PDA

View Full Version : Weekend in Mull!!!

EGCJFlyer
12th Jul 2004, 20:57
Well, it finally happened, the weekend came, after a week of praying for decent weather and oh, what a fabulous trip we had!

So, in the end, we went 3 up with a fair bit of luggage and set-off on our merry ways to the Island of Mull and more specifically, the wonderful Glenforsa airfield.

Friday morning came, had one last chat with the CFI, inspite of some raised eyebrows at the amount of bags... one last discussion over the route I'd chosen and was delighted to hear, "yep, plan looks a good 'un, away you go and enjoy it" and off we went for our 29 departure out of Sherburn with a bit of a crosswind. 500m used and up we went, exactly as the calculations said! Routed up through the Yorskhire dales and overhead Carlisle city on our way to our first stop - Prestwick. First landing there and what a friendly bunch of people they are for such a big airport. Great to see my brother waiting there for me, which I didn't expect. Cheers, Deeko! So cup of tea sipped, some chocolate scoffed, life jackets on, and off we went. "Line up 31 after the landing 747" was the call and soon enough we were heading out of the Class D airspace over to Arran and on our way to Mull - couldn't have asked for better vis and the sun was shining - bet they couldn't say that in England on Friday!! Up the Firth of Lorn, round the Sound of Mull and Glenforsa was in sight. Called up and told 25 in use. Tried first time, approach too high, didn't like it and around we went for attempt number two - perfect, we landed on one of the most beautiful islands in Scotland and a fab airfield to go with it. Their grass runway is like a bowling green and at 730m long, easily preferable to a lot of hard surface runways in this country! :ok:

We were greeted by Dave, airfield manager and Brendan Walsh, owner of the Glenforsa Hotel and owner of that lovely Piper Cub based on the airfield. So into the bar for a bite to eat and some chat on the flight up, sharing stories and a laugh as the night progressed in the glorious settings of the hotel with the views over the Sound of Mull. Beer was flowing and yes, inspite of giving up ciggies a couple of weeks before, I did succumb to one that night. Brendan, I promise I will chuck it - back off them again! Next morning to a glorious breakfast and some more flying around the island - words escape me on trying to describe - only thing I can say, is if you've ever thought about going - GO! And if you've never thought about going - YOU'RE MAD! Popped over to Oban for some fuel and my first introduction to Brian Mullen - all I can say mate is that you're a star :ok: thanks for all your help over the weekend mate, definitely be back - great airfield. So back to the Glenforsa Hotel - Brendan, Alison - thank you, you both absolutely made the trip for me and your hospitality in the welcome was simply outstanding - I for one will make sure I am a regular visitor to your hotel. Highlight of the Saturday was Brendan's offer to take me flying in his pristine Piper Cub, my first trip in a tail-dragger and a fab one at that - thank you so much for that, think you've introduced me into my next set of lessons to become proficient in that type of aircraft.

http://www.glenforsa.co.uk

Sunday came and it was time to depart - first stop Oban to meet my brothers flying in from Prestwick in the club's C172 - good landing mate and great to see you. Superb to be flying in the same airspace at the same time - a first for both of us. As we departed Oban and I tracked down towards the Turnberry VOR, so it was time for my bro to turn inbound for Prestwick - so cool. Trip uneventful until we reached the dreaded English weather (as a Scotsman living in England, it's actually great to say that as it's normally the reverse!!). Through the Dales and routing to Sherburn, we encountered some impassible weather and time for an altered course out towards Ripon and flatter ground. That was great, except the cloudbase in places was at 800'!! :uhoh: Any lower and it was time to turn back towards Teeside and a possible use of a planned alterative. As we flew closer, so the weather improved and so Sherburn was once again possible - total success and weeks of detailed planning and checking paid odd without doubt.

Such a dissapointment to be home and I'm unsure how I'm gonna beat that one!

So to sum up......

1. VISIT GLENFORSA - it's amazing!
2. Can the local flights and spread your wings.
3. Planning does pay off!
4. Enjoy.............!

Finally, if anyone is thinking of flying to Glenforsa and is unsure - pm me, I'd be more than happy to help you with any queries you may have.

Finally, finally, thanks to all the ATC in different units, who helped make my flight a good one.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed my encounters and visit GLENFORSA!!!!! I can feel a planned fly-in coming on..........!

PhilD
12th Jul 2004, 21:04
Hi EGCJ

So you were the 3 guys who flew into Oban on Sunday and were sitting outside enjoying the view as we departed? It's great to hear how much you enjoyed the trip - we did too.

Happy flying

PhilD

TonyR
12th Jul 2004, 21:11
I am glad you enjoyed the trip I really love that place too.

The only way to stay interested is to get out there and visit other places.

Best wishes

Tony

PH-UKU
12th Jul 2004, 21:40
Well done laddie !!;) So glad you spread your wings and had such a good time. What ac were you in ? What time did you leave PWK on Friday/leave Oban on Sunday? I might have been working Scottish 127.27 at the time if you called ... wish I'd known.

Now, if you're feeling adventurous .........

http://oberon.ark.com/~marv/crft/

..... and check out the extreme flying section !!

:E

The Trolls' Troll
12th Jul 2004, 21:47
A trip like that makes flying really worth it. THAT'S what it's all about. Don't forget Gigha, God's Island.
Have a look at my website navok.co.uk. Some of the pics will be familiar.

EGCJFlyer
12th Jul 2004, 22:02
Hi Phil D, we certainly were those 3 sat with our cups of tea. I remember you and your good lady - hope you had a nice flight home.

TonyR - absolutely correct, it's a travesty a lot of clubs don't actively encourage it. I'm fortunate to be in one that does.

PH-UKU - love your call sign - superb!! Flying a PA28 (G-BNOE). Departed PWK around 1230 Fri and departed Oban at 4pm on Sun. If I spoke to you, cheers mate, if not, thank your colleagues for me.

AWL - never considered it but next time I'm up there, I most certainly will.

Cheers guys.

Whirlybird
13th Jul 2004, 08:33
Get a little more experience under your belt, then next time...land on the beach at Barra. :ok:

So glad it went well.

Deeko01
13th Jul 2004, 15:08
EGCJ

Good to see you at the weekend bro, was a good trip!!

PH-UKU

I was behind him in G-PFCL C172 for PK

Oban is a lovely place to visit and very friendly too, would recommend it to anyone.

Happy Landings
Deeko01