PDA

View Full Version : Flying Backwards?

Lou Scannon
10th Jul 2004, 17:51
Bit embarrassing this:

Can anyone tell me what is carried out or required on a basic light aircraft competency check?

I have all sorts of licences and type ratings but haven't flown for four years on medical grounds. I'm just getting that sorted and have started flying with a friend in his light single. It would seem prudent if I activated a PPL.

The last light aircraft I flew was a Cessna 206 some thirty years ago. (If you don't count positioning in A320's without passengers or crew-as I always thought that was light enough for me!).

My last comp check on small stuff was a DH82(a) in 1958 so things may have changed a bit.

As there isn't a "Wanabee" forum for ex airline captains who want to fly Cessna's...any help would be appreciated. That way I can appear to be a bit sharp when I turn up at the flying club!

TonyR
10th Jul 2004, 18:17
I don't think you need to worry about it too much. Find an older instructor / examiner and you'll be sorted in no time.

If you've been flying with your friend in a light single again then there should be no surprises, a flight check will be fairly easy for someone with your experience.

Good luck and welcome back.

Tony

Saab Dastard
10th Jul 2004, 22:44
Lou,

I believe that the sky is still full of the Pipers, Cessnas etc. that were state of the art back then!

I'm sure you'll feel right at home in no time.

I would expect that you would need rather more than a check flight, so looking at the requirements for the current PPL skills test would be a good starter. CAA website will have the details.

Circuits of various types, PFLs, stalls, recovery from unusual attitudes (that's the aircraft, not the pilot), nav and diversions, R/T, "airmanship", and egg-sucking!

Enjoy.

SD

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Jul 2004, 23:35
Lou,

Welcome back to the fold.

Take it you have been in touch with the CAA to see what they formally require for you to reactivate your ticket and that you have been in touch with an examiner/school who can do the necessary.

I think the flying has not changed much over the last 100 years and certainly not the last 50, although there are some interesting changes afield of late.

One biggie is that they don't like spinning so don't go and show off.

Have fun and best of luck!

FD

ChrisVJ
11th Jul 2004, 00:42
I know I've said this before but I just have to say it again.

When I phoned Transport Canada to ask about re-activating my pilots licence they said "You need currency" (Not the folding type) " and that's five landings in the last six months." I said that it had been thirty years and was told by the nice lady that there was no reference to actual time out. It actually took ten hours before anyone felt comfortable renting me a plane.

WestWind1950
11th Jul 2004, 04:54
My last comp check on small stuff was a DH82(a) in 1958 so things may have changed a bit.
not in the practical flying sense, for sure.... ;)

Under the German version of the JAR-FCL you would have to do a flight check with an examiner, which could (would!) contain some oral questioning. Sit down with your friend or an instructor and review as much as possible about the present regs, etc.... it wouldn't do any harm to refresh a lot of that. There are no set hours of "training" you may need, which should ONLY be done with an instructor!! He then decides when he thinks your fit enough to face the exam. He will also be able to tell you what to expect.

Good luck!!

Westy

Bird Strike
11th Jul 2004, 05:54
Nothing to do with what is required for the check, however...

Having spoken to (or watched) some "big plane" drivers (and ex-big-plane drivers) flying a light aircraft for the first time after many, many years, what they all said/did was that they flew fine, no problem at all, until the landing, where they flared really high. That seems to be the common theme, so bear that in mind when you attempt your first light aircraft landing in ages.

BEagle
11th Jul 2004, 07:07
Lou,

If (as you state) you have any current UK or JAR-FCL licence, even with a lapsed medical, all you will need to do is:

1. Obtain a (minimum of) a JAA Class 2 medical certificate.
2. Fly whatever you and your FIs think you need to prepare you for a Single Engine Piston (Class) Rating Renewal Skill Test.
3. Fly the test with a UK/FE(PPL) or higher.

The test consists of:
Pre-flight prep.
Take-off, climb to height.
Steep turns
A couple of stalls, one of which must be a clean, fully-developed stall and standard stall recovery with minimum loss of height.
Off-aerodrome PFL
Normal and flapless circuits, including an EFATO and a go-around.
Rejected take-off (e.g. engine failure on last touch-and-go)

Takes just under an hour.

If your Rating has lapsed by more than 5 years, you'll be asked oral questions by the Examiner.

NO WRITTEN EXAMS!!

Lou Scannon
11th Jul 2004, 17:00
Many thanks for the information folks. Sorry to hear that spins are out as they were about the only item I was any good at.

Fortunately, I have kept up to speed on dead stick landings as my ex-first officers will confirm and I was current, at one time, on both Hastings and Chipmunks so I am well practiced at flaring twice in the same landing.

This whole renewal should be fun!:D :D :D

Floppy Link
11th Jul 2004, 21:34
Lou
try no to flare at 50ft!
I did...
It'll soon come back don't worry.
And the best bit is you can do it in your own time, not be forced to do the night CFU!
Russell
AMM GLA

FNG
12th Jul 2004, 07:11
Spinning is not tested, but whilst refeeshing for the test spin if you want to: it's optional.