PDA

View Full Version : PPL(A) hrs for microlight?

andyb79
4th Jul 2004, 19:58
due to the usual financial reasons i have had to put my flying training on hold recently as i dont see the point in going for my skills test only to let the currency on the licence slip.
i have however been disscusing with a freind the possibility of taking up microlighting(3 axis) until my finances can stretch to the bigger boys toys.
so i was hoping that someone could tell me what would be involved for me to get my licence for one of these. i have 52 hours at the moment, but would these be valid for a microlight? or would it just be a case of brushing up my skills and sitting a few exams for the test?

and also any suggestions as to some good cheap 3 axis machines would be most appreciated

edited to add another question!
is there a microlight equivelent of the trevor thom book 1?

magpienja
4th Jul 2004, 22:51
If you have no luck on this forum you could try here.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microlights/

This seems to be the main forum for micros.

Regards Nick.

shortstripper
5th Jul 2004, 06:15
Hi

Why not continue as you're nearly there and change to PFA permit aircraft on completion of your PPL? Permit aircraft can be just as cheap to operate as microlights and are usually cheaper to buy or join a group. You'd have to buy your own microlight or into a microlight group anyway ... so what's the difference?

SS

andyb79
5th Jul 2004, 16:40
i did consider completing my ppl and buying a share in a permit AC but above mentioned freind is really looking to purchase a microlight. he is willing to finance the majority of the purchase price with myself paying a small amount and making up the rest of my share by doing the maintenance etc.
i prefer the idea of an AC which is only in a small group(2/3 people) all of whom i have known for many years rather than a larger group of strangers.
it isnt really something i intend to get into permanantly just until i start work again(quit job 2 years ago to go back to uni) and can afford to get something more practical for touring etc.
i just want to find a way to keep flying cause i am really missing it:{

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jul 2004, 22:45
Microlights are good fun, cheap, and I'd be as reluctant to give up my microlight flying as my "group A" flying. But, given a choice, the microlight flying is much cheaper.

I do both as cheaply as I possibly can in syndicates, microlight flying costs me about £23/hr, group A about £60/hr.

If you've got 52 hours, then presumably you aren't far off your JAR licence? If so, you'd be better off finishing that, then doing microlight differences training; the alternative is going to be logging at-least 25 hours training in microlights, which is going to be significantly more expensive I'd have thought. With the differences training (probably only a few hours for a 3-axis microlight), you just have to keep microlight currency, then if you want to fly group A again, re-take that skills test in a few years.

You asked about the Microlight equivalent of Trevor Thom? It's a book called "The Microlight Pilots Handbook", by Brian Cosgrove, costs £20, and covers the entire groundschool syllabus in one volume - infinitely more readable than TT. Make sure you get the latest edition (Amazon is usually the best bet, or one of the many stalls at the PFA rally).

For types, take a look at this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134402) which covered the subject quite well.

G

map5623
6th Jul 2004, 12:07
Contact the BMAA, they are very helpful and will tell you what you need to do. Their website has the usual e-mail link.

andyb79
6th Jul 2004, 14:33
cheers for the responses guys. i like the sound of £23hr! sure beats the 120 odd quid it has been costing me so far