck in Bahia Blanca due to weather and very low freezing level (they were picking up ice at 4,000' yesterday, they have managed to make it to Punta Arenas late this afternoon.
The trip is almost done, now the fun part starts for me as I am heading South to pick up N210SM and fly it back to Pittsburgh. Not crazy like those 2 daredevils though, I am going to make it safe and will follow the coast and the cross along the Caribean. :}

TonyR
22nd Jul 2004, 22:24
You can stay at home and I'll pick it up for you

those 2 daredevils Em.. well.. don't know if I'd just go that far.

Tony

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Jul 2004, 01:11
Tony,

I would call anyone that crosses the heart of the Amazon Jungle in a single engine piston plane a "Daredevil". You are betting your life on everything working in that plane, especially the engine, while you are making that crossing.

Happy Flying,

Naples Air Center, Inc.

P.S. Chris, will you be stopping in Naples on your way back to PA?

ShenziRubani
23rd Jul 2004, 03:28
Yes, I am not sure it is normal flying to do it with freezing levels reaching ground, or IMC for hours, over the Amazon, in a single-engine. But then again, that's my personal opinion, I understand if others don't agree.

Richard, we will definitely stop in Naples on the way back, it is still a pilgrimage for us to go back to NAC.

Hope you are still super busy.
Chris

TonyR
23rd Jul 2004, 07:20
Richard,

I think it was a good thing for DHA to do and I agree that any publicity like this is better than air crashes etc, but dont push it too far.

I spent enough time in South America to know just a little (although it was over 20 years ago).

There are lots of pilots who cross the heart of the Amazon Jungle in a single engine every day for years. Some of my friends have been working there for 30 years.

South Amercia is NOT the hostile place most people think it is, sure there are vast areas of rain forrest. There are also many usable airstrips and logging camps with fuel and supplies and aircraft engineers, the weather no worse than many areas of the USA, and people still fly there (sometimes in IMC).

The ferry pilots who cross the North Atlantic every week (without publicity) are at much more risk than DHA ever was on this trip.

I am always interested in reading about a good trip but not when people start talking $h1t£.

Tony

ShenziRubani
23rd Jul 2004, 13:59
They will try to make it over Cape Horn today, despite bad met report:
"expect frz levels to be near ground level in the morning, and 500 to 1000 feet during the day, rain/snow showers and brisk winds likely....a typical winter day on the Cape"

Hey Tony, the Atlantic, Africa and the World circumnavigation are all planned. Maybe 2 of them before the end of the year.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Jul 2004, 15:04
Tony,

I have not crossed the Amazon Jungle in many years. I guess by now, it is a lot smaller and there are more places to land. I just remember looking at endless jungle where if you ever crashed, it would swallow you up, never to been see again.

Happy Flying,

Naples Air Center, Inc.

P.S. All those people that cross it daily with Single Engine Planes are still "Daredevils" in my book too. ;)

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2004, 15:57
Tony, obviously you have not received The Word.

This trip is not a normal flight; it is The Most Amazing and Perilous Extreme Aviation Adventure Ever Attempted.

In case anyone doesn't fully understand, I should explain that the Intrepid Explorer and his Fearless Flying Companion are in a Single-Engined Airplane. :uhoh: If that's not sufficient, please note that it is a Piston Engine. :eek:

Press Release: I will be doing some flying myself tomorrow, in an Antique Airplane. I will attempt Death-Defying Circuits, which are Extremely Hazardous, involving Repeated Landings (as is well-known, landing is The Most Dangerous Part of Flying). It is possible that there may even be some Menacing Crosswinds. Please alert the CBC, BBC, and fire and rescue services.

Charles Lindberg, Max Conrad et al. must be rolling in their graves ... :rolleyes:

Chuck Ellsworth
23rd Jul 2004, 16:19
I probably shouldn't comment again but for what it is worth the Amazon can have its dangers, such as thunderstorms and inhospitiable areas where it would be very difficult to find you should you go down. I have flown most of South America on both sides and found the Amazon to be quite interesting.

If you are looking for the most unforgiving route on earth to fly I would have to choose the North Atlantic crossing, Greenland is without a doubt the most formadible place on the planet in my opinion. If the weather goes out on you and you have planned a fuel stop in Greenland you are truly in trouble...big trouble.

It is a relief to see these guys made it in spite of the risks they took.

Chuck Ellsworth

ShenziRubani
23rd Jul 2004, 16:23
MLS-12D, I love you Dude!! I think that your posts have been the most exciting posted on this forum for yonks. Please keep the good spirit going, give us some more!!
:8

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2004, 16:33
I see that my sarcasm is being repaid in kind! :ouch:

FNG
23rd Jul 2004, 16:52
Irony Rating renewals cost a fortune these days.

TonyR
23rd Jul 2004, 17:21
Yes it was a nice thing to do

No it was not really a dangerous flight

Perhaps if ShenziRubani was to drop in and chat to to MAF or some of the other Aid agency pilots who do it every day it would change his view on the important things in life.

Some people I know have to make choices most of us would not like to even think about.

ie. Do I fly in this weather and risk my life, the aircraft and the medical crew, OR do I let someone I don't know who lives 150 miles away DIE.

Those pilots are my flying heros.

Tony

FNG
23rd Jul 2004, 18:41
Mine too, Tony [Edit: see below]. Stand by for a new thread....

slim_slag
23rd Jul 2004, 19:06
Well Tony,

Quite topical really....

"ie. Do I fly in this weather and risk my life, the aircraft and the medical crew, OR do I let someone I don't know who lives 150 miles away DIE."

I'd stay put and let the unknown person take his/her chances.

Recent accident from South Carolina (http://www2.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040720X01007&key=1) where word on the street is other helicopter pilots looked at the weather and refused to go.

One flight nurse and a paramedic dead.......

FNG
23rd Jul 2004, 19:33
The ethics of rescue is a very interesting topic, interestingly covered in popular books and films such as The Perfect Storm and Saving Private Ryan. Do you risk the lives of five, ten, a hundred, to save a single life? It appears that most people who work in rescue choose the answer "yes", and I quite like that, whatever the strict logic may dictate.

ShenziRubani
23rd Jul 2004, 19:35
TonyR,

I apologise but although I tend to look at Medevac pilots as heroes, and do believe that the MAF guys are doing a great job, I don't tend to admire charity given on the basis of religion. I admire the guys who do it purely for the sake of saving peoples, not in exchange of bibles. I have lived in Africa for over 30 years, and been intensely flying there in the last 3, as a passenger as well as a pilot and we are not too many would "admire" MAF over there. Other guys like Fr Pat Patten of FMS in Arusha Tanzania, or the pilots of AMREF in Nairobi, are real heroes. You know Tony, you don't have to do that job neither to fly in crazy conditions: basically when you work in these countries, you cannot really say "no", especially when you are a young pilot making hours for crap pay, whether you are lfying scared passengers or cargo.
I flew there, I flew in these conditions, we were flying up to 10 hours a day, daily, no days off, and I still think that DHA and Lorne are daredevils for what they have done: I do not enjoy flying in dangerous conditions (I know little things get people excited nowadays, especially in private aviation, but a frozen elevator trim and -20C of temp isn't the kind of thing the majority of us do daily) and I do tend to take those who do crazy things for fun "daredevils"

Anyway, for those who were following, mission accomplished, they just landed back in Punta Arenas after overflying Cape Horn.

MLS-12D
23rd Jul 2004, 19:41
I'd stay put and let the unknown person take his/her chances.Easier said than done, I think.

An obvious challenge is assessing the likelihood of the two risks materializing. E.g., if one knew that there would be a 5% chance of the aircraft crashing and killing all aboard (say, three people including the patient), versus a 98% chance of the patient dying if left in his or her present location, then the go / no go decision would be relatively easy. But I suspect that calculating those respective numbers is often a difficult, approximate and time-pressured process.

I certainly wouldn't want to make such decisions, and I too admire flight crews who put their lives on the line to assist those in need of medical attention.

MLS-12D

P.S. It's funny the way alliances shift on these threads. TonyR and I usually scrap on things, but we both seem to agree, at least in part, that many of the references to how exciting and dangerous this trip is (or now "was", I guess) have been over-the-top. ShenziRubani and I clearly disagree on the latter issue, but on the other hand I share his discomfort with religiously-motivated charity work.

One thing we all have in common is a love of flying. :ok:

TonyR
23rd Jul 2004, 21:39
My view of this flight has not really changed.

I think it was a great adventure for those involved but, I think ShenziRubani has just over played the whole thing.

I got out the maps and from what I can see I could have done the whole flight in out TB20 without extra fuel tanks.

The weather is the weather where ever you fly and if you want to go you just have to suck it.

I am not defending MAF, they may pray before flying (is that a bad thing) but I have never heard them ask a person's religion before they agree to fly them.

I was just trying to get things into perspective.

Tony MAF (http://www.maf-uk.org/) and more MAF (http://www.maf.org)

ShenziRubani
23rd Jul 2004, 22:09
I enjoy this thread. TonyR, MLS-12D, I guess I'll have to carefully choose my words: I still want to think that this was a great adventure, I understand that it sounded like I "have over played the whole thing" and probably I have, because I am still convinced that this was a great adventure. I still think that it has been a great achievement to do as fast as they did it (we had a time constraint on this, the challenge being to arrive in Punta Arenas by July 21st), to fly the amount of hours they did daily, to have have those great mechanics work their butts of for 22 hours non-stop to change the engine, I think that some of the approaches they had to shoot were extremely challenging, I believe that the weather in the last 4 days has been specially bad, for the region and time of year. Yes, "the weather is the weather" but most of us would have not gone, unless it was for the job.
They are not "heroes", they didn't achieve something extraordinary in the world of aviation, yes, but they have done something good for general aviation, they have, like others, pushed the limits of a plane and it is a good feeling to see that we can still do this today.

TonyR -
I am sorry, but MAF do not fly people out randomly - I am sure that there are exceptions though - The "locals" have to be part of their "programs", they do a great job only for the communities whom they're involved with, communities that have accepted the bibles and be part of the Crusade. I am a Christian too, but I do not like the endoctrinement that is the main goal of MAF.
And come on dude, what's with the jetfighter helmet in a Cessna 206? Birdog, Birdog! People at FMS or AMREF, or the Royal Flying DOctors in Australia don't need to wear Maverick helmet to fly into crap airstrips in crap weather.

FNG
24th Jul 2004, 07:40
More shifts in alignment (this is like playing "Diplomacy" in the Sixth Form: your fleet can have Denmark if my Army in Prussia can have Warsaw). I had not realised that Tony was referring to flying God-botherers. Aid pilots: heroes. Airborne Biblebashers: boo hiss (ditto all God-botherers of any description anywhere. Long live the Tooth Fairy, the only one true deity).

TonyR
24th Jul 2004, 07:45
FNG

I mentioned MAF because I have some friends who work for them.

I do not rate MAF above any other Mission or Aid agency, but I do know that they transport more aid and sick people than Bibles.

Tony

FNG
24th Jul 2004, 08:57
Fair enough, Tony, though it is to my mind regrettable that they have to mar their good work by seeking to poison the minds of vulnerable people. You may have gathered that I am an evangelical militant atheist, who stops just short of believing that people with any form of religious belief should be put in camps and beaten with wire until they abandon superstition and embrace reason (either that, or be forced to fly PA 28s, but that could be considered too brutal).

TonyR
24th Jul 2004, 09:07
FNG

I do still go to Church so I'll say a wee prayer for you next time.

If you gave me a choice of the "Camp" or flying the PA28 I'm not sure which I'd take. perhaps something in between, like being forced to be co-piot with DHA on his next trip?

Take care, 'cause if I'm wrong about God I have nothing to loose.

Tony

ShenziRubani
25th Jul 2004, 19:00
The Challenge is finished, they got 2 official speed over land records established in Canada and 2 more are pending registration in the US. 11,500 minles in 11 days. 1045 miles a day. Well well well. Not really what I call a piece of cake!

I landed in Buenos Aires this afternoon to pick up the plane. Beginning of a great trip for myself, in a part of the World that I don't know, and great for my logbook as I always enjoy adding new airports to my list. Of course the flight schedule will not be as crazy as those 2 adventurers.