PDA

View Full Version : Heading Correction Software

jonathang
5th Jul 2004, 14:32
Hi ,

Wonder if anyone had the address for a program I saw on here a while back to practice reciprocal headings?

Tried a search for it, no luck.

Thanks

Jonathan

p.s. any other useful aptitude software would be helpful.

quixeven
5th Jul 2004, 16:23
Hello,

not sure this is what you were looking for, but I thought it might be of some interest.

http://www.relia.net/~george/aviation/sim/

Nicola

StrateandLevel
5th Jul 2004, 18:22
You could try adding or subtracting 180 degrees

jonathang
5th Jul 2004, 18:34
StrateandLevel : You could try adding or subtracting 180 degrees

Yes, stating the obvious and a extremely helpful reply

However there is a piece of software that generates random headings for you and you enter reciprocals to help practice.
A common test in aptitudes for accuracy and speed.

Thanks for such a helpful reply.

Fly Stimulator
5th Jul 2004, 19:51
A couple of minutes work in Excel has produced the following Patent Fly Stimulator Reciprocal Heading Practice Engine!

It requires a massive two cells to work.

It the first, enter this formula:
=ROUND(RAND()*360,0)

In the second, enter this:
=MOD(address of first cell+180,360)

That's it. Every time you press the recalculate key (F9) you'll get a new heading and a new reciprocal.

Obviously this makes the task a trifle easy, so you may wish to cover up the answer cell in some way (scroll it off the screen, set the text colour to the background colour, drag something else over it etc., etc) so that you have the chance to work out your own answer first.

RichyRich
6th Jul 2004, 11:22
My turn to state the obvious:

Add 200, subtract 20 (or vice versa).

Example: heading 236
Reciprocal: 236 - 200 + 20 = (036 + 20) = 056

Another: heading 123
Reciprocal: 123 + 200 - 20 = (323 - 20) = 303

Also, you have instruments (DI, VOR etc) with it on, in front of you: just read it off.

Going back underground now...

englishal
6th Jul 2004, 12:02
Just basic maths init?

If you're flying between 0-179° add 180°.

If you flying between 180-359 subtract 180°.

Dunno what there is to practice really, you can either add/subract 180 in the head or not. If you can't, look at the DI and it'll visually tell you (my preferred methon :D), or use a calculator......

EA:D

jonathang
6th Jul 2004, 16:02
My turn to state the obvious:

Add 200, subtract 20 (or vice versa).

Yep the technique I use. The question was NOT how to calculate them it was how to:

practice reciprocal headings?

This is often used in aptitude selection as an accuracy and speed test. Clearly you have not sat aptitudes with this test.

Also, you have instruments (DI, VOR etc) with it on, in front of you: just read it off.

Also not a useful technique when you don't have one in aptitude testing.

Dunno what there is to practice really, you can either add/subract 180 in the head or not. If you can't, look at the DI and it'll visually tell you (my preferred methon ), or use a calculator......

Read the question again. Practice, I can do it fine. Wanted to use the software that was on pprune couple years back to practice this test.

Jonathan

englishal
6th Jul 2004, 16:38
Here you go, here's several to help you practice:-

Rgds
EA;)

Timothy
6th Jul 2004, 16:50
Something that I am sure is obvious to jonathang, but may not have occurred to others, is that the first two numbers of the reciprocal always add up to the same, or in a couple of cases something memorably obvious:

01 19
02 20
03 21
04 22
05 23
06 24
07 25
08 26
09 27
10 28
11 29
12 30
13 31
14 32
15 33
16 34
17 35

This means that the easiest way of doing the calculation is to learn the above list (with the prompt/reality check that the numbers add up) then add (always add!) the third digit.

Oh, and jonathang, I'll accept your wrist slap for not answering the question as read, OK?

jonathang
6th Jul 2004, 17:15
Thanks, and had spotted it before. (Prestwick 13/31)

Just sick of smart comments to a valid question.

I used this softare pre- British Airways CEP Selection and it speeded up my responces under pressure.

Jonathan

mad_jock
6th Jul 2004, 20:41
Are but....

Try adding wind correction in as well :D

Its just as easy i might add :D

Just have to rememeber to know the difference between your track and heading then add and subtract as needs be.

Even better if you can work out what your out bound is in the hold after wanging it in at above hold speed and then have to go into the hold when you expect a vector while dropping 60 knots off. 2.5 and 3 works alot better than 3 and 3.

Its not a daft question jon its one we use everyday on the line. Well the none FMC equip aircraft.

MJ

englishal
7th Jul 2004, 07:31
Thanks for the PM jonathang,

I consider myself suitably bollocked for my outrageous posts :D No I don't think I'm smarter than the average, and sorry you took offence at my posting, which was a lighthearted attempt to put some chill into someone who's obviously suffering from so much stress.....

Why don't you use Fly Stimulators' Reciprocal Heading Practice Engine?

All the best
EA;)

jonathang
7th Jul 2004, 13:33
No bother, happy with the responces.

Would not say I'm stressed just like to be Prepared.

Bottom line all the reply's I had the answers to already. Still don't have the software which mimics tests conducted by the RAF, Ex BA CEP and other Aptitude tests.

Never mind just hope I am fast and accurate enough.

Jonathan

gingernut
8th Jul 2004, 15:48
Sorry don't know of any software, the adding 200, subtracting 20, or subtracting 200, adding 20 , works for me in the cockpit, (where normal reason just seems to leave me).

As for mental arithmetic, practice does make perfect, even if its just calculating eta's for nav exercises. I use car registrations, and digits from my car clock......how sad is that ?

Fly Stimulator
9th Jul 2004, 10:45
Jonathang,

Just for you, I have created the Fly Stimulator Reciprocal Practice Engine Mk II! (http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/recip.html)

You can save the page to your hard disk so that you don't need to remain online to use it.

A possible Mk III version could include a timer function with a critical message if you take too long to work out the answer!

jonathang
10th Jul 2004, 02:40
Thanks Fly Simulator.

Mimic's what the software did.

Jonathan