View Full Version : FTO/RTF advice please

Cityboy wants out!
3rd Jul 2001, 13:05
Some help/advice please on this situation. It concerns Helicopter training in UK.
As I understand it, to conduct training one should be an FTO or an RTF. An RTF, I believe, can only give training on the particular type that he/she registered when applying to the CAA. I also believe that an RTF cannot do type rating conversions. In order to do type rating conversions one must hold a TRTO, which will only be issued to an FTO who has met all of the strict crirteria, ie fixed base, classrooms, etc, etc. and paid quite a substantial amount of money to the CAA for the privilege.

OK, so imagine you observed conversion training taking place at your licensed airfield by an RTF. When you discussed it with the instructor in question he replied that he was doing it on a privately owned machine and under the auspices of the TRTO held by an FTO based at a different airfield. I don't believe this is legal or in keeping with the spirit of regulations.
Does anyone know whether my assumptions are correct? And, if so, what would/should one do about it.