PDA

View Full Version : Elvington Fly in

NinjaBill
9th Jul 2004, 22:16
So as to not hi-jack the North Weald Thread, I thought I'd start a new one

Would anyone be interested in a fly in at Elvington airfield, near York?

Suggested dates, to fit in with LnS would be either 28th of August or the 5th of September, as im busy on the 14th, and there is an airshow on the 21st, with very restricted landing slots available.

Elvington has 3018m of tarmac (9895ft for those who work in old money), and free landing fees for those who buy fuel.

It is also home to the Yorkshire Air Museum, which costs the pricely sum of five new english pounds to enter.

So.. any takers?

TonyR
10th Jul 2004, 09:10
Were always going somewhere, Elvington is as good as any.

Tony

knobbygb
10th Jul 2004, 09:19
Too close to home to fly, but I'll probably turn up by car.

FNG
10th Jul 2004, 10:06
I shall try to come, as have still not found out whether aeroplanes can fly north of Leicester. I shall consult the babelfish page on how to speak northern on the radio. Should I bring wampum to pacify the natives?

map5623
10th Jul 2004, 11:02
NinjaBill, had you thought about running a poll of the dates?

Mike

NinjaBill
10th Jul 2004, 11:41
Being an internet incompotent, i cant work out how to do this,

Perhaps BRL can sort this out for me?

are you about BRL

TonyR
10th Jul 2004, 11:59
Did I read somewhere that there is a Yorkshire Air Museum fly-in the week before??

MikeeB
10th Jul 2004, 16:04
I'd probably book an aircraft out, would call in via somewhere else :)

JB007
12th Jul 2004, 11:16
I'd be interested - just re-newed my SE Piston...at Sherburn In Elmet!!!! Not sure the club would be too happy if I borrow an aircraft on a busy Saturday to fly to Elvington!!!!

Will probably drive....

Flyin'Dutch'
12th Jul 2004, 11:26
Get a date, so that we can see what we are working towards

FD

Whirlybird
12th Jul 2004, 12:06
I'd prefer a Sunday...instructing on Saturdays.

MikeeB
12th Jul 2004, 13:45
So long as you do 20minutes in each hour slot, you'll avoid the surcharge, and even then, I've never seen it charged.

Last summer I saw two guys take an PA28 "out for the day" - they flew to Breighton and back, and then got Mike behind the counter to split the cost between them. (20 minutes each)

As for busy Saturday afternoon, everytime I've rung up recently, I've always been able to get an aircraft at short notice.

Make a trip of it to somewhere else and call in on either leg, or both? (or come with me :)

camaro
12th Jul 2004, 13:55
Why don't you all come and visit us at Netherthorpe for the Sheffield Aero Club Fly-In on 31st July?

fonawah
12th Jul 2004, 15:04
I'm only a 5 min drive away so like knobbygb I'll drive over rather than fly.

big.al
12th Jul 2004, 16:09
FNG - aeroplanes do work up here, but beware of airframe icing in "T' frozen North".

The permafrost usually melts on the surface around July (perhaps not this year) but that only tends to leave the runways surfaces boggy on grass strips.....;)

Never been to Elvington but sounds like a good idea to me.... if I can scrape the ice off our 172.

knobbygb
12th Jul 2004, 21:54
Well, if I have some money by then, it would be nice to call in on the way to somewhere else as suggested.

Could visit all the local fields in one day that I haven't been to yet - Elvington, Breighton, Beverley. Oh, and call in and see a few old friends at Full Sutton. Should add up to a couple of hours. Knobby, JB007, Fon and MikeeB in a Cadet - would cost us about 30 quid each for a good day out.

Fon, did you ever make it to Crossland Moor?

MikeeB
13th Jul 2004, 14:55
Four up in a cadet..... brave man.

How about we book both Robin's out?

BTW: I can't do the 5th September

DX Wombat
24th Jul 2004, 16:43
This has the makings of a nice little gathering. So far we seem to have: TonyR, knobbygb, FNG, MikeeB, JB007, Fonawah, big.al. Ninja, Tempsford + 2 family members, VFE & mum, myself and possibly Timmcat and maybe a Timmkitten or two :ok: It will be nice to meet up with people I have already met and meet the ones I haven't. I'll bring some cake or biscuits to have with the coffee.;) Oops, I nearly forgot, Jinkster said he would try to be there too :ok:

MikeeB
25th Jul 2004, 10:04
If we go the Air Museum they do IIRC have a cafe type establishmet available to provide biscuits etc.

I would rather buy from there and do my little bit to suppor them :)

I think we need to set a date ASAP, and let them know we are coming because Elvington is quite often used for trackdays etc. and we may not be able to get in. Guy who sits behind me in the office is doing a Ferrari trackday there one Saturday in August.

Then again, I've seen a JP land there while a trackday was on, they may have just stopped the cars :)

And just to show poor form and follow up on my own post I\'ve just found the following:

Auto66 Club are using Elvington on the 14th, 15th, 29th and 30th August, and the 11th and 12th of September. I don\'t remember them ever using the main runway, so we maybe okay.

UKtrackdays interestingly enough also have Elvington down for in use on the 29th and 30th, which if the case, will probably exclude us from landing.

I can ring them tomorrow if you like and find out what if any weekends in Aug/Sept we can get in, unless somebody else already has?

LowNSlow
25th Jul 2004, 13:05
How about a date poll BR L ??

MikeeB
26th Jul 2004, 12:40
From the horses mouth:

28th and 29th Aug - Possible
4th and 5th Sept. - Possible
11th and 12th Sept. - Closed

We may still get turned away on either of the first two weekends, as the guy on the phone was unsure about which parts of the airfield were in use, although he didn't think it would be the much or if any of the main runway.

I can only do the 28th and 29th anyway.

Regards

-
Mike

DX Wombat
14th Aug 2004, 09:49
I have tried to post this twice now but it seems that the reply page locks up my computer.:( But it didn't this time :ok:

I am assuming that it is still on for 28th (Sat) so what time do we intend to meet? Please bear in mind that this is the Bank Holiday weekend so the later we get there the more likely we are to encounter heavy traffic, also, the museum is likely to be busy.

May I suggest we meet in the cafe for coffee between 1030 and 1100hrs? Anyone with a better suggestion please put it forward. :ok:

knobbygb
15th Aug 2004, 07:44
I too would prefer Saturday 28th out of all the suggested dates. Time to get this finalised? Only two weeks away.

DX Wombat
17th Aug 2004, 09:21
It looks like there might just be a nice little group of five of us: Knobby, Ninja, Tempsford, Son of Tempsford - mark 2 and myself *This should prove to be a very interesting day as both Tempsford and his son are very knowledgeable and if Temps knows only half as much about the aircraft at Elvington as he does about those at Duxford then we are in for a treat.
It will be nice to catch up with Knobby and Temps once more.
* I haven't heard from Timmcat as he isn't around at the moment, so the group may be a little larger.

MikeeB
17th Aug 2004, 19:26
I'll book an aircraft out for a couple of slots, one before lunch and one after (if we can land).

Prefer a Robin as I ain't flow a PA28 for a few months now, anyone want to come along (from Sherburn?)

Northern Highflyer
18th Aug 2004, 10:36
Mike

It might be easier to drive. The booking sheets are looking extremely full. I would love to have gone but am busy that day. :(

MikeeB
18th Aug 2004, 11:13
Is anyone flying in then? (have you checked that you can?)

Whirlybird
18th Aug 2004, 12:12
I'm considering flying in, depending on the wx and whether or not I'm instructing that day. I won't bother checking till I know.

DX Wombat
18th Aug 2004, 12:44
I have just spoken to Chris Hudson at the airfield and it is NOT POSSIBLE to fly in on that Saturday as there is a good deal of activity around the place including something on the runway.:{ :{ :{ However he did say that he would be delighted to have anyone fly in at any other time you just need to ring and check first. The landing fee is £12 and includes free entry to the museum for the pilot :ok: passengers have to pay their own. :ok:
Whirly it would be nice to see you again sometime. Maybe we can arrange for a second visit later in the year on a day when it WILL be possible to fly in.

DX Wombat
21st Aug 2004, 20:56
BTTT Can I assume that this is still on? :confused: If so shall we meet, as mentioned previously, at 1000 to 1030hrs in the cafe for a coffee? :ok:

MikeeB
23rd Aug 2004, 08:28
I'll attend later in the year if we can fly in. Yes it would be easier to drive/walk/ride/crawl/dig a tunnel etc. but it's not the same :)

DX Wombat
26th Aug 2004, 09:41
POSTPONED until a suitable date later in the year when those who wish to do so will be able to fly in. Whirly, I'll try to make it on a Sunday so you can come too. :ok:

LowNSlow
26th Aug 2004, 19:47
How about a weekend between 7th and 25th October? No self interest in this suggestion at all, honest. :suspect: :suspect:

DX Wombat
28th Aug 2004, 16:09
L&S I'm afraid that weekend is not possible for me :{ It has been booked up since the beginning of the year for the JOTA weekend for the Scouts - Jamboree on the Air for those not in the know, an amateur radio event. I do have Sunday 3rd October free at the moment :ok: but then nothing until well after the beginning of December.

Whirlybird
28th Aug 2004, 17:26
DX Wombat,

Thanks for that. :ok:

MikeeB
7th Dec 2004, 07:51
I guess we are into 2005 for this one now?