PDA

View Full Version : Summer Fly-in at Carlisle Airport

TonyR
12th Jul 2004, 09:15
Someone mentioned the Carlisle Fly-in (http://www.carlisleairport.co.uk/SummerFly-In2004.htm) a while back.

Is anyone interested in comming?

July 31 - Aug 1

Tony

Ringway Flyer
12th Jul 2004, 20:08
Could be interested - what goes on there?

TonyR
12th Jul 2004, 20:50
It's just a friendly active GA airfield and I think it's worth supporting.

Tony

Scuzi
12th Jul 2004, 23:16
I might be interested for the 31st as I'm off work. I intended to go to Carlisle a few weeks back but had to cancel due to bad wx. Sounds like a good plan.

Floppy Link
13th Jul 2004, 09:06
1) If I have my permit
2) If I'm not OIC child
3) If the weather is OK
4) If the Ulster contingent promise to bring over a pack of Tayto salt and vinegar...

I'll be there!
Russell

http://www.espotlight.co.uk/gbtbi/listlogo.jpg

witchdoctor
13th Jul 2004, 09:25
I believe the same weekend coincides with a paradropping event of some description.

However, not wishing to put anyone off, there isn't actually a great deal at Carlisle worth coming over to see (except the fab scenery). Some rusty, sorry-looking, badly maintained old hulks they call an air museum, a bar/cafe that closes early, and that's about it. The people are generally friendly and helpful, but they are rather anal about hi-viz jackets.

If the fly-in happens to be well attended that would be great, especially as the airfield is hardly thriving at the best of times. It always seems like the kind of place you go because you need to, rather than because you want to.

Shame really.

TonyR
13th Jul 2004, 10:08
Why not make an effort to support them then.

witchdoctor
13th Jul 2004, 14:23
I'm based there. Supporting is for others to do, but the airfield could do a lot more to help itself if you ask me.

TonyR
13th Jul 2004, 19:05
witchdoctor, perhaps you should tell us your gripes as I assume you are not happy at Carlisle.

All I can say is that anytime I go there I get good manners and I don't get robbed. I have been to places where I can't say that.

If some one bothers to have a fly-in then I think they are trying and if I can I will support them.

Tony

Barshifter
13th Jul 2004, 22:08
Witchdoctor

If you are based there how comes you havent had the recent letter which explains exactly when the "paradrop" is?I might add that it dosn't clash with the fly-in.Im with Tony on this one,it should be supported.I will be there and Im not even based there.

Barshifter

P.s Hope the witchdoctor reads his NOTAMS for the "Paradrop" Days

locksmith
13th Jul 2004, 23:43
Can I have a lift from BFS, you know how the school don't like loosing aircraft for a whole day

Scuzi
14th Jul 2004, 00:21
If it's the school I'm thinking of (WG) then they'll most likely let you have the 140 for the day but you'll have to beat me to it :p

TonyR
14th Jul 2004, 16:04
I see the new Pilot mag has even a pull out airfield guide for Carlisle this month.

EGCJFlyer
14th Jul 2004, 19:02
Hi Tony, yes, would defo be interested in fly-in @ Carlisle - never been though was in their overhead last week. If anyone else from Sherburn fancies, this, please let me know.

Cheers :O

TonyR
14th Jul 2004, 19:09
We'll make it a North West PPRuNe meet.

Which day? or shall we wait to look at the weather?

I might be there both days as I am going to visit friends and may stay overnight.

Tony

NinjaBill
14th Jul 2004, 20:13
EGCJ, check your PMs

Everyone else, Ill hopefully see you there,

NB

TonyR
15th Jul 2004, 22:29
It would be nice to hear from some of those involved in running the fly-in, perhaps someone could let them know that they might have some customers.

I have sent emails to the addresses on the fly-in site but heard nothing yet

Tony

Northern Highflyer
16th Jul 2004, 09:16
I may be able to fly in from Sherburn on the 31st. I have been wanting to visit for a while now but just never got round to it.

Barshifter
16th Jul 2004, 17:48
Tony

If last years PFA fly-in at Kirkbride is anything to go by(This is in place of it Im led to believe)there should be quite a number turning up.I know a lot of GA divert to Kirkbride because of the pricy landing fees at Carlisle,and as these have been waived for both days there should be no excuses.

The contact "Mark" on the flyin website is usually on the reception desk on weekdays if you needed to talk to him.

Barshifter

TonyR
22nd Jul 2004, 21:02
I might have a couple of spare seats from N Ireland I think we have three aircraft going from our group at the moment.

Scuzi
23rd Jul 2004, 00:49
Tony, if I can't get an aircraft booked could I avail of one of those spare seats please?

Much obliged :ok:

witchdoctor
23rd Jul 2004, 10:47
Looks like a chance of the BBMF doing a small flypast and a possible visit from a Herc during the weekend. Might be worth a quick look.

whitingiom
23rd Jul 2004, 17:00
Any of you guys coming via IoM?

I would love to be involved - share costs etc.

I'm currently 11 hours into PPL (getting circuits wrong!) and would like to see Carlisle as I understand that's where my x country will go.

PM me

Jon

locksmith
29th Jul 2004, 14:01
Just thought I'd bring this to the top.

I hope to meet some of you on Sunday.

Ken

flying snapper
2nd Aug 2004, 10:34
So...How did it go???

Weather seemed nice?

aztec25
2nd Aug 2004, 19:31
Dropped in on Sunday morning from Liverpool.

Weather great - over the top via Kendal and Penrith.
Blackpool and Scottish FIS excellent as usual.
Carlisle ATC spot on.
Parking easy - thanks to the volunteer marshals.

Only downside - the young girl behind the bar needs lessons - nothing major or complicated - just how to say hello, thankyou and manage a smile.

I'd certainly visit again.