PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen GPS Charts -- Poor Show

QDMQDMQDM
5th Jul 2004, 19:44
I had my first experience of using these last week in Holland and North Germany and found them poor. Not enough topo detail and much of it either wrong or wrongly represented.

Just had to get that off my chest.

QDM

Fly Stimulator
5th Jul 2004, 19:56
Good thing you didn't try last year's ones. They were much worse, certainly for topo detail and general colouring.

IO540
5th Jul 2004, 21:15
QDM

I don't think the Jepp charts are anything like as good as the CAA ones, but do you mean airspace errors?

Also what is the alternative, for the locations you mention?

reynoldsno1
5th Jul 2004, 21:18
Jeppesen only reformat charts, they don't design the procedures. Generally speaking, if there are errors, they will be reproduced from the source data.
I have no connection with the company.....

QDMQDMQDM
5th Jul 2004, 21:39
I'm talking about the topographical detail, rather than airspace. I can't tell if airspace is accurate or not, but I can tell when a minor road bridge is actually a motorway bridge and when a tiny stream is actually a mega waterway.

Also, they aren't detailed enough. They don't show enough towns etc.

QDM

Aim Far
6th Jul 2004, 09:12
I have to agree the Jepp charts are not as good as UK CAA charts for pure VFR (compass and clock and visual fix) flying. But IMHO they are better than the UK CAA charts for VFR with a GPS because there is enough topo information to enable a visual checking fix while still being clear enough to spot the airspace boundaries and cross check with the GPS. Except for Belgium which is a mess.

Which I expect is why they are called VFR/GPS charts.

rogerbrady
14th Jul 2004, 15:00
I'm interested to know if these new charts have sensible scales rather than the Jepp 1"= x miles. Also if any of you use bradyrules on them at the planning stage? Feedback appreciated.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jul 2004, 15:17
I confess that I quite like them, and use the Jeppessen 1:500,000 charts out of preference for long distance flying - the airspace and airfield data I find much more user-friendly (plus they are from much thinner untreated paper, so fit into my kneeboard better and I can draw on them in pencil).

But yes, the topographic data is undoubtedly their weakest point. But having used them for about a year now and got used to the style, I find it good enough for accurate VFR navigation.

I did once make a complete fool of myself by not noticing the subtle difference between a VOR and a TACAN on the Jeppesen chart - you do need to take time to learn a new tool!

G

bar shaker
14th Jul 2004, 19:39
QDM3

I thought Holland was flat ;)

TonyR
14th Jul 2004, 20:08
Don't knock them, there are places (like Portugal) where you will get little choice other than Jepps.

I think the company deserve more credit than some here would give.

Tony

holyflyer
15th Jul 2004, 11:04
Just used Jepp charfts for trip all over Ireland and found them very good.

Mind you last years South-East England/North East France chart was a laugh. From memorty I think Slough had become Southend; Maidenhead was Weston-Super-Mare etc etc.

Must have made for some wonderful radio calls to Heathrow from foreign visitors.

PhilD
15th Jul 2004, 12:22
I like them. For serious cross-country VFR flying in Europe it's great to have a common format, and I find that they have all of the relevant FIS and ATC frequencies right there. They have enough topographic data to verify position, but not too much to clutter the airspace data, which I am much more interested in as you can always verify position using radio aids anyway. Also I agree with Genghis that the format is handy for the kneepad.

holyflyer
19th Jul 2004, 13:04
Over the weekend I was looking at the Jeppeson chart covering Northern Ireland. There between Omagh and Strabane was WHITLEY BAY - couple of hundred miles west me thinks.

I can spot these errors over England and Ireland - my worry is when flying over the continent and reporting over head such and such place - do I just wait for the sniggering from ATC?

S-Works
19th Jul 2004, 13:13
I like the Jepp charts but this latest batch have been appaling the errors are numerous and quite blaring for those in the know.

Holyflyer, you are bang right, just imagine being say french with no UK/Eire knowledge and reporting your position over whitley bay when in Ireland!!

They really should do a reprint.

I defence I do generally find that Jepp products are very high quality. I use an array of them including approach plates, databases for the 296 and our GNS430's.

TonyR
19th Jul 2004, 17:59
WHITLEY BAY - couple of hundred miles west me thinks.

Try turning the map up the other way, East (possibly)

holyflyer
20th Jul 2004, 09:36
Couple of hundred miles west of its true geographical location - me thinks

TonyR
20th Jul 2004, 15:58
Its that east - west thing, depends where you are at the time