PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a way to do an FAA PPL/IR in a G-reg (UK)

IO540
10th Jul 2004, 03:41
Is this possible?

I would prefer to get the whole lot done before putting the plane on the N register, because once I go N-reg I lose the privileges of my IMC Rating.

2Donkeys
10th Jul 2004, 06:29
It is possible. I believe CABAIR at Blackbushe may now be able to help.

2D

FNG
10th Jul 2004, 10:03
Please let me know if you find a way, as I'd also like to follow this route, but cannot spare the time to go to the States for the rating.

TonyR
10th Jul 2004, 11:55
Pilot Flight Training at Oxford and Soloflight at Humberside used to do it, but you may have to pay for an FAA examiner to come over.

Tony

IO540
10th Jul 2004, 17:40
One definitely gets an FAA examiner to come over, but nobody I have spoken to think the examiner will do the checkride in a G reg.

This could be because of some regulation, or simply because the FAA man doesn't have any JAA license and thus cannot be PIC in a G-reg.

2Donkeys
10th Jul 2004, 17:50
The latter certainly.

2D

StrateandLevel
10th Jul 2004, 21:12
Try Willowair at Southend, they were doing it last year.

You will not loose your IMC rating privileges on an N Reg aircraft. You may exercise all the privileges of a national licence in the country of issue in an N Reg aircraft.

TonyR
10th Jul 2004, 22:20
You will not loose your IMC rating privileges on an N Reg aircraft. You may exercise all the privileges of a national licence in the country of issue in an N Reg aircraft

Yes he will loose his IMC privileges but not if he had an JAA IR

Tony

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Jul 2004, 23:00
The FAA examiner does not have to be the PIC; they can do the checkride from the back with the instructor and the candidate in the front seats.

As I understand it (but bookworm and 2Ds will know for sure) you can exercise your IMC rating in a G reg aircraft.

There are a number of outfits who can provide FAA IR training in a G reg, ACS at Enstone is one such establishment. It requires the instructor to have both a JAR and FAA (C)FI(I) ticket.

I think that if you have an IMC you can fly with anyone in the RHS be it your next door neighbour or an FAA instructor. However if money is to change hands that will obviously put a completely different slant on the matter.

FAA examiners do come to the UK apart from the establishments mentioned there is Tom Hughston in Norwich who does exclusively FAA training www.flyafts.co.uk

HTH

FD

IO540
11th Jul 2004, 05:54
Thank you all for the replies.

I don't think any FAA examiner will do the checkride in a G-reg, so I think the best way (best in the sense of having some flexibility on timing, without ending up not being able to fly IFR in the UK which is pretty essential for me) is to

Do the FAA PPL in a rented N-reg
Put the plane on the N register
Do the FAA IR in it

Incidentally

"You will not loose your IMC rating privileges on an N Reg aircraft. You may exercise all the privileges of a national licence in the country of issue in an N Reg aircraft"

The above is what the CAA told me, in writing. What they didn't know is that the FAA insists on any N-reg plane flying IFR having a pilot with an IR. So the IMCR does become legally worthless.

StrateandLevel
11th Jul 2004, 08:34
Tony R

What reference states that he cannot exercise his IMC privileges?

FAR 61.3 a enables him to operate an N reg aircraft on a foreign licence. i.e UK PPL with IMC

The priviliges of an IMC rating Schedule 8 are not limited to aeroplanes of any particular State of registration.

So where does the NO come from?

TonyR
11th Jul 2004, 09:46
I could be wrong but my understanding of FAR61.3 e, states that to fly IFR the pilot must have a valid instrument rating so a JAA / CAA IR would be necessary.

I have discussed this in the past with the FAA and that would appear to be their position.

I do take the point that an IMC rating is a national instrument rating and should not be underestimated as something "cheap" as would be the position of some on this forum.

It would suit me fine it I was wrong on this one.

Tony

IO540
11th Jul 2004, 11:30
Does this mean that a UK/JAA ATPL who has an FAA PPL (full or piggyback) but not an FAA IR can fly an N-reg aircraft worldwide IFR?

(assuming his IR is valid for the class, SEP in this case)

TonyR
11th Jul 2004, 11:47
My understanding is that a JAA/CAA IR would only be acceptable in an FAA aircraft within the UK.

To fly IFR world wide you will require a FAA IR.

Tony

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Jul 2004, 14:34
That is a bit of an unclear area.

Dunno if anyone knows the answer to that one for definite. I don't but suspect it may well be one of those cliff hangers over which lawyers could have a ball if it came to the crunch line.

FD

StrateandLevel
11th Jul 2004, 22:59
"Does this mean that a UK/JAA ATPL who has an FAA PPL (full or piggyback) but not an FAA IR can fly an N-reg aircraft worldwide IFR?"

No! You can only fly the N Reg aircraft in the State of Licence Issue on the JAA ATPL. You can exercise any of the privileges of the ATPL in that State. A JAA ATPL is only valid in other States in JAA registered aircraft if the National Authority permit it.

Outside the State of ATPL issue you can only fly to the privileges of the FAA PPL.

2Donkeys
12th Jul 2004, 06:33
The FAA will dispute that when asked, but I think that assessment is correct.

The only issue is when StrateandLevel talks about "any of the privileges". An N-reg aircraft cannot be used for Public Transport or Aeria Work, other than in connection with a US-based air carrier exercising its ICAO rights.

The JAA ATPL can fly an N-reg in the UK only in connection with non-commercial flying.

2D

englishal
12th Jul 2004, 07:23
Its a simple paperwork exercise to add the JAA IR to to the FAA PPL issued on back of ICAO licence. Just take the Instrument Foreign Pilot written exam, and pick up the cetificate at the FSDO.....or a visiting examiner if you can find one......

IO540
12th Jul 2004, 09:26
If you have a JAA ATPL, with an IR valid for the type, what is involved in obtaining an FAA PPL/IR?

2Donkeys
12th Jul 2004, 09:30
A JAA ATPL as held by airline crew often (but does not necessarily) includes only a multi-crew IR and IMC-rating privileges associated with Private flying in GA.

On that basis, I suspect that the FAA would require the usual three hours instruction, flight test and ground exam for an unencumbered IR to be added to the FAA PPL.

On the other hand, they are pragmatic types in this kind of area. You could do worse than to ask and see.

2D

Flyin'Dutch'
12th Jul 2004, 09:31
Either a freestanding or a full FAA PPL (the way to these has been discussed over here a few times so will not go over old grounds)

Then do an FAA Instrument Foreign Pilot written test and present to an FSDO or IFO and get the FAA IR issued. No oral or flight test required.

As you see nearly as easy as getting a JAA IR issued on the back of an FAA IR.

:ok:

FD