PDA

View Full Version : Quality flight schools in Australia

guybrush
5th Jul 2004, 08:03
Hey all!

I would like more information on the reputation of the following flight schools in Australia:
Aerospace Aviation
Flight Training Australia
Western Australian Aviaiton College

Cheers,:ok:
guybrush

QF747-400
5th Jul 2004, 11:20
I've been told that Aerospace Aviation is a bad school. They treat their students in a bad attitude...

Give us the money, finished training you, good bye and good luck

Although I've never experienced them before so I stand corrected... Have a look at smaller schools (Non - reputable) because they're usually the ones with less students and they assist you more better due to the small number classes. They're just as good :ok:

Bird Strike
5th Jul 2004, 12:49
Have a look at smaller schools (Non - reputable) because they're usually the ones with less students and they assist you more better due to the small number classes.

You mean "not well known", I assume?

redsnail
5th Jul 2004, 13:03
QF, and just what is Aerospace supposed to do with you after you've finished training? They have done exactly what they are supposed to do. Train you to get your various licences and ratings. Whenever I have visited them Sue has made me feel very welcome. Of course, not every one has a great time at flying schools, I didn't at another on Bankstown and I left it.

I have flown at Aerospace and I haven't got a complaint about their instructors. Sue does a good flight test, makes you feel quite relaxed.

There are a couple of good schools on Bankstown. If you find Aerospace isn't what you want, have a look at Whitworth's.

If you have access to a car, I would strongly suggest you check out Liverpool Flying School at Hoxton Park. I did my CPL there. Very good value. Nice small school in the Sydney Training area.

Nuggetman
5th Jul 2004, 21:51
Personally, I would not recommend FTA simply for the reason they, like many others, are happy to take your money however the 'after sales service' leaves a lot to be desired...

I know personally a few people that have gotten further in their career by doing their course at a smaller school where it is more personally and you get to know people on a personally basis - NOT just another sausage from the sausage factory !!!

It is your call, but from my experience and the experience of others that i have spoken to - suggest looking elsewhere than FTA.

Thats my two cents worth....

Nuggs

Aussie
5th Jul 2004, 23:31
i fly at Crane air Bankstown, great school.

Atlas Shrugged
5th Jul 2004, 23:55
Check your PM's

Atlas

QF747-400
6th Jul 2004, 04:47
Hi Redsnail,

Well I know a few pilots who went to the smaller schools and after they've trained you, they try their best to find you a first job or give a job for you at their school. Give you tips etc.

However, Aerospace Aviation I've heard doesn't assist you at all after they've finished training you. That's just what I heard so I might be wrong.

Matt Schoberg
6th Jul 2004, 06:39
Try to stay away from the Country schools around Australia. Very poor customer service... I was set to do first circuits with a young lad at the murray bridgee frying school. he canned on me with the excuse that he wanted to fly to sydney in a twen engined aircraft that he takes to sydney. he asked if I wanted to come along. they had no ther instructors available except this other guy called Rej. he said that he was too busy.. they rebooked me for the following week. This joe cancelled 6 other students because he wanted to fly this two-engined aeroplane. That is not fair! I met the chief pilot just driving out and spewed at him. quite frankly, i couldn't believe what he said about his staff. even if they did do something wrong you don't personally slag off your people to customers... if that joint operates that way, how many others are out there who have rec'd the same type of service? if an idiot like that is operating that kind of organisation, how good are his people going to be... any other people been treated poorly by this mob?

404 Titan
6th Jul 2004, 06:56
Matt Schoberg

Try to stay away from the Country schools around Australia. Very poor customer service... This joe cancelled 6 other students because he wanted to fly this two-engined aeroplane. That is not fair!

No it’s not fair. But I can assure you that this type of thing happens at capital city flying schools as well. It happened to me at Bankstown on a number of occasions back in the 80’s. I think it is just as grossly unfair to label all country flying schools with the same brush because I can assure you that your experience is not the norm. From personal experience the country schools leave their city counterparts for dead when it comes to the quality of the training you will get and customer service. If you don't like the service, go elsewhere. Pretty simple really.

Matt Schoberg
6th Jul 2004, 07:04
Naw, you are right - I wasn't being fair, as I've transferred to Aldinga, and the chaps down there are great... i guess that I just had a poor start... i'd never have anything to do with a school like that again, and when you get a chief instructor that calls his staff unreliable and "too big for thier own boots" plus calling them users and untrustworthy, I would definitely push on to other climes....

Wing Root
6th Jul 2004, 08:07
Hey there Matt,
I see you're a 42 year old South African with an ATPL and a B737 rating whose current occupation is a librarian - Would you please explain to us why you would be interested in flying at Murray Bridge? :rolleyes:
If you are going to create an account to bad mouth a flying school, at least create a profile which looks half believable.

Northern Chique
6th Jul 2004, 11:35
Ive had a fair bit to do with Curtis aviation over the years and would recommend them at the drop of a hat...

They have a wide range of aircraft with differing capabilities and skills (like aeros) and camden is a nice place to fly with barely any waiting time in the bays. I feel its really worth taking the drive out there...

If Bankstown is the place you are looking at, also drop in and check out Whitworths...

Cant comment on some of the other schools out there you mentioned.

MARZ
6th Jul 2004, 13:48
Could anyone comment on Forsyth Aviation at parafield?

grrowler
6th Jul 2004, 23:43
They have done exactly what they are supposed to do. Train you to get your various licences and ratings. Which is fine, if they do that. I wasted considerable time and money at Aerospace, and ended up leaving after the quoted time to do an instructor rating had doubled, and I wasn't even half way through. This was due to their instructors not wanting to do briefings, and management not giving a rats. Then they had the hide to send me a 50 buck "cancellation fee". Yeah right, cheques in the mail! :}
guybrush,

A few points of advise:
Avoid paying for your course up front, a lot of the bigger schools will try this. Once they've got your money you're kinda stuck, and you can't walk away from them easily.

Don't believe the school's PR machine. Statistics do not show an impending worldwide pilot shortage, contrary to what they try to tell you. They will not help you find work after you finish. Their 20 year old instructors are most probably not "some of the most experienced in the field".

If possible get talking to current and former students, especially away from the school, and find out what's really going on.

Good Luck :ok:

Matt Schoberg
7th Jul 2004, 06:10
Forsyth Aviation... Great bunch of guys... by far, your best bet for the Parafield scene... Aldinga is great, too... Stay away from those morons elsewhere.....

guybrush
7th Jul 2004, 08:08
Thanks a lot for all the information, I really appreciate it.

However, could anyone shed more light on the following schools. I heard positive remarks about them on this forum:

- Sydney Flight Training Centre
- Western Australian Aviation College
- Geelong Flight Centre
- Avondale

Thanks again.

Cheers,:ok:
guybrush

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
7th Jul 2004, 23:06
Go to the dark side.

www.gnhs.com.au

foxinsox
8th Jul 2004, 06:24
I agree totally with Matt Schoberg. If you're looking to fly in Adelaide, either of those schools will guide your training well.Personal experience with 'others' has proven the over-the-counter stories can be misleading to say the least.

POLISH HOOKER
8th Jul 2004, 06:42
as far as adelaide based flying schools go, cant disagree with any of the other post except to say that neither Forsyth's or Aldinga operate twins so if your looking at commercial training u really want to learn at a school that can let u loose in a twin to build some command time as that will put you ahead of most of the kids that only learn in a c172/pa28 then jump into a c172rg/pa28r for their commercial training. Also you would want to find a school that also operates a C210 as you can also build time in these aircraft which will be much more expensive than a c172, but you can cost share with some mates. This should not only help you get your first job as many companies that hire low time guys have insurance minimums of 10-20 hrs on 200 series cessna. this should help you get a start over a chump that had only leart in c172. the twin time will also help if you want to take the instructiong route as if you have 50 hrs twin you thatn get twin training approvals as a junior grade three which allows you be be more employable and doing twin training sh!ts all over abinito training.

MARZ
8th Jul 2004, 12:26
thanks guys for the info. foxinsox- interesting... have you learnt at any "other" schools?

Tinstaafl
8th Jul 2004, 17:38
Slight correction: Only the command time on the multi counts for getting a multi instructor rating. This can include up to 25 hrs ICUS.

Dual multi time doesn't count at all.

throttle junkie
12th Jul 2004, 12:25
i dont know what you after in particular? so the best bet is to ring the schools and see what they have to offer. i only really know a little bit about the sydney schools.
syd flight training centre are a good organisation. good planes, great staff really willing to help.
i have heard rumours they are using some GFS (general flying services) planes or sharing sims or something, not 100% sure. but GFS are another good compnay to try, still quite small, i hear have good staff, new planes (not sure about hrs or anything??) and i believe they teach some cadets for qantas, well the melbourne diversion does.

the best thing is ring around find out whats good, price wise, plane wise and who is the friendliest.
however, its a dog eat dog world so everyone will try and tell you their the best

Falcon2000
11th Sep 2005, 20:06
Hey all!

I would like more information on the reputation of the following flight schools in Australia:
Aerospace Aviation
Flight Training Australia
Western Australian Aviaiton College

Cheers,
guybrush

Over a year after this thread was started, are there any changes in opinion about these three schools?...particularly for training from 0hrs up to CPL & MECIR

Much as most ppl here would recommend, myself included, the smaller country schools for training (for various reasons), as international students our choices are restricted to schools that show CRICOS approval.....student visa 'requirements'. (or am i limited in my insight here?). As such, we do run the risk of being products of a 'pilot factory' of sorts!...apart from having no idea whatsoever, of whether the 'friendly' marketing guy is giving you a true or 'virtual' picture.

Are there still any BIG schools, or any others suitable for student Visa's, existing in OZ?
Would appreciate any comments related to these schools or any others that you can point out.

It's queer, that the author of the original post picked up 3 schools from 3 different hubs...Bankstown, Archerfield, and Jandakot. Any significant anythings to look out for in choosing one of these.
I'd like to actually throw in another hub here...Morabbin. Any reputational aspects to look out from TVSA?

Thanks in advance.

Falcon2000
12th Sep 2005, 19:23
Someone out here must have SOME info on any ONE of the institutes mentioned in the previous post..??

or have they all hung up their boots!

Atleast from what i've gathered lately, they're all out there trying to scout for newbees....but what have they to offer this time around..? Same ol' sausage..?! or some decent quality instruction?

would much appreciate any insights from you folks on institutes catering to international students.

shortandsmelly
13th Sep 2005, 01:11
have a look at Whitworth's.

I'll second that.:ok:

TeleMaPhone
13th Sep 2005, 12:08
I am a bit late to defend Country schools - but here it goes...
A lot of people that have learnt to fly at busy airports say they miss out on the basic out of aeroplane training... For example, i know stories of city pilots landing at country aerodromes and having no idea how to refuel a plane because there's no one who drive the Avgas over and fills it themselves...
Where else are there aerodromes where you can practice glide approaches from above circuit height and not annoy anyone (can only do that at quiet aerodromes) - and not to mention you wont be charged with a landing fee.
Where else can you park your plane just off the runway, so you spend minimum time burning your money taxiing, and rarely have to wait in line to takeoff.
Sure, you need to train at the busy aerodromes to learn traffic awareness and their proceedures, but I say if the country offer the same prices as busy aerodromes, go the country all the way. It more hands on and you'll get a lot more out of your money!
TMP

Falcon2000
13th Sep 2005, 16:49
Agreed TMP.
But theres a lot of em big schools that use small airports and even Grass airfields for giving students that kinda training and exposure...
Eg. Aerospace Aviation, Bankstown. Most of they're training, and most other schools in YSBK for that matter, use Hoxton Park for circuit landings and other procedures not possible at their own busy hub. Doen't that kinda give ya more exposure..?best of both worlds thingy...
Dunno if theres such an arrangement at Archerfield or Melbourne....
Perth seems pretty clean o traffic aye?
Any comments on Janadakot?

inxs
15th Sep 2005, 18:03
Folks
For a genuine school, it seems to be this one at Parafield - look under Choosing a Flight School (menu on LHS), shows sincerity to me:

http://www.learntofly.com.au/

Falcon2000
15th Sep 2005, 18:29
Irrespective of which schools you fly with, ...what's with the 'packages' that they offer?
What are the pros and cons one must look out for in package deals for flying training?
There's this feeling one gets, that most schools don't want you, unless you sign up for a comprehensive package with them. Obviously, they just wanna sniff out the greenback ;)
This not limited to just the larger flying schools...even some of em country floks want to sign up students for 'packages'.

Any schools that anyone knows of here, that deal in packages alright,...but don't hurt too much?

Chadzat
15th Sep 2005, 21:33
hehehe, inxs you need to have your "PR machine BS meter" turned up to full for now on.

Lets just say I have had bad experiences with this mob and moved on.

I have heard good things about Forsythe and have "hired and flown" with them a few times can say that there haven't been too many hassles.

POLISH HOOKER, I can't see everyones obsession with PAYING for twin time during their training except if you want to go the Instructing Route. It seems to me that it would be much more cost effective to do your cpl in a 'large single' (someone will have a go at me for saying that:O ) where the hours will count for something, unlike pa28r hrs. Then do your twin CIR.

In terms of cessna-other-than-172 time at PF, there isn't much on offer. In terms of a/c avail for hire, you have a got a 210 with high requirements, a 206 that only gets hired out to Flyig School students and a 182 that i am currently trying to chase down. Speaking of which, if anyone knows of a 182 to hire at PF drop me a PM!

In terms of picking a flying school, try and get hold of current/past students and ask them if they are happy AND if they are going to stay with that FS for the rest of their training. Also treat "past students-where are they now" with a grain of salt.

Falcon2000
16th Sep 2005, 11:16
Thanx for your inputs Chadzat.

Anything else specific to trainig packages? Anyone out here enrolled into flying schools under such 'deals', if i may call em that!
Any past students from schools at Bankstown, Morabbin and Jandakot, would be great if you can PM me your experiences...

Thanx a lot.

Mere Mortal
23rd Sep 2005, 06:31
I have found that the country schools do tend to produce a better pilot in the end. Having taught at MB and a few country schools, the guys and gals in the bush progess quicker and have few difficulties adapting to GAAP, SAP and CTA compared to our city cousins who seem to struggle with Non controlled because no-one is there to tell them where to land.

Someone mentioned GFS as a good school! You will do the 150 hours of a cpl, then rubber stamp you through whether you are up to standard or not. Ask around! Only the schools that are desperately short staffed will consider GFS instructors. The more junior the better, less sh1t and misconceptions to beat out them.
(speaking from experience)

Good luck hunting for a good school.
MM

Ross_11
25th Sep 2005, 11:41
Well, i know this ain't a thread on a war between the country clubs & the the 'airline pilot' trainers!

But just for curiosity, how do you guys distinguish between em?
Does operating outta a hub (Syd,Mel,Bri,Per) mean you're one of em biggie schools?

Wat exactly do ya mean by a small country club?...i mean how do ya define one?....any names to go with it? ..