PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Oban(North Connel)....

duir
7th Jul 2004, 20:18
I am planning to fly from Teeside to Oban at the weekend weather permitting with a fellow PPL. Is it best to avoid the Prestwick contol zone altogether or should I just request a transit through the overhead??? Plus any suggestions for Sunday lunch at Oban are greatly recieved!!

2Donkeys
7th Jul 2004, 20:23
Prestwick have always been fine in my experience. Don't bust a gut to avoid them for the sake of it.

Oban.... you couldn't choose a nicer place to go to if you tried. Paul Keegan, the airport manager is one of the best.

Loads of decent places to go to nearby ranging from the pub at the foot of the Bridge over the Falls of Lora through to various places in town.

If you decide to stretch a point and stay overnight, I would heartily recommend the Lerags House Hotel. You'll find the details through Google.

PM me if you want more details. I have no commercial connection to any of the above, but I am a huge fan of Oban (if you didn't guess)

2D

jonathang
7th Jul 2004, 20:46
Is it best to avoid the Prestwick control zone altogether

I agree with 2Donkeys,

Prestwick are quite used to Light aircraft there is a large number of GA based aircraft.

They are very helpful and will definately subject to Commercial traffic give you what you ask for.

Also heads up on the runway direction at Oban it has changed recently to 01/19 this has not been shown on all the guides yet.

Jonathan

witchdoctor
8th Jul 2004, 17:35
Just for info mate, Paul Keegan has also recently registered as a ppruner. Helpfully he uses no 'secret identity'. Drop him a PM and I'm sure he would be only too happy to offer his thoughts and advice.

Hope you enjoy the trip. It's a fabulous part of the world and Paul and his team are a great bunch of guys. On the accomodation front, if you do decide to stay also worth looking out for Ards House. It's just over the bridge at Connel and a short swim from the 19 windsock.

flying snapper
9th Jul 2004, 11:27
I am also planning a trip up to Oban over the next week or two. I believe that there is a great deal of microlight/ non radio traffic up there with differing circuit patterns and am a bit cautious as a result. Any tips on approach? overhead join OK? Local restrictions etc?

2Donkeys
9th Jul 2004, 11:58
Doesn't sound like the Oban I know and love.

They do get Microlights flying in there, but in the many times I've visited, I don't recall them flying a different circuit.

Given the terrain and weather, the usual approach is to fly the downwind over the water to the west of the runway. Paul and Brian man the radio and will advise you of other traffic around the place. There are sufficiently few visitors that you will be unlucky to find anybody else sharing the circuit with you.

Under the circumstances, an overhead join is just that, unnecessary overhead.

2D

stuartforrest
9th Jul 2004, 12:33
I recently diverted to Prestwick on my way to Inverness and they couldnt have been more helpful. Cost was quite a bit higher than where I normally go but they did look after my plane for three days and sort a hire car. Fuel was ridiculously priced!

I wouldnt worry about them accomodating GA traffic as there was loads around there.

I also spoke to Oban who were very helpful but I never got there. I am going to go there some time soon to meet my friend with his boat which lives somewhere near there.

Ringway Flyer
10th Jul 2004, 06:52
Been there a couple of times. Fully endorse all previous comments. Best GA field in the country!! Re Prestwick, we usually route between Glasgow and Pk zones - but talk to Pk or they get upset...
Regards to Paul & Brian - keep up the good work!

JagerX
10th Jul 2004, 13:04
I think Prestwick is up to you. The Oban field is quite good, very friendly! Alot of French aircraft were there when i visited, also some nice old planes like a Husky amphibian and a Piper cub (At least i think it was), circuits are always over the bay and watch out for the big hill! There is a nice resturaunt practically at the end of the runway with a good view of the river mouth, the airfield staff will help you get there. Be carefull though, we ended up ducking under a Cirrus that was taking off (that was scary!), very nice place well worth the visit.

PhilD
12th Jul 2004, 10:18
I went to Oban for the first time on Saturday with Mrs PhilD (from Blackbushe) and can certainly endorse the above comments. First of all Prestwick were very helpful - I got an IFR transit as I was in IMC through most of their zone.

We were made to feel really welcome at Oban with coffee and biscuits. Brian was doing the airfield duty as Paul was out watching the procession at Silverstone. It's a really pretty location, especially for us southerners used to the flatlands down here, where 400ft hills constitute a major obstacle.

Based on the recommendation from 2D we had booked the Lerags House hotel. This was a great decision as we had a real 'home from home' welcome from Charlie and Bella (and Fingal), and great food. It's a bit of a cab ride from EGEO (30mins/£20), but well worth the trip.

Finally we had a very useful 30kt+ tailwind on the way back, with over 170kts groundspeed much of the way.

All in all a great weekend. We hope to be back at the airfield and hotel soon.

jerseymilkman
12th Jul 2004, 10:26
Once went into Oban in a Citation V Ultra - seemed a bit short to me..........!

TonyR
12th Jul 2004, 10:41
Just for anyone going via Prestwick, go to the Flight Centre (01292 476523) SE Landing will cost you about £12 compared to over £40 at the main ramp.

Oban is not often really busy, and the weather is often much better that one would expect, a great airfield to visit.

Tony

2Donkeys
12th Jul 2004, 10:44
Based on the recommendation from 2D we had booked the Lerags House hotel. This was a great decision as we had a real 'home from home' welcome from Charlie and Bella (and Fingal), and great food.

I am really glad that worked out. They are nice people and whilst I have seen them packed during "the season", I suspect that they are not so full many nights in the year. Definitely an institution worthy of our support.

2D

Bluebeard777
12th Jul 2004, 17:08
Have some chowder at the Lochell Arms, 200 yds from the runway. Excellent.

Also, if landing towards the south, land long if you can as it seems the resurfacing money ran out 2/3rds of the way to the north end!

This is a rare 10/10 airfield, credit to Paul Keegan.

Must go back sometime.

englishal
12th Jul 2004, 19:22
with coffee and biscuits
We got beer when we went ;) Bloody excellent place Oban, fantastic people. Don't forget to visit the Shananigans (Irish) Tex Mex (in Scotland work that one out :} ) good food.....

I stayed at the Corriemar on the sea front, cost about £28 per room, en-suite and all the luxuries the Mrs likes......

EA