PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough LARS Visit, Mid-August......

BRL
5th Jul 2004, 19:08
Hi all. Another visit to Farnborough Lars is being arranged right now. Have not got the exact date sorted yet but expect it to be around mid-August sometime.

Feedback from the past few tower visits indicated that the LARS visit was the most beneficial to ppl's. This is no-way undermining the visits to Heathrow/Gatwick/Luton/West Drayton etc as they were superb in thier own right but as I say, feedback was good from the LARS visits.

Our good friend of the forum, AlanM recently wrote a Powerpoint presentation about SVFR and helicopters and presented it to RAF Odiham's flight safety day which went down well. He is hoping to write a similar presentation for VFR if interest levels are there so let him know what you think here please.

So, names below, you know the drill...... :)

Phoenix09
5th Jul 2004, 19:15
I would be very interested in the visit BRL. Unfortunately I am away until the 16th August but if it is after that I would very much like to go.

I spend enough time talking to them it would be nice to visit. :)

Andy_R
5th Jul 2004, 20:08
Put me down for this one too please BRL

High Wing Drifter
5th Jul 2004, 21:02
I'm up for that too BRL :ok:

map5623
5th Jul 2004, 21:03
Can you put me down as well please,

thanks
Mike

Wycombe
5th Jul 2004, 21:34
Hi All,

Just posting to say I paid them a visit last year (with a few other Wycombe pilots) and had a thoroughly interesting and hospitable afternoon. If you fly in the area, or want to see the work of a LARS unit (in their case co-ordinating lots of IFR traffic in an area of busy Class G) at first hand, I'd recommend it.

You might meet AlanM's better half aswell.

singaporegirl
5th Jul 2004, 22:18
Please stick my name in the hat as well, BRL. Thanks!

Tall_guy_in_a_152
5th Jul 2004, 22:21
Yes please, but since I 'did' West Drayton earlier in the New Year, you had better put me near the bottom of the list if this gets over-subscribed.

TallGuy.

Marian
6th Jul 2004, 00:37
Can I come too please?

AlanM
6th Jul 2004, 07:09
Easy Wycombe.

I've got your number!

down&out
6th Jul 2004, 08:53
I'd love to go - they are in my area and I've use them when I go past, so it would be great to see things from their side.

D&O

[Edited to add:]
I'd also be interested in seeing the presentations on SVFR and VFR.

MikeJ
6th Jul 2004, 10:37
Yes, please count me in for Farnborough LARS visit.
I speak with them >100 times a year, and would love to know what its like at their end!

Mike

Johnm
6th Jul 2004, 10:51
Eh Moi,

I heard them and Odiham present at Waltham, excellent, but I've never been inside a LARS or any other ATC unit, so I'd be very grateful for the opportunity.

Babel Fish
6th Jul 2004, 14:32
Would be very interested in this

*raises hand*

N Reg Aztec
6th Jul 2004, 14:42
Please add me to the list if there's any space left... :ok:

Papa Charlie
6th Jul 2004, 15:43
Yes please, if there is room for me.

Thanks.

alphaalpha
7th Jul 2004, 09:06
Add me please
AA.

Juliet Papa
7th Jul 2004, 10:03
Me too please BRL, if there's still room...

JP

Rhys S. Negative
7th Jul 2004, 11:27
May I come too, please?

RSN (fly from EGLK).

Red Chilli
7th Jul 2004, 19:55
yes please, very interested :D

lamma
9th Jul 2004, 18:54
Would also be intersted in the Farnborough LARS visit in August. Have spoken to them many times and would be good to see them in action.
Lams

jayemm
10th Jul 2004, 11:52
Please count me in

Malc
11th Jul 2004, 13:07
me too please, if it's before 16th August.
cheers
Malc

Timothy
11th Jul 2004, 20:41
...and there was me thinking "me too" posts are discouraged!

Me too!

Timothy

trevelyan
11th Jul 2004, 21:11
Yes please BRL, used them alot and would love to see where it all happens.

Would appreciate the opportunity, whatever the date - ill make it.

Cheers

Trevelyan:ok:

ex speedbird252 - but i got deleted...

BRL
20th Jul 2004, 08:31
We now have a date for this event and it will be Sat 21st August at 1400. Even better news is we can have up to 20 people attending at one time. Sunday 22 is also on, but only if there are more than 10 people want to go as the kind people who will be showing us around, are doing this in thier own time, so we have to make it worthwhile for them.

If you can't make this one then another will be arranged for sometime in September.

Keep an eye on your PM's those who have registered interest as I will be requiring some details soon for ID/security etc. :)

Timothy
20th Jul 2004, 08:47
Regretfully I shall be in the US of A that weekend.

What a shame! Particularly as I was going to offer to take the Farnborough ATCOs on a flight around their area!

They are still welcome, mind you. I think AlanM might be also offering my services.

RichyRich
20th Jul 2004, 09:26
Hi BRL

Am I too late to put my name down? Either day! I didn't 'volunteer' earlier in case it clashed with other events a little earlier in the month.

RR

BRL
20th Jul 2004, 09:38
Not too late at all Rich..... Looks like most who have posted here will be going.. :)

positionand hold
20th Jul 2004, 09:53
Yes please, if not too late - 21st or 22nd August is fine for me.

map5623
20th Jul 2004, 21:37
BRL, is it possible to fly in

Mike

BRL
20th Jul 2004, 21:44
Not sure to be honest Mike. I will ask and let you know as soon as I find out. :)

AlanM
21st Jul 2004, 06:54
Sorry guys

Flyin not available!

(Unnless you book a slot with TAG Aviation and pay the full whack!!!)

RichyRich
21st Jul 2004, 08:27
Flyin not available!

You can however probably fly in to Blackbushe and grab a taxi from there.

Red Chilli
2nd Aug 2004, 23:28
...just noticed the August date, 'fraid I'll be in Scotland en famille that weekend - any chance of the September date being as late as possible if one is organised? :D

BRL
3rd Aug 2004, 14:57
Hi Red. I will ask if one can be sorted out for the end of September and will let you know.

IO91
5th Aug 2004, 08:23
Me too!

IO91

Flyboy-F33
5th Aug 2004, 08:35
How do I put my name down for this? Hope I'm not too late.

GG

BRL
5th Aug 2004, 08:50
.......... you just have. I am going to get in touch with you all later today or tomorrow regarding the visit. I will be back from work later and will start going through the list. Keep an eye on your pm all who have names down. :)

BRL
5th Aug 2004, 19:19
Could the following people e-mail me please.
I need to know your pprune name, full name, address, DOB, Nationality, Passport number. Mobile number is optional, just to make life easier on the day if someone gets held up or cannot make it.

alphaalpha

If you are not on the list then another visit will be arranged for the end of September.
The standby list is;
Timothy
Richy Rich,
Malc
Red Chilli.

[email protected]

BRL
10th Aug 2004, 22:10
I have directions to Ively Gate, the meeting point if anyone needs them. I Don't have any directions from the train station if anyone is coming by train, no idea how to get there other than in a car. Anyone know if it is far from the station?

Also, if there is a pub nearby, anyone up for a pint/something to eat afterwards...? :)

MikeJ
11th Aug 2004, 13:59
BRL
Please send the direction for the gate, I've only ever been there by air. You have my e-mail.
If anybody nominates a place for pint/bite, I'll be there.
Mike

Andy_R
11th Aug 2004, 14:20
Ditto re the directions please BRL.

And as you know have to shoot back to work so loose out on the grub and beer :(

Papa Charlie
11th Aug 2004, 18:22
Ditto again please BRL re directions.
Did someone say "pint" ? ! :D

BRL
11th Aug 2004, 21:37
Directions...............

Leave the M3 at Junction 4A.

From the Southampton direction turn left to go back over the motorway then at the round-about go straight across towards Farnborough.
From the London direction turn right at the round-about towards Farnborough.

At the next roundabout turn left, you should have started picking up signs for the airport by now.

At the next roundabout take a left then you'll get to a mini roundabout with the Nokia buildings to your left, go straight across. At a further small roundabout go straight across. Finally you'll get to a roundabout with an aircraft in the middle. Go straight across and turn left at a mini roundabout and you'll be at Ively gate.

Security at Ively gate will have your details and issue you with a pass.

Many thanks to Mrs AlanM for the directions.

I may be coming by train but don't know how far away it is, does anybody know if I would need to get a cab or something from the station. The nearest train station is Farnborough East.

Also, please bring your passports for the id, security pass.

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/eglf.jpg

AlanM
12th Aug 2004, 07:06
Farnborough Main is the closest to IVELEY gate - the TAG entrance.

It is now fully signpostedfrom the M3 - impossible to get lost !!! :)

PPRuNe Radar
12th Aug 2004, 09:02
It is now fully signpostedfrom the M3 - impossible to get lost !!!

AlanM, remember it's pilots we're dealing with here :p

BRL
12th Aug 2004, 09:51
Here is some more info courtesy of AlanM's wife.......
----------------------------------------------------------------------
A few things that may help some of the visitors...........

Farnborough Main railway station is a five minute taxi ride away or about
30min walk. (Farnborough Main is the closest to Ively Gate)

There is a pub just outside Ively gate called 'The Monkey Puzzle' and the
food is quite good and a nice beer garden for sunny days.

If people have passports that is good but if not a driving licence or
similar is good. As you are being sponsored by me they may not ask for ID.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go, Someone has just dropped out this morning and I am waiting for three people to confirm so there are still places left for anyone interested, just drop your details off to me via e-mail if you fancy it.
[email protected]

It looks like I will be arriving by train, going to try and get the 1217 from Clapham to Farnborough main. That arrives at 1254.
Other train times are 1252 arr 1321 and 1317 arr 1354.

Andy_R
12th Aug 2004, 17:23
I take it there is no problem parking??

They do allow bikers in don't they?? :p

Munchie
17th Aug 2004, 19:42
Here's a great map of how to reach TAG Farnborough Airport. Enjoy your day.http://www.tagaviation.com/images/management/farnborough/mapToFarnborough.gif

BRL
17th Aug 2004, 20:22
Excellent map, many thanks for that.
Here is the full list of people going. The list is now closed.

Myself
Cloud69
MikeJ
Babel Fish
N Reg Aztec
Mrs N Reg Aztec
Tall Guy In A 152
Marian
Map5623
SingaporeGirl
Papa Charlie
Down and Out
Rhys S Negative
IO91
Flyboy F33
Pianorak
High Wing Drifter
Phoenix09

Please don't forget to bring your passports........

Any problems, call me on my mobile....07946609259.

See you there... :)

Marian
21st Aug 2004, 18:19
A very interesting visit to Farnborough today - many thanks for organising this.

It was really useful to meet the people I speak to over the radio and see how they work. I have been reallly nervous about using the radio (dunno why), but I think it will be easier now.

map5623
21st Aug 2004, 19:14
Agree with Marian, a really interesting visit, BRL thanks very much for organising this for us.

Mike

Papa Charlie
21st Aug 2004, 19:55
Many thanks, BRL. Really informative and quite an eye opener. Really appreciated their hospitality.

N Reg Aztec
21st Aug 2004, 20:03
Alan,

Thanks for organising this and many thanks to Angela for giving up her time to show us around.

Very informative and most enjoyable!

Thanks Again.

Andy_R
22nd Aug 2004, 00:15
Many many thanks for what was a very informative day. Thanks to Angela and Gareth for their warm hospitality and giving up their Saturday afternoon to enlighten us all. And to think they could have been mowing their lawns instead ;)

Just sorry I had to dash back to work instead of joining the ones down the pub :ugh:

Thanks for organising it all BRL

Andy

High Wing Drifter
22nd Aug 2004, 06:34
Agreed. An excellent and very useful visit. I can only second my appreciation for the time the Farnbrough staff and BRL put into this :)

Was just me or did anybody else think their lookout must be lacking after seeing the multitude of returns on that radar...all those gliders!! Very very useful to know the limitations of the 'digital' (if that is the right word) systems too.

Great to meet some fellow prooners too :)

Should we post a sticky points learned thread?

AlanM
22nd Aug 2004, 06:38
Thanks to Angela and Gareth for their warm hospitality and giving up their Saturday afternoon to enlighten us all. And to think they could have been mowing their lawns instead

Don't worry - she did after she got home!! :)

Pianorak
22nd Aug 2004, 09:08
I too would like to express my thanks and appreciation to BRL for having organized this trip and to the Farnborough people for the warm welcome extended.

A special thanks to Gareth whose “Please talk to us!” will hopefully have managed to demolish at least some reluctance on my part to press the PTT button. :ugh:

Weather permitting you’ll be hearing from this rookie tomorrow! :ok:

MikeJ
22nd Aug 2004, 19:22
Just to add my thanks to BRL and AlanM. Flying from Fairoaks for many years means that I have been talking to them so much - but its good to actually meet the faces.
The pint(s) after were very pleasant also!
Mike.

down&out
23rd Aug 2004, 09:49
I must add my thanks too:

BRL thanks for organising it.
Gareth and Angela a sincere thanks for giving up your afternoons to show us around, great to see the 'other' side of the radio and understand what's important for you guys.

PS Interesting to hear the real story behind the "Blackbushe" bomber incident;)

PPS I would recommend this visit to any pilot, tyro or experienced, if another trip is organised.

Rhys S. Negative
23rd Aug 2004, 11:21
Standing by to add my thanks, too...

to those who generously gave of their free time, and those who worked on through the added distraction!

'Rhys'.

High Wing Drifter
23rd Aug 2004, 11:53
and those who worked on through the added distraction
That was probably my fault, my laugh is a bit too boomy and loud at times :O

BRL
23rd Aug 2004, 12:25
I must add my thanks to Angela for her time and patience helping sort this out and also to Gareth for giving up his spare time to take a group around and answer questions for a few hours. Also to the guys on that afternoon for taking time out to explain what was going on and their reasoning behind decisions they were making there and then. Great stuff.

Thanks to all that turned up, I believe it was very positive for both sides. Good to meet you all and thanks for the positive feedback given. :)

PPRuNe Radar
23rd Aug 2004, 12:42
For those 'ooop North or behind the 'porridge curtain', then this one might be of interest.

Visit to Scottish ATC Centre (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116413)

Ryanair also fly in to Prestwick where the Centre is located, so a cheap trip might be possible from Dublin, Stansted, Paris, etc, etc ....

Or if you fly in then the landing fee is £12.