PDA

View Full Version : 2 Lives saved today

ANDY CUBIN
7th Jul 2004, 10:51
I was conducting a flying test with a student in a Bulldog this morning.

As we taxiied to the hold a microlight pilot radioed in the we had an attachment on the nose wheel.

We shut down, I climbed out and, to my horror, discovered the towing arm still attached.

Had we got airborne this would have resulted in a certain engine failure and, at best, a succesful forced landing. I shudder to think about the worst outcome.

I have thanked the pilot personally and thought it of possible benefit to readers of this forum.

Aviation at it's worst and best. Sobering for me but a huge thank you to a fine aviator who undoubtedly saved the day.

Andy Cubin

Mike Cross
7th Jul 2004, 11:06
As it happens..........

In 1974 I did my solo cross-country at Shoreham in a Beagle Pup 150 (precursor of the Bulldog).

As is always the case the aircraft was late back from the previous sortie, which was dual instruction.

Instructor climbed out, said "Off you go, no need to pre-flight, the check A's already been done."

So in I climbed and flew to Sarfend. Shut down and noticed a shiny mark on the prop. Inspection showed a thumbnail sized ding in the leading edge so I found an engineer who dressed it out and pronounced it safe. Continued to Lydd and then to Shoreham.

While in the circuit to land someone else called to say they had found some debris on the taxiway. You can gues what it was:ugh:

MichaelJP59
7th Jul 2004, 11:14
I'm not sure of the configuration of a Bulldog - why would the towing arm lead to certain engine failure?

- Michael

SATCO Biggin
7th Jul 2004, 11:50
From where I sit looking out of the window on a daily basis it is a remarkably common occurence, and appears not to be limited to low hour pilots either.

Leaving the tow bar attached is probably number three in our local league of clangers. Number two is trying to taxy with the machine still tied down to the floor (either on one side or both). Number one is to actually achieve taxying speed with concrete blocks still tied on the wing or tail. This must happen at least three time per year around here.

As yet I haven't joined this league. My best to date was to start up an M-14P radial with exhaust pipe caps still attached (these home made large egg cup shape caps are a push fit to collect any oil that leaks whilst parked). Luckily they shot off the ends of the pipes and bounced harmlessly out of the way.

But if Mr Cubin can fall foul of the tow bar clanger then I cant see why I shouldn't.

(I have got into the habit now of getting down on my knees and looking for 'all clear' underneath as the last thing I do before climbing in. Get some strange looks sometimes from other people who seem to think I am praying to my favourite God)

smarthawke
7th Jul 2004, 12:59
Well done to the microlight pilot - and but for the grace of God goes us all.

I was taught that if a tow bar was attached to the aircraft then your hand was attached to the tow bar and always stick to that one.

A similar thing for canopies - if a canopy is open then you're hand is holding it open.

G-KEST
7th Jul 2004, 16:16
It is great to read such an honest account and thanks expressed for the timely warning call. Especially so when it comes from a highly experienced pilot whose record stands alongside the very best both in and out of the military.
Truly, confession is good for the soul and we can all learn from errors made by others. Thanks Andy especially as it did trigger a pang of personal guilt concerning episodes in my own past of which I certainly am not proud; however I did shun the cold glare of publicity at the time. Now I am much more philosophical on my failings over the years.
In aviation you need two things - money and luck - never had too much of the former but had the latter in spades.
Felicitations,
Trapper 69
:ok:

Ex Oggie
7th Jul 2004, 20:07
It's another of those "there but for the Grace of God" scenarios. I have personally been caught out with the footstep still being attached on a Yak 52, and have lost count of the amount of times I have seen Sheds land with the pogo stick still in place.

ExO

Fujiflyer
7th Jul 2004, 20:51
Well done to Andy C for having the courage to share this "experience" with us :ok:

Fuji