PDA

View Full Version : The default antenna on the Garmin GPSMap 196

Pilot16
12th Jul 2004, 11:54
Hi,

I have been wondering, does the default detatchable antenna that comes on the 196 have any use at all?

I have noticed there is no sattelite signal reception with the detatchable antenna on. The whole thing only works with the remote antenna only. Is this the case with eveyone else?

I find the remote antenna is very inconvenient due to the long length of wire (tho I hate to complain, its a great piece of technology)

P16

Cutoff
12th Jul 2004, 12:04
I have found it of limited use, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Therefore I use the remote antenna all the time. I wrap the cable up so I only use the bit I need - works a treat with this everytime - the 196 is a stonkin device.

Aim Far
12th Jul 2004, 12:44
The normal antenna works fine for me but then my plane has a bubble canopy so reception isn't really an issue.

drauk
12th Jul 2004, 13:37
It works pretty well in my C182, on the yoke. It isn't quite as reliable as it is when using the external antenna. I fly with another guy who uses his Pilot III on the yoke with the internal antenna all the time and he does a lot of IMC flying.

I guess it depends on the design of the cockpit. Still, as someone else said, just bundle up the extra length of wire and use the external one.

skydriller
12th Jul 2004, 19:17
Aeroplane - Robin with Bubble canopy, no problems, integral stub aerial works fine and not lost reception sofar...

Car - VW need to use the remote aerial attatched to the windshield with those sucker thing-a-mi-jigs.

Still have yet to use it in Marine mode....my mate keeps threatening to take me on his yacht, but it hasnt happened yet...

Regards, SD..

S-Works
13th Jul 2004, 08:03
There were a batch of the small antennas that had problems. I had to have mine replaced and I recall Ludwig had the same problem.

My 196 and now 296 actually works perfectly in my Cessna and all my cars on the internal antenna.

If youa re getting no recepetion at all or a very poor reception then it may be worth you getting the arial changed. I also found the connectors on the external arial or not very resiliant either. I do 300+ flights a year and remove the unit from the plane each time and this wears the gold plate from the pin in the centre of the connector which then means the antenna starts to become unreliable. I am on my 3rd external antenna.

I do have to say that I get all of my gear from Harry Mendelsohn who provides the most stunning service I have ever come across and when I have had problems like this has changed the parts without question same day.