View Full Version : I/R problems need advice

AV8 consultants
5th Jul 2001, 02:40
Flight number two. SID the NDB approach and DME arrival. Problem: have not flown the twin in 7 weeks. I feel as if I am overloaded with things to do and remember in the cockpit. I have the plan and maps etc in order, even a checklist of things to do in sequence for my own benefit. As soon as I focus on another task the scan goes to pieces and I am immediately behind the aircraft. I feel as if the brain can only do a few things at once, one more thing added and I lose the first thing I was trying to do. I know I can do it, only I wish I could get it right even initially.Radio calls and keeping track of fuel log, intercepts, situational awareness, its all a bit much for the brain to do. I am an old (39) aviator, is it my age as I hear that the older you are the harder it is.
What I need from fellow experienced ppruners who have an I/R is advice on how to get over this "hump", its frustrating me to no end and is shattering my confidence in my ability.
HELP!

kavu
5th Jul 2001, 05:54
1. Got a computer sim? Ifso try that and get back up to speed with the instruments and scanning.

2. If turning to custard then just take a deep breath and focus again on the problem.

3. Aviation, Navigate, Communicate.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Clear Air Visibility Unlimited

john_tullamarine
5th Jul 2001, 07:42
Excluding the few "real" aces who depress and impress the rest of us mortals, what you experienced is quite normal in the situation where you are out of practice.

In the short term, you can only control your immediate workload as necessary to keep yourself ahead of the aircraft. This might dictate a hold, a reduction in IAS, an earlier descent, more work in the preflight documentation planning ... whatever it takes to unload yourself.

In the longer term, get the practice however you can organise .. and the problem reduces. PC sims can help, link trainer is wonderful, full flight sims are near enough to the real thing and, of course, you can always spend some money and do a bit more flying. There is no easy way out of the problem for most of us ...

It doesn't go away ... it just reduces in severity. It is always there, lurking in the background ... you just need to mismanage a flight's progress sufficiently and let yourself get overloaded to enjoy it ...

[This message has been edited by john_tullamarine (edited 05 July 2001).]

B747400
5th Jul 2001, 12:18
Hi AV8,

Mate, I had the same prob's as you. Best advice is to go and spend some $$$ doing a few sim sessions in an ATC810 or similar. Or better still, you got access to the LINK??

I did the above for my CIR and was $$$ well spent...Also take time off work to do it. You can't work earlies and then Instruct as well as do your CIR training. One thing has to give!!!!!!!!

Cheers

RVR800
5th Jul 2001, 13:21
I have experienced the same problem as yourself AV8 and currency on type is an
important consideration

Its also a matter of prioritisation as above
Aviate-Navigate-Communicate

In the past I have wrongly been chatting to
ATC and/or doing routine checks changing frequency etc etc but NOT SCANNING

After 7 weeks if your brain cant handle
the workload then tell ATC to standby.
only Change one digit at a time COM/NAV.
break down the checks ignore them if neccessary COS IF YOU AINT SCANNING YOU'RE
NOT AVIATING. PERIOD.

GT
6th Jul 2001, 13:22
Hi all,

I have to agree with RVR800. The scan is paramount - nothing must be allowed to detract from it. As he implies, if you're scanning, then you're flying the aeroplane, comfortably hopefully, creating yourself more time for other tasks. If the scan breaks down, height, heading, speed etc. go to pot - now lots of mental effort is required to get things back on an even keel and so even less capacity is then available for the other tasks. Believe me, I've been there!

What I try is this, and granted it's not always possible. Try to keep your head still, looking straight ahead at the instruments. If you then need to do another task, say change a frequency, move your eyes, but not your head. This allows you to still scan through peripheral vision, to a degree. As someone else alluded to, do tasks a bit at a time returning to the scan between times. Remember, you have more time than you think, but you have to create it by management.

Knowing your aeroplane is a great help too, so that you can locate controls (carb. heat, flaps etc.) without having to look away from the scan to do so. This can be practiced on the ground, and for free!

Lastly, yes you're right: it is easier to preach all this than to practice it. It is hard work but it'll come. Best of luck.

Regards, GT.

Say again s l o w l y
6th Jul 2001, 22:06
Take a deep breath and try to slow yourself down, prioritise and try to work methodically. Blindingly obvious to everyone except the person who's in the s**t. (usually me.) See if you can get some back seat rides, watch all the time and think, what would I be doing here? I found that almost as useful as doing the flying, and best of all it's free. You can't beat time in the air, no matter what.

Good luck, it does get easier quickly as soon as you stop getting worried by it. We've all been there.(Usually once a year at renewal time!!) :)

Angle of Attack
8th Jul 2001, 05:29
I liken the IFR stages of your training to bulding a skyscraper. It is so important to have your BASIC instrument scan down pat before trying to proceed with all the other things you mentioned. Don't take your eyes off the scan for more than a few seconds while doing tasks. A lot of people tend to do an approach brief or something and just stop looking at the instruments! Of course the aircraft goes into a spiral dive, or stall turn or something like that!

The basic scan is the foundation of the building, all the other calls, checks, clearoffs etc are the furnishings inside. If you have a good scan and are a bit slow with all the procedural type things at least you've got a foundation and with practise the other tasks will become easier to accomplish in the given time. If you are really good with procedures etc, but your scan is bad, the foundation is'nt there and it will come crashing down, flight after flight. anyway thats my 2 cents worth!

john_tullamarine
8th Jul 2001, 06:42
I would urge caution when going down the path of suggesting that any one thing is so paramount as to be worthy of intense concentration to the exclusion of other things.

Instrument scan pattern and rate is very important if you are hand flying but the mark of a good pilot is his/her ability to keep it all nicely ticking along, assigning appropriate priorities on an as-required basis throughout a flight.

I suspect that a good pilot has a characteristically short concentration span which reduces the likelihood of fixation. This particular problem can get one into all sorts of difficulties.

One should use the autopilot and other automatics in an appropriate manner to reduce manipulative and cognitive workload.

If handflying, make sure that trim is maintained and that thrust is set symmetrically.

Naturally, if it is a nasty, bumpy day, everything in the difficulty department escalates.

RVR800
9th Jul 2001, 12:21
John T

Would not AV8 be 'hand flying' the whole test
- he certanly would in the UK on an IR test?

Automatics are not part of the picture at this stage in the UK

john_tullamarine
9th Jul 2001, 14:06
I have no knowledge of UK training and testing procedures.

In Australia it would be common practice to use the autopilot except where the examiner nominates the need for handflying demonstrations.

While handflying is very important, the pilot has to integrate a range of disciplines in the successful conduct of an IFR flight. Fixating on any one set of tasks is not a good idea... there are many and varied things out there waiting to kill you.

My comments were directed more at routine operations rather than test scenarios.

Mr moto
14th Jul 2001, 23:26
A couple of tricks for you.

First and most importantly, aircraft trimmed exactlt at all times.

The two questions for instrument flying are 'What am I doing now?' and 'What am I doing next?'

To change frequencies, just count the clicks. 122.20 to 119.65, for example is 3 clicks left on the outer and 9 right on the inner then glance up and check.
0.075's may vary according to your box but the result is free brain capacity.

Relax and enjoy it. Its a thinking game!
Dick Collins' book Instrument Flying Refresher is quite worth the read.

DB6
15th Jul 2001, 12:27
It's always like that after a lay-off. I went for a sim ride having not flown IFR for about 8 months and although I had a 'current' IR I was so overloaded I even forgot to raise the undercarriage. Currency and continuity are very important, particularly during training, and I wouldn't worry unduly unless you are still in the same boat after a good bit of practice.