View Full Version : Instructor Jobs. What's The Score At Present?

VFE
18th Apr 2001, 19:59
Hi folks,

I am planning to do my CPL/IR Frozen ATPL, MCC soon and am wondering what the instructor job market is like at present in the UK.
Common sense tells me to do a FIR (keep current, hours build etc) but will I be on a hiding to nothing when it comes to hunting for a FI job?

Apologies for my unintentional ignorance in this area.
Any opinions welcome.

Many thanks for your time,

VFE.

BEagle
18th Apr 2001, 23:49
It probably depends upon why you want an FI job. If it's just to build hours and leg it to the airlines at the first opportunity, then you probably won't be welcome anywhere.

VFE
19th Apr 2001, 02:56
Well, that goes without saying.

But, is the job market for FIs good or bad in the UK?

VFE.

[Edited so I can dig a deeper hole!]

[This message has been edited by VFE (edited 18 April 2001).]

Luke SkyToddler
19th Apr 2001, 11:18
You'll be welcome in plenty of places mate - most flying school managers are quite resigned to the fact that their instructors are looking to build hours and leg it to the airlines. Hence the reason why the pay is so crap.

Besides, you have to build hours even if you want to be a career instructor these days, the decent paying employers (ie OATS and Bae) don't want you until you have 1000 hours or so. So you'll have to grin and bend over for a year or two regardless, before you can reap the fruits of your labours.

There is always a high turnover of instructors in your average PPL flying school for the reasons stated above, and the theory is that it's going to get better for instructing jobs as this JAR thing makes the self improver route ever more costly and difficult. I reckon you'll be OK.

RVR800
19th Apr 2001, 13:43
My experience is that its better now than it was 6 months ago

I have two offers at the moment - once
you get unrestricted its better

I would concur with Luke

The better Wx will help

VFE
19th Apr 2001, 19:03
Cheers, thanks for the replies folks.

Positive stuff.

Regards, VFE.