PDA

View Full Version : Headset and cd player question

bravojs
11th Jul 2004, 12:17
i apologise if this topic has came up before, but i will like to ask whether there are any aviation headsets that can be plugged into an ordinary cd player with just a adapter- and work. i live in singapore where the only headset retailer is Telex, so if i m gonna bring over any other brands it has gotta work. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated. thanks

S-Works
11th Jul 2004, 13:24
My BOSE-X works fine with a CD player and you get the benefit of ANR!

bravojs
11th Jul 2004, 13:32
thanks for your reply but a Bose-X is kinda over my budget :sad:

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Jul 2004, 13:47
All a bit of non techonology these headsets so should be no problem.

FD

bravojs
12th Jul 2004, 11:12
pardon my ignorance but does that mean that with just a jack adapter any headset will work on my portable discman with a standard headphone input? i dont want to do any modifications on the headset nor buy anything like the "muse headset music adapter"

Pilot16
12th Jul 2004, 11:40
Hi,

I have wondered whether music can be played in flight in GA aircraft.

Ive never done this but as pilot in command, just how safe is it to be listening to music AND keeping an ear out on the radio, two things at once?

Can both be listened to at the same time?

bravojs
12th Jul 2004, 11:55
i suppose it is possible to listen to music inflight but i dont think u can listen to music simultaneously and listen to atc transmissions. i think theres a function where the music pauses while a transmission is being broadcast? anyway i just want to use my headset as an ordinary headphone when i m not flying wonder anyone has the answer:bored:

ACW 335
12th Jul 2004, 12:10
For inflight music, tune your ADF into 252

Brooklands
12th Jul 2004, 12:25
Well, I've used my Peltor's in my Hi-FI system before now without any problems, so I can't see any reason why yours won't work.

Brooklands

SQUAWKIDENT
12th Jul 2004, 15:33
"G-B**M repeat your message... the Hard House bassline in the background is rendering your position report unreadable.."

;)

Flyin'Dutch'
12th Jul 2004, 15:48
anyway i just want to use my headset as an ordinary headphone when i m not flying wonder anyone has the answer

B,

No need for :bored:

After all you did ask this question on an aviation forum!

And did not make it very clear in your initial posting that this is what you wanted to do either.

Yes you can and even listen in stereo if your headset is suitably equipped, so off to the local RadioShack and go and spend those 2 dollars on yer lead I suppose.

FD

Timothy
12th Jul 2004, 18:01
With Garmin audio panels you just plug your music source (I have used FM radio, CD player and MP3 jukebox successfully) into Music In and then you can route it to all headsets, isolate the pilot or isolate the crew (ie two pilots.)

If a radio transmission comes in music is supressed in any headset that isn't isolated from the radio.

It works brilliantly and I am listening to the Today Program or 6 o'clock news most flights.

dublinpilot
12th Jul 2004, 20:09
I'm not sure why you would want to listen to music on the ground through your aviation head set, but if it's because you think the quality will be better, think again.

I've a top of the range DC, ANR headset, which makes ATC transmittions incredibly clear. In fact, in the air it's the dogs :mad: . However, I did try to listen to a cd player once, thinking the sould would be brilliant, but dispite the fact that they are stereo, I find that a good pair of music headphones are far superior.

dp

MLS-12D
13th Jul 2004, 15:14
Pilot16,

I believe that this gadget (http://www.psengine.com/muse.shtml) was specifically designed to permit pilots to listen to music whilst keeping an ear out for radio transmissions. See further here (http://www.avionicswest.com/muse.html#Muse).

I have not tried it myself, but PS Engineering is a well-respected company. The asking price of US$200 seems like a lot (I should have bought one at Sun 'n' Fun last year, when they were going for US$170 :ugh: ).

Hope this helps!

MLS