PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Insurance and Flying

windymiller7
5th Jul 2004, 16:37
I have an annual holiday travel policy with Direct line for me and my family, I am about to renew it, however they have advised me that it does not cover private flying, so I wont be covered whilst travelling only after I have arrived( although they were not to sure on this). Has anyone had the same problem and is there a company that offers Travel insurance combined with flying?

Phoenix09
5th Jul 2004, 17:35
It is also worth remembering to take an E111 form with you if flying within Europe.

I recently took my mother to Le Touquet for lunch where unfortunately, in the restaurant, she had a stroke. The hospital was very good but they were also very keen to get their hands on the E111 which unfortunately we hadn't taken with us. It was just one more concern that, at the time, I could have done without.

I shall always ensure that I have mine with me when I fly abroad and will strongly advise anybody I might take with me to do the same.

Whirlybird
5th Jul 2004, 18:20
Try Traffords 0870 9000 331 www.traffords-insurance.co.uk I did some research on this a couple of years ago and they were the best and cheapest.

QDMQDMQDM
5th Jul 2004, 19:42
Also try Tony Stinson at Westair aviation brokers. [email protected]

He is very helpful and very reasonable. He has arranged my holiday travel insurance.

QDM

capt_sparky
6th Jul 2004, 01:51
I'd also recommend Traffords - they have always been very helpful and their premiums seem reasonable.

Aim Far
6th Jul 2004, 09:16
Most of the annual travel policies will cover private flying on payment of a suitable additional premium. I've had policies with Worldwide http://www.worldwideinsure.com/contact.htm?partnerID=null&partner=null
and with American Express. Both covered private flying. Worldwide charged me about £30 extra IIRC, Amex was more.

Try pushing Direct Line a little harder.

knobbygb
19th May 2005, 11:34
Sorry to ressurect a quite old thread, but I've just been sorting out travel insurance for a flying trip to the USA and wanted to pass on my experience.

I tried the two companies mentioned above, but while both seemed quite reasonable, they were only able to offer an off-the-shelf fully inclusive package which covered just about everything in the world (pet cover :confused: ) and gave full flying cover for the duration of the trip. This more than doubled the total rate and worked out at nearly four times the rate of a basic policy (no baggage or money cover required as that's included in my household insurance).

In the end I bought a policy from travelinsurance.co.uk They allow cover for flying a light aircraft to be added onto any of their policies at a flat rate of GBP 3.43 per day (for the USA - less for Europe) - so I could get a very basic policy just covering medical expenses etc, and add flying cover just for the 4 days I'll be flying (out of a 10 day trip) at virtually negligable extra cost. You don't have to specify which days you'll be flying - they trust you to just fly the number of days you declare. Personal accident cover is excluded (i.e. compensation), but full medical cover and repatriation is included, which is the important bit.

Seemed a pretty good deal to me, so just thought I'd pass on the info. Hope there's no problem mentioning the company name here, as others have already been mentioned.

Oh, one point I found - if you're looking at policies from the 'big name' insurers, many offer flying cover at additional cost but only cover you as a pax in a private light aircraft, not as pilot, which seemed a bit odd. Not sure how they can say being the pilot is more dangerous really.

englishal
20th May 2005, 17:35
Me and the Mrs have a Traffords annual policy. About £150 the year for both of us, and covers flying, snowboarding, USA, worldwide. A similar Boots policy including Skiing was over £100 without the flying cover, so good value I think.

DubTrub
20th May 2005, 20:48
GBP 3.43 per day So £1250 p.a., then. (admittedly, you would not take up an annual policy on that basis)

Sounds a lot to me...Traffords offered me about £130 (OK, 3 years ago) for me AND family for a full year, all private flying risks, all things covered (OK, so I don't ski, white water raft or skateboard any more) but I took their offer up.

knobbygb
20th May 2005, 22:03
I agree - as I said originally, Traffords seemed good value - and certainley are for the annual policy - currently GBP99 for a single person. I'll be buying one when I can once more afford to travel/fly more often. I usually have an Airmiles annual policy because none of the others cover you for loss of miles if you have to cancel.

In this case all I needed was cover for a short holiday with a few days flying - I paid less than GBP30, Traffords wanted over 50. Just thought it'd worth pointing out that cover can be had for short trips or just the odd days flying - somthing I've been after for a while.

Hanna Reitsch
23rd May 2005, 17:28
If you hire an aircraft in France they usually include a level of insurance with the membership (I've never succeeded in hiring without some form of joining fee), this can equal the cover you've bought at home sometimes. Interesting if with UK bought cover, all private flying risks are covered as I've been told "no" to some activities and had to go elsewhere.

In the US, hirers are often impractical with the cover they extend, eg no runways of less than 4000' -- for a 172, so its useful to have belt and braces sometimes.

Hanna.