PDA

View Full Version : Flying after operating hours

Speedbird744
12th Jul 2004, 15:24
I'm planning on flying down to the Isles of Scilly in a month or so.
On my return leg to Southend (H24), i want to catch some night flying but as the summer days are so long do airfields have any policy that might allow you to depart after operating hours maybe for a fee?
Just some thoughts please..

Flyin'Dutch'
12th Jul 2004, 15:56
Most airfields only allow after hours flying to residents, but you may find that if you approach them individually and explain your predicament that they may be willing to accommodate for you.

FD

QNH 1013
12th Jul 2004, 16:35
The last time I enquired, some two years ago, I was told that the airfield on the Isle of Scilly was run by the local council who closed it on Sundays !

I telephoned to ask if I could depart on Sunday as I didn't need a licenced airfield and was told that was not possible.

I have therefore been unable to visit the Isle of Scilly for a weekend.

Many airfields will let you depart out of hours providing you accept that the field will be unlicenced. I have sometimes been asked to sign a form to confirm I am aware that there is no fire cover.

Genghis the Engineer
12th Jul 2004, 16:40
Old Sarum is on your route, last departure is 2000 (or SS+0:30 if that's earlier), the clubhouse is usually open until around 1830, and if you want to kill time for a few intervening hours, Old Sarum Castle is just over the road.

G

englishal
12th Jul 2004, 17:10
I think Bournemouth will by prior arrangement. It'll cost about £300 per hour though :oh:

In Altissimus
13th Jul 2004, 08:53
I had to look into this recently when planning our Dawn to Dusk escapade.

I found that it varies widely; some fields hardly seem to care, some just require some paperwork, some want to charge a fortune (generally the bigger airports ), while at others it is simply not possible.

The flight guides were not much help in this respect. There's no alternative to phoning each possible field and asking. (Or even visiting in advance if that's practical!)

Charlie Zulu
13th Jul 2004, 08:59
Fly into Cardiff on your way back to Southend from the Isles of Scilly.

Its a 24 Hour fully lighted International Airport with no out of hours fees as the place doesn't close... :D

You may find obtaining Avgas between 6pm and 9am has a surcharge though as the flying club has to be called out for out of hours fuel requests.

Speedbird744
13th Jul 2004, 16:36
Thanks.
I'll look into stopping off at Cardiff, maybe doing the ILS.

BTW Charlie Zulu, didn't we meet over at Naples Air Center?
Were you flying the seminole?

david viewing
15th Jul 2004, 11:55
Why not consider stopping at Perranporth until dusk? They have an out of hours form that they can fax to you, or you can complete on arrival during hours. Very nice people.

Charlie Zulu
15th Jul 2004, 14:45
Hi Speedbird747,

Yup we did meet and yes I was flying the dollar guzzling Seminole. ;)

Let me know when you're going to try Cardiff at night... I'll be at the club if you want to meet up (the club is open 24 hours a day on a proximity card access system).

Best wishes,

Richard.