PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Partners & Flying Friends

TonyR
7th Jul 2004, 21:52
As a follow on link from the keeping current thread:-

There are too many pilots giving up because they are not getting support from the rest of us.

I think it is time to encourage each other to keep flying. There are enough pilots on this fourm to make a differance.

I am not sure of the best course of action but, lets make a start, so if you live near me and want to get back in the air again, PM me and come flying. If you can't pay you can wash the aircraft.

See here (http://www.pilotpartner.com/) from Canada provided by MLS-12D

Tony

locksmith
7th Jul 2004, 21:59
Good idea Tony.

I still want a flight in your TB20, so I'll bring the bucket and sponge.

TonyR
7th Jul 2004, 22:08
Sorry Ken but I said "can't pay" not won't pay. Pilots with your sort of money should be offering.

You can fly with me anytime, just shout.

Tony

Lowtimer
8th Jul 2004, 22:54
I do this! The only frustration is that sometimes when you make arrangements to fly, the weather or unserviceability stops you. There are three people I take flying regularly who can't really afford to fly on their own for various reasons, and I remember when I younger I couldn't afford to fly either, except occasionally with the air cadets or a bit of gliding once a year. I fly people whenever I can, providingthey are prepared to pull their weight to the extent of their abilities. At one end that might just be looking for traffic and helping wipe off the oil afterwards. At the other end it might be a great deal more participation in the flight. I'm not an instructor so I have to set limits. But I don't like to fly a two-seater with an empty seat if I can help it.

At least one of those people I am certain is going to be a GREAT asset to aviation in this country, and we will all benefit from having that kind of person as fully involved in aviation as possible in years to come.

Scuzi
8th Jul 2004, 23:46
I might just take you up on your offer sir. Is the TB20 at Aldergrove, G-AK yours? If so I wouldn't mind a wee spin in it if it's no bother. I'll be up at Aldergrove on Saturday as I have to convert onto the PA28 140 Woodgate have now. If Saturday is a bad day I'm free all next week.
I'll contribute towards the costs as best I can.

I think this is a great idea. I havent flown for about 6 weeks now due to work commitments but theres also the factor of not having anyone to go with. I enjoy flying much more if I have someone with me, especially a more experienced pilot.

Pilot16
9th Jul 2004, 01:48
i need encouragement from my fellow pilots to kick CAA's butt
because they wont give me the class 1 :E !!!!!

AerBabe
9th Jul 2004, 06:39
I have been on both sides of this. Admittedly, mostly on the receiving end. I think a lot is learned from both parties - by having a probably less experienced pilot ask you questions you question yourself and your actions. By being flown by people with a lot more experience, you learn that nothing terrible will happen if you push the envelope a little bit more. Unlike instruction, you are benefitting from the realities of a flight, rather than an exercise. Roll on the day when I can give again! :ok:

Andy_R
9th Jul 2004, 18:28
And if you can't get a fellow pilot/student to come up with you, expose a friend or a colleague or a neighbour to experience the joy of flight.

At the very least you may discourage the NIMBY attitude that is so prevalent in our society, at the best it may mean another potential pilot in the future.

Then again you could scare the hell out of them, but that's the risk you take :D

MLS-12D
9th Jul 2004, 19:15
The only frustration is that sometimes when you make arrangements to fly, the weather or unserviceability stops you.Story of my life! :p

map5623
9th Jul 2004, 19:52
TonyR said "I am not sure of the best course of action ....." the flyouts organised by this and the other site are surely one way to encourage participation?

Mike

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Jul 2004, 19:54
At the very least you may discourage the NIMBY attitude that is so prevalent in our society A nimby wrote to the local paper about how dangerous it was that little aeroplanes were allowed to fly at roof-top height over his house. I wrote back explaining how this isn't, of course, allowed, and how it wouldn't be particularly dangerous if it was, and offering him a ride. Surprise surprise I've not heard from him.

However, since the recent ward boundary changes he's now one of my constituents, so I'm bound to be knocking on his door sooner or later :) - it is of course illegal to take one of my own constituents for a ride during an election, but it would be OK now.

Scion
10th Jul 2004, 12:02
Scuzi and TonyR

I am ex N.Ireland living in Sydney and flying down here, or up here if inverted. And I agree full heartedly with your generous offers. We have a couple of vintage aeroplanes here beside a flying school and we show the folk around and chat to them after their trial instructional flight. However we are plagued with insurance problems and though we might like to offer a flight our 3rd party only insurance will not cover if there is a pernicious attitude after an incident.

Anyway how is life flying in N.Ireland. Years ago I took a couple of flights at Ards with Tubby Dash, Anyone remember him? I stopped after running out of funds but later in life took it up again and as such the aviation virus has got a strong hold.

Roy

TonyR
10th Jul 2004, 12:13
Hi Scion

I had a couple of flights with Tubby in the 1970s.

I will be comming down under next year God willing and would love to do some flying.

Tony

Scion
10th Jul 2004, 12:17
Yep, about 1974 approx,

When you come down you will be more than welcome, and as you say, God willing, our aeroplanes will be servicable. I will send a private message with contact details.

Roy.

TonyR
17th Jul 2004, 22:20
I took someone flying today who had lost his medical over 10 years ago. I only met this man a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned he "had been a pilot" I told him that in my opnion he still was a pilot and offered him a flight. he had flown for 22 years and had 1200 hours and an IR

He told me that he sold his aircraft and stayed around the flying club for a few months after his problem but was only offered a couple of flights with others and he just lost interest. This made me both sad and mad, at such experience being wasted.

There must be lots of experienced pilots out there with a medical problem who would still love to fly. Just think of the benefit a lot of low time PPLs could reap with someone like my new found friend sitting with them. The NPL might be possible for him but I and a few of my friends will keep him in the air anyway.

Lets get out there and share what we have.

Tony

Charlie Zulu
18th Jul 2004, 00:06
This is a great idea.

If anyone from around the South Wales area would like to get back into the air then let do let me know!

When flying with empty seats I usually feel guilty as there are always plenty of people who would love to fly but can't for one reason or another.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Timothy
18th Jul 2004, 07:44
I am also happy to offer the inverse for those pilots who are finding post-PPL flyingf a bit restrictive because they can't jump through the next hurdle (whether long distance nav, weather, flying through controlled airspace, going foreign, whatever.)

I am an ATPL/IR who flies an Aztec out of Biggin, and very happy to accompany low-timers out of Biggin, Redhill, WW, Popham, Blackbushe, Fairoaks etc to try and give them that leg-up to spread their wings.

TonyR
18th Jul 2004, 07:58
Sometimes one must ask "what do I get out of my flying".

I took this 84 year old pilot flying last year, he had not been in an aircraft for over 25 years. Just to see the pleasue it gave him brought tears to my eyes.

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v56/TonyR/vic1.jpg
Thanks to CSE for the loan of the 182, I don't think we would have got him into the TB20

Tony

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Jul 2004, 08:30
My CV is a lot less impressive than Timothy's but happy to RHS or take people up.

On one of the other BBs is a section dedicated to studes and one to fly ins.

For a flavour or to join next Saturday's trip (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6463) have a look.

FD