PDA

View Full Version : PPL Exeter - Which School?

hot prop
6th Jul 2004, 23:52
Hi,

I'm after some advice! I've noticed there are round about 3 flight schools at Exeter and I want to start training for a PPL. I'd like to make a good choice and want to ask everyone's experience and recommendations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Sliding member
7th Jul 2004, 01:24
Hello, have you also considered DSF at Dunkeswell, you won't get messed around as much by the commercial traffic. I've flown with what was Celtic West which I believe Flight Pass was formed by thier instructors. They were quite proffesional but I felt they maybe went over the top for the average PPl who wanted to fly for fun. The other two I can't comment on.

bcfc
7th Jul 2004, 08:04
Well, I can't fault Flightpass in anyway. I've done my PPL (when Celtic West), IMC & Aeros with them and think they have the right balance between professionalism and fun. Its more of a training school than a club like the Exeter Flying Club but I prefer that they're northside - it just makes life easier. The fact you're mixing it with the commercial stuff and ATC is also a plus point - its rarely that busy. They have a good range of aircraft (2 Warriors, a twin and two very nice T67s).

I met with the new South West Aviation chaps at the Fly! show and they seemed very pleasant. They've taken over the old Celtic building on the South Side but I've not heard much about them.

I've never flown with the Flying Club so won't express an opinion, but the other members in my syndicate have all left over the past couple of years.

IMHO, Devon is one of the nicest areas to fly - particularly yesterday evening when I basically had South Devon to myself :cool:

Charlie Fox
7th Jul 2004, 10:32
The people at Aviation Southwest (http://www.egte.com/) are very friendly. Give them a call.

hot prop
7th Jul 2004, 19:37
Excellent, thanks.

A trail lesson wll be booked with Air Southwest/ Southwest Aviation.

Unfortunately Dunkerswell is too far out for me since I'll be coming from Mid Devon.

Thanks again.

robin
7th Jul 2004, 22:04
I would have thought Dunkeswell was OK for a Mid Devonian

hot prop
9th Jul 2004, 00:14
Thanks for your help Robin but you will find some parts of Mid Devon border North Devon and to get to Dunkerswell would involve a long cross Exeter transit or long back-road journey. An hour and a half or therabouts.

robin
9th Jul 2004, 09:17
well how about Eaglescott then?