PDA

View Full Version : I'm interseted in helping at any flying clubs near me

chris reynolds
10th Jul 2004, 18:11
hello,
I very much want to be an RAF pilot, and would like to be one as soon as I can. I'm 15 and have started my GCSE's. I haven't got any flying experience (except going up in a vulco 105 helicopter for my work experience at St Mawgan) at the moment which is something I want to change.
I live near Totnes in Devon and would be interested in helping out at any flying or gliding clubs, within about an hours drive from there.
I would wash the planes or anything like that for the occasional flight or brief training session.
Could you please reply if you have anything like that you could kindly offer me.
Thank you.

Squadgy
10th Jul 2004, 18:23
Chris,

Good luck with your ambition - about 12 years ago I was in a similar position to yourself. I joined the Air Cadets, got loads of free flying including a gliding scholarship, got to go abroad and bags of adveturous training.
I got my PPL through helping out at a local flying school and getting paid one lesson per weekend.
I would suggest either way would definately demonstrate to the RAF that you are serious, (I got through OASC so I must have done something right!)
At 15 you may be a bit young to work at an airfield, most companies will need you to be 16, so perhaps Air Cadets would be the way forward at the moment.

drizzle
10th Jul 2004, 19:45

Have a word with Jerry at Flightpass, based northside at Exeter.

flightpass.co.uk

tel 01392 444740

skydriller
10th Jul 2004, 20:04
Cadets near where you live, HERE (http://www.aircadets.org/map_test.htm)

map5623
11th Jul 2004, 11:01
Chris, If you are that keen to join the RAF I support the view suggesting that No1 you join your local Air Cadet Squadron, there is a bit of marching and the rest, but you certainly will have the opportunity to go flying and gliding somewhere if you are interested. You already have a suggestion for Exeter and if I can work out how PM's work I will send you the name and phone number of the Devon PFA strut co-ordinator who may be able to give you more local advise.

Good luck and enjoy yourself
Mike