View Full Version : National PPL

Klute
19th Jul 2001, 00:46
I know that this subject has been aired before but I have received the NPPL consultation document from the CAA. I have reservations about the level of training that NPPL instructors are required to have. The document says

"AOPA has proposed entry requirements and a training syllabus for instructors who only hold a NPPL. This has been provisionally agreed in outline. The question of renumeration for these instructors has not been agreed but AOPA are pressing for this to be permitted strictly within a carefully defined club environment"

Can anyone throw any more light of this proposal. It seems that it will have the effect of taking work away from professional instructors who have worked hard and spend vast amounts of money to get where they are now.

Comments concerning the NPPL must be with the CAA by 31.8.01 and absence of comment = no objection.

BEagle
19th Jul 2001, 02:07
Klute - only basic concepts for NPPL instructors have been considered; there is no definite agreement amongst the NPPLSC yet for their appointment.

That said, the experience level and FIC required for NPPL FIs would probably not be that much less than that for JAR/FCL FIs.

The fact that 'others have paid more to be FIs' is not really a valid argument for refuting the concept of what is really no more than returning to the 'old' PPL/FI of not that log ago! However, your point of view is known to the NPPLSC as it has been expressed by others previously.

dah dah
22nd Jul 2001, 15:01
Hi Klute

Are you able to put forward an arguement as to why an FI needs a JAR CPL? Will it make him a better instructor?

If you are already an instructor yourself, then it is probable that you took the BCPL route. If I have to spend twice as much time and money getting the JAR CPL that you spent getting your BCPL is that fair?

Re. your own remuneration. I assume that a JAR FI who can teach both PPL and NPPL will be in greater demand than an NPPL FI. So it's not even much of a threat to your income!

Klute
22nd Jul 2001, 23:00
BEagle and dah dah
Thanks for your responses. I remember the PPL/FI days of the pre 90's and the instructors were certainly as good as those of today.
Dah Dah, I cannot think of any argument why an instructor should have a CPL. In fact why does any instructor need a CPL unless he/she is teaching at CPL level?
There will obviously be further discussions but I think it is important that young instructors, earning poor money working towards an airline position should not be disadvantaged.

null