PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in the USA

picky
12th Jul 2004, 20:24
I have recently passed my PPL and was hoping to do some hour bulding whilst in Florida in a couple of weeks. I have applied for an FAA licence for as it states 60 days I don't think I will have it in time. Is there any flying that can be done with say an instructor or another pilot that can go in my log book whilst being on a Visa waiver?

Thanks

Charlie Zulu
12th Jul 2004, 20:49
Hi Picky,

You may find that the conversion process for the FAA PPL issued under FAR Part 61.75 will be rather quicker than 60 days.

The verification of authentication letter from the FAA in Oklahoma arrived within two weeks of starting the process.

However I did have the letter of authenticity sent to the flying school that I was attending in Florida. If the letter were sent to my home address in the UK then it probably would have taken another week, three weeks in total.

Once you have the letter all you have to do is telephone the nominated FSDO for an appointment to pick up your FAA PPL.

You could technically fly as an FAA Solo Student under P1 but you *will* require an M1 visa to do so. If you did decide to go down this route then you would also be quite restricted as the instructor would have to approve and endorse all of your solo flights. You would be limited to solo or dual. No passengers.

You could fly as PUT with an instructor BUT this will also require an M1 visa.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

TonyR
12th Jul 2004, 21:00
I have done a lot of flying in the US over the years and have recently noticed that some schools and some instructors will want to give you a rather long check ride and ground brief, which when the instructor adds his rate on can be very expensive.

Be very carful where you go and make sure you ask enough questions and get the answers in writing.

It is a great place to fly but not always as cheap as the adverts portray.

Have fun

Tony

Charlie Zulu
13th Jul 2004, 07:42
Hi Picky,

That is a good point that TonyR makes in regards to checkouts over in the States.

Another additional note is that the checkout should also be a BFR in order for your FAA PPL to be validated. A BFR will then be required every two years to keep the FAA PPL valid, even if it is based upon your JAA PPL. A BFR consists of an hour or so ground and the same in the air before the instructor can endorse your logbook.

By the way TonyR, I met a friend of yours in Naples (Florida) last week.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

FlyingForFun
13th Jul 2004, 08:58
You could fly as PUT with an instructor BUT this will also require an M1 visaSorry, CZ, but that is not correct. You are able to fly with an instructor, and log the time as PUT, on a Visa Waiver, so long as you are not training for a license or rating. Club checkouts, BFRs, and just flying around for a bit of fun are all ok. Training for a PPL, IMC, IR, CPL and so on, however, will require an M1 Visa. That is assuming that you are entitled to enter the country on a Visa Waiver in the first place, of course. And remember that the only thing which really counts is the way the person working the immigration desk on the day you arrive interprets the rules..... if he decides to send you home, it makes no difference what the law says, you're going home and you don't have any right to appeal.

FFF
--------------

MLS-12D
13th Jul 2004, 15:44
Another option would be to do your time building in Australia, Canada [see this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135283)] or South Africa, where you wouldn't have to worry about silly visa restrictions and pre-authorizations. :rolleyes:

All other things being equal, Australia would be my own choice; but of course the air fare to and from would be much more expensive than the other two options.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Jul 2004, 12:19
FlyingForFun,

If you are flying as PUT under a student medical, you must be on either an M-1, J-1, or F-1 Visa. The reason is because he is not legal to fly in the U.S. without the signoff of the instructor. Note it is a Student Medical and as a Student you need either an M-1, J-1, or F-1 Visa.

Happy flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

Charlie Zulu
14th Jul 2004, 17:19
I was just about to reply to FlyingForFun but have just noticed Richard has already beat me to it! He's also said in fewer words what I would have said. ;)

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

englishal
14th Jul 2004, 18:15
Luckily the INS don't talk to the FAA ......doh, did I just say that

Charlie Zulu
14th Jul 2004, 18:26
LOL!

Hope the FAA don't read PPRUNE to give them idea's...

;)

englishal
14th Jul 2004, 18:27
Of course I was only thinking aloud, I would hate to upset some people ;)

picky
14th Jul 2004, 19:31
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I'm new to this, and it's great to see such a good response.

I'm still a little confused however....is it really that clear cut i.e. your either P1 or PUT - no inbetween?

I have actually been in contact with a flying school in Kissimmee, which say they can offer me some time whilst on a visa waiver. Do they know a genuine loop hole or are they bending/breaking the rules?

If I fly with an instructor purely for the experience and don't log the time in my log book is that allowed under the visa waiver?

TonyR
14th Jul 2004, 19:37
You can fly with any pilot or instructor for experience on a visa waiver if your not training, but remember the instructor will want paid.

You might be luckey enough to find someone who is willing to share flying with you, lots of more experienced pilots go there to build hours.

Tony