View Full Version : IMC the course.

Si
14th Jul 2001, 16:03
Hi,

I am thinking of undergoing my IMC, am i correct in that you learn how to initiate an Instrument Landing or is this part of the IR course.

If not what kind of instrument techniques do you learn for use in the circuit?

Thanks

Vigilant Driver
18th Jul 2001, 18:31
You don't actually land on instruments even on the IR. Full instrument landings are for when you get onto much bigger aircraft.

The instrument approaches you will fly will depend on where you train. At a big airfield you will have precision (instrument landing system) and non precision (eg. Locating beacon) approaches. Smaller airfields may just have non precision approaches.

The circuits you will fly will be very different from your usual ones and may involve following ATC instructions or flying a procedure to track back to a beacon.

Have fun. It is a good course and well worth the money.

Vigi

Evo7
19th Jul 2001, 12:02
What's involved in keeping an IMC rating once you have it?

Receding_Airline
19th Jul 2001, 12:12
Legally, the IMC CoT is valid for 25 months from date of passing the flight test and is revalidated by (successful) flight test.

Other than that currency is vital.

Evo7
21st Jul 2001, 13:02
What does that mean in practice?

My interest in doing an IMC is purely for insurance in the event that things start going wrong. I'm not so worried about legal currency, because I can't imagine a situation in which I'd head up to fly if the weather was bad. I just figure that an IMC is worthwhile if it gives me a better chance of getting back down again.

On the other hand, I don't want to be overconfident and think that I have skills that in reality I've forgotten through lack of practice. I'm never going to do lots of hours each year, so I'm not going to want to spend a lot of time and money keeping a rating that I don't plan on using. Is an IMC still worth it, or would it end up proving that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing?? I'd guess that a (underused/lapsed) IMC is better than no IMC at all, but...?

Cheers.

Si
21st Jul 2001, 14:44
When i get my JAA IMC rating is it valid in the US if i go and do hour building?

I heard somewhere that it is not recognised in the US, does this mean i won't be able to fly in cloudy conditions?

Thanks again.

Pilch
21st Jul 2001, 15:19
Si,

If you dig out the AIP and look you'll find references to the fact that the IMC rating is a CAA rating that is a recognised difference with the ICAO ratings system.

Not sure if this means that it is not recognised in the US, but the AIP does explvity state that the IMC is NOT qualify the holder for IR stuff.

Hope this helps.

Pilch.

Pilch
21st Jul 2001, 15:38
Si,

AIP GEN 2.1.7 says

"An IMC which is purely a national rating, is also issued for use within UK airspace to allow private flights to fly IFR outside of contralled airspace and in class D, E anf F controlled airspace, It has no equivalent under JAR-FCL or ICAO and is not a full instrument rtating".

HTH,

Pilch.

Si
21st Jul 2001, 15:52
Pilch,

Thanks for responding, I know that in the US under the FAA they do not have an IMC rating, but i'm still unsure on what the AIP suggests, could you explain what it means in english, sorry but its not a very clear subject.

Thanks again

Megaton
22nd Jul 2001, 07:56
Si,

Even with an IMC rating, in the US you will be limited to day VFR (unless you have a night rating). IMC rating is good for UK airspace only. Conversely, if you hold a US IR, the CAA will credit you with an IMC rating: good deal (not).

Dan Winterland
24th Jul 2001, 00:58
Si - not a JAA rating, UK only and useful only in UK FIRs.

Evo - once you have it, you will want to use it. It's not designed to fly you from major airport to major airport under IFR. What it allows you is a bit more scope. Having it as an insurance policy is useless if you don't practice. Having to fly an instrument approach for real down to minima 24 months since the last one is going to end in tears.

New Bloke
24th Jul 2001, 11:59
Si

Think of it as a way to avoid scud running. Instead of polling along at 1153'amsl in marginal vis, you pop up through the cloud and fly ABOVE the cloud layer. When you get to your destination you either pop back down through a hole or do an instument approach to the field.

Si
24th Jul 2001, 13:19
Thanks for the info guys, its much cleare now, i can't wait to get up through the cloud on a crap day, breaking out above the layer into blue sky.....what could be better!

Thanks again,

P.S Having just read information on different types of airspace in Florida, in class C D E and G airspace you are actually allowed to fly above the cloud by 1000 feet.

Code Blue
25th Jul 2001, 02:12
Having just read information on different types of airspace in Florida, in class C D E and G airspace you are actually allowed to fly above the cloud by 1000 feet

If I'm not much mistaken (it happens occasionally :rolleyes: ) the departure and destination airfields have to be VFR and with FEW or SCT clouds. If you want to fly through clouds you will need a full Instrument rating.

VFR OTT is a separate rating in Canada but with the same criteria.
rgds

CB