PDA

View Full Version : Bad Weather Decision?

Penguina
2nd Jul 2004, 12:28
Just made a decision not to fly because of weather. It may well have turned out to be a perfectly safe and enjoyable flight. Am now feeling totally dejected!

I would always rather be safe than sorry, but is there a point where over-caution (or wimpishness) prevents young and inexperienced PPLs like me from gaining experience or dealing with conditions, from building hours and from keeping as current as we'd like? And is therefore counterproductive?

:(

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jul 2004, 12:38
Probably the point where you've discussed it with an instructor, they think it's fine for you, but you still don't fly. That's possibly being too nervous - but talk to a second instructor just to be sure.

G

hasell
2nd Jul 2004, 12:51
Hi,
You said it best ie 'better to be safe than sorry...'
However, if others (esp. instructors) have been flying before your flight and have just landed -always good to ask them what they thought of the weather.

Last nav trip I took, I was concerned about the winds being 23 kts and almost at 90 degrees to the track/heading. Spoke to an instructor before leaving, who said it would be bumpy but that I should be ok.

...Turns out when I got up there the winds had almost totally dropped.

I still do get some agnst before leaving if the weather is not as nice as I would like but oh well... I figure, once airborne, if I dont like it, I'll return to the circuit and land.

Regards.

Has.

Johnm
2nd Jul 2004, 13:04
If you don't have an IMC you need a high level of confidence that you'll have a good horizon and that the cloud base will give you adequate terrain clearance.

In the UK that can stop you any time.

Even with an IMC unless your destination has instrument approach facilities you can still get stuck.

I recently ended with an extra night in Alderney, because I believed getting into Kemble was too risky notwithstanding a Saratoga with all the Nav kit you could wish for and a current IMC!

GK430
2nd Jul 2004, 13:07
Wise decision

Don't feel dejected! Down over the Cotswolds its 30 gusting 40 kts and where I am, we keep getting squalls going through heading east at high speed with CB activity thrown in.

Penguina, up here in the UK you have to be philosophical where the weather's concerned. Look on the bright side; you haven't spent the money today, so you still have it to fly with when the weather's much nicer:) :ok:

Squawk 2650
2nd Jul 2004, 13:23
I didn't fly today either gusty winds prob 30 TSRA and CBs keeps me on the ground!! Cowards live longer!!

I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was flying than flying and wishing I was on the ground!!

:cool:

Kolibear
2nd Jul 2004, 13:32
Not flying today is a good decision, its very blustery here in south Essex. But you really do need to fly in conditions that are not 100% perfect, otherwise you will never fly at all.

The trick is to creep up on your limits and slowly push them back. If you think 'this is getting a bit dodgy', then you know that you have reached your limit. You will probably find yourself pushing your limits without even realising that you are doing it, the more you fly, the more experience you gain.

Today, you made a good choice.

FWA NATCA
2nd Jul 2004, 13:40
Penguina

Every private pilot should develop their own "GO, NO GO" criteria prior to any flight, this is common sense that could, and probably will one day save your life.

Don't feel like a chicken because you opted not to go flying, you made a decision based upon your feelings, experience, and the weather, I say you made a good step toward being a "OLD PILOT" versus a "Bold Pilot" (of which there are few of).

To help improve your experience try getting more dual time with an instructor or another pilot that holds instrument ratings. You can never train too much for the what if's.

Mike
NATCA FWA

montster
2nd Jul 2004, 13:56
Immediately after I took my GFT in October the weather turned bad - too cloudy for nav and really windy - not just Xwind, but really gusty. The instructors at my club vary from mother hen to fly in anything, so it was very hard to make a judgement. End ended up taking an FI up in the circuit on a few occasions to try to push my limits. I'm very glad I did because, although at the moment I wouldn't want to go up solo in weather like that, it did prove that if I got caught out I would be able to get back safely. I found it quite rewarding in a 13kt crosswind, gusting 30kts to do several circuits without the instructor having to step in at all.

QNH 1013
2nd Jul 2004, 14:57
When I first got my licence I decided that I didn't want to experience new difficult conditions for the first time on my own.
So every time there were new difficult conditions I shot off to the airfield and hired an aircraft (dual with instructor) to try flying in these conditions for the first time.
Within three months I had flown in heavy rain, snow, high gusty winds, and poor visibility, and several combinations of these.
This gave me good experience of what it was like up there, when viewed from down here. Not a perfect guide, but nevertheless a great help and benefit.
If the weather is iffy, I spend a good deal of time thinking all the options through, and make sure I have enough fuel and daylight (unless airways equiped) for all these options.

ps I have been flying today, (and almost every day this week).

bookworm
2nd Jul 2004, 15:02
I would always rather be safe than sorry, but is there a point where over-caution (or wimpishness) prevents young and inexperienced PPLs like me from gaining experience or dealing with conditions, from building hours and from keeping as current as we'd like? And is therefore counterproductive?

The downside of not flying when you could is that you get frustrated and give up flying, and possibly that you fail to gain experience that might be useful in more critical situations (see below :)).

The downside of flying when you shouldn't is that you die.

The mere fact that you appreciate that there is a trade-off there means that you're 90% of the way to getting the risk management right.

englishal
2nd Jul 2004, 15:54
Its better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here :D

(Believe me, its not a nice feeling being up there under those circumstances......satisfying when you make it down alive, but not nice at the time;) )

flower
2nd Jul 2004, 15:54
If you had been coming over our way Penguina you would not have enjoyed it at all. Loads and loads of CB dodging sharp squalls and heavy rain gusts exceeding 30 knots. Nope much better off at home PPRuNing.

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jul 2004, 17:17
Sounds like a good decision.

I binned a trip last Saturday because of some PROB30 weather that in fact never happened, and just did a little local flying instead. One thing that is essential is to hire your aeroplane from someone who doesn't get all upset when you cancel - you never want to feel pressured into flying when you're not sure you like the look of it.

Oh, and when you offer to take someone else flying, always tell your passengers that it's at best 50-50 that you'll get off the ground in England in summertime, that way you won't feel pressured by the passengers feeling disappointed.

Whirlybird
2nd Jul 2004, 17:54
I Keep quoting the sign I saw at Thruxton:

To learn HOW to fly takes around 45 hours.
To learn WHEN to fly takes a lifetime.

I cancelled today as well. My gut feeling was definitely "No!" and I've learned to trust those feelings. The forecast agreed, and so did reality in the end - very nasty gusty winds. I could probably have handled them, but "probably" isn't enough, and anyway, I do this for fun.

But I know just how you feel, Penguina; nothing worse than that feeling of "maybe I could have flown", at the time of day when you know you should have had the nice "having flown" feeling. :(

High Wing Drifter
2nd Jul 2004, 18:13
Penguina,

I am like you. Very cautious indeed. I will quite happily fly with lots cloud and 8k viz, with a decent x-wind, etc, etc. But not when the base is 2000' or lower ('cept in circuit) or any adverse effects present within 100 miles!

I try to not ask anybody what they think of the conditions. I have noticed suprise from some when I say "not going" and I feel a little silly too when it turns out fine. Then one day when at the club I said "its flyable" one of the instructors asked to come as he was bored. Half way around the circuit the vis reduced to about <1km and I lost sight of the runway, it was IMC by any other name. Was I glad to have him with me! I vaguely noticed a dark line, thinking this was the runway I lined up on it. My passenger noticed the actual runway was to the left - I lined up on a hedge!

I am convinced he knew what was in store but was too decent and wise to question my decision directly. One of my more startling learning moments!

I think stick to your guns and fly only when you feel is comfortable. Ignore this dodging black cloud derring-do and cock a snoot at suggestions of sub standard training

:ok:

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Jul 2004, 18:21
I'm also careful with respect to weather, but you will find yourself gradually becoming a little more bold as you gain more experience.

I shouldn't worry about it.

QDM

bar shaker
2nd Jul 2004, 20:12
Penguina

The answer to your dilema would have been to sheel out a few extra quid and take an instructor along.

I trained in mostly terrible weather, as my instructor thought I would probably fly in it anyway. He was partially right, but I still bottle out when I know mates are flying, just because it doesn't "feel" like it will be safe when I'm standing outside the hangar.

bs

Whirlybird
2nd Jul 2004, 21:21
There is another way of looking at this.

Flying in good weather is idyllic. Flying in poor vis, high winds, rain etc is actually bloody miserable. For most of us it really isn't enjoyable.

We pay a small fortune to fly. Most of us do it for fun. So why, just why, go flying in weather where you won't enjoy it? What is the point?

Yes, there may be people who'll go. They may think you're a wimp. But who the hell cares? What do you have to prove?

Of course, there will be those who say you should be stretching yourself. Up to a point, yes. If you're terrified of a single cloud or one degree of crooswind, that's a little extreme. But if you don't ever want to learn to fly in strong winds and rain, then why do it? It's not compulsory. It's no crime to be a fair weather pilot.

To repeat, we do this for FUN. So why do it if it isn't fun?

bookworm
3rd Jul 2004, 07:07
To repeat, we do this for FUN. So why do it if it isn't fun?

You're answering a slightly different question -- and don't get me wrong, it's an answer worth giving. A much underrated and perfectly valid reason for cancelling a flight is "I just don't feel like facing that particular challenge today". When people make fatal mistakes in aircraft, it's often because they hadn't fully committed the time and mental effort required to get it right on the day.

The issue for Penguina seemed to be more about not knowing what the weather would be like. If you only fly in perfect conditions, you'll never learn where the line is between fun and misery.

I was rather struck by one of HWD's comments:

But not when the base is 2000' or lower ('cept in circuit) or any adverse effects present within 100 miles!

What's an "adverse effect"? Do you mean you don't fly if there's a thunderstorm within 100 miles? Why not? If you can see convection, you don't have to fly into it. But if you abort a flight every time there's a PROB30 TEMPO SHRA on the forecast, you'll never find that out. The x-wind would worry me much more, because at some point you know you're going to have to deal with it.

locksmith
3rd Jul 2004, 08:08
I have had some really good flights with experienced pilots in bad weather recently.

I would still not fly for fun unless the weather is good but if you can get a few flights with others it will give you a better understanding of the weather and how the aircraft will handle the conditions.

I saw one of TonyR's mates in their TB20 comming back from Dijon in France to Aldergrove last night, so things must have been flyable.

Ken

High Wing Drifter
3rd Jul 2004, 09:14
What's an "adverse effect"? Do you mean you don't fly if there's a thunderstorm within 100 miles? Why not? If you can see convection, you don't have to fly into it. But if you abort a flight every time there's a PROB30 TEMPO SHRA on the forecast, you'll never find that out. The x-wind would worry me much more, because at some point you know you're going to have to deal with it.
Don't take 100 miles too literally, I was trying to make a point :) but if I couldn't fully comprehend the siutation then it may not be a bad idea. We may have to beg to differ a little. X-winds are pretty frequent and if I didn't like those then my flying time would be limited. They are also a known quantity and pretty easy to deal with. TS on the other hand are not. You may see the convection in the distance, but as I have read of what has happened to many others in the past and using my new fangled met knowledge, new CBs can develop around you quite quickly, then it may well be land away and ruin your day or curtains.

Like every other human, my acceptable level of risk changes depending on how badly I need to fly. Thus far I have never had to fly. I hope when I do, I stay level headed.

BTW, I decided not to fly today (Sat) too. Not uniquely dangerous but: EGLF 030910Z 031019 25015KT 9999 SCT025 TEMPO 1019 25018G28KT 8000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1019 4000 +SHRA BKN025CB
Cloud base is marginal, G28 is going to happen at some point. PROB30 is unlikely, but if it does then am certain I will be in trouble. I can still hear the odd SEP overhead my house, definately a case of wish I was up there! If that wind passes then I may pop-up for circuits.

Foxy Loxy
3rd Jul 2004, 09:40
Some one mentioned the IMC rating....

IMHO, holders of the IMC rating shouldn't knowingly fly into IMC. It's great to get you out of trouble should you find yourself in it!

Foxy.

bookworm
3rd Jul 2004, 12:31
Don't take 100 miles too literally, I was trying to make a point but if I couldn't fully comprehend the siutation then it may not be a bad idea. We may have to beg to differ a little. X-winds are pretty frequent and if I didn't like those then my flying time would be limited. They are also a known quantity and pretty easy to deal with. TS on the other hand are not. You may see the convection in the distance, but as I have read of what has happened to many others in the past and using my new fangled met knowledge, new CBs can develop around you quite quickly, then it may well be land away and ruin your day or curtains.

Let me start this reply by saying that I think it's unhelpful to second guess other pilots' risk management decisions. That's not just an etiquette thing, it's a realisation that I'm never going to have all the information to allow me to say "you should have stayed" or "you should have gone". So this is an observation about the nature of weather, and not a critique of any decision or decision-making process.

Convective weather (SHRA, TS) and overnight fog/clag are probably the two most common features that get a PROB30/40 or TEMPO on a TAF. In many ways, that's unfortunate, because, while they are both statistical in nature, they are different in a significant way for the pilot.

Fog/clag is statistical because it's very sensitive to small changes in temperature beyond the limits of prediction. But those temperature changes can happen over large areas all at the same time. So when you see every TAF in the SE of England with PROB40 TEMPO 0610 0200 FG, there's a fair chance that most of the SE of England will be socked in and a fair chance that there's won't be fog within 200 miles.

Convection is different. Simple physics suggest that the whole sky cannot be an updraft. So convection has to happen in cells. Those cells will be somewhere, and, depending on wind speed, they may move. But they won't be everywhere. That means that it's usually possible to go round convection. You may have to delay your departure for a shower to pass through, you may have to hold for one to pass at your destination, or even divert. But as long as you can see it, and providing you carefully consider your "outs", you can usually make a flight going round the weather. That's not to say that there's "always a way through" -- showers and storms can form in lines.

BTW, I decided not to fly today (Sat) too. Not uniquely dangerous but: EGLF 030910Z 031019 25015KT 9999 SCT025 TEMPO 1019 25018G28KT 8000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1019 4000 +SHRA BKN025CB
Cloud base is marginal, G28 is going to happen at some point. PROB30 is unlikely, but if it does then am certain I will be in trouble.

You won't be in trouble if you don't fly into it. Even heavy convection tends to be no more than 10 miles across. So have a plan, and be prepared to turn round.

TonyR
3rd Jul 2004, 13:41
IMHO, holders of the IMC rating shouldn't knowingly fly into IMC. It's great to get you out of trouble should you find yourself in it!

WHY?

High Wing Drifter
3rd Jul 2004, 14:02
Bookworm,
So have a plan, and be prepared to turn round.
Now that I can't argue with!

Foxy Loxy,
MHO, holders of the IMC rating shouldn't knowingly fly into IMC. It's great to get you out of trouble should you find yourself in it!
Like TonyR I have to ask why too?

Whirlybird
3rd Jul 2004, 16:39
If IMC holders don't practise flying in IMC, they won't be able to use it successfully to get out of trouble. Instrument flying degrades more quickly than most other skills; you need to keep in practice.

Bookworm,
I guess I realised I was answering a slightly different question. I just felt it needed saying. People beat themselves up over not flying, when the fact that they didn't feel like challenging themselves is, as you say, a perfectly good reason for not flying. I think it's something we sometimes forget in the "must push yourself" culture of the keen GA pilot.

GK430
3rd Jul 2004, 18:22
Yesterday was not the day for flying for pleasure. After my previous post I watched a 777 depart. Couldn't fly the SID, had to take a left turn instead of a right turn on dep and could not accept headings for most of the route across the UK where he failed to get climb above Fl 90.

Question - if you are a newly qualified PPL and flying a club/school aircraft, do you not get any advice from the instructors? Okay, so some bright sparks turn round and tell you that you're in the L/H seat - your responsibility, but.............:sad:

niknak
3rd Jul 2004, 18:23
Flying in IMC is one thing, but flying over the last few days would have involved flying in the vicinity of CBs and associated thunderstorm activity which has tested the most experienced and professional of pilots and biggest of aeroplanes.

The recent weather is a fine example of the "four seasons in one day" that can often occur in the UK.
To suggest that anyone with a IMC rating or any amount of experience could have coped if caught out in the weather we've had, when flying a light aircraft is, to say the least, highly questionable.

BRL
3rd Jul 2004, 18:51
Here are a few pics from a couple of weeks ago on the way to Compton Abass. First picture is a thunder cloud more or less over Goodwood, the lightning looked amazing in the cloud. The rain is clearly visable in the centre/right of the picture.

Second picture is straight ahead seconds later with heavy rain clearly visable just off the Isle of Wight. We were lucky, we hardly went off course at all, just slightly around the thunder one but not much. Luck of the draw that day really, If we had left taking off by about 20 mins, we wouldn't have been able to go up. Once up it wasn't too bad to be honest. A bit choppy now and again and I am certain we would have headed strait back if things got worse.
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/right.jpg

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/ahead.jpg

bookworm
4th Jul 2004, 07:09
I guess I realised I was answering a slightly different question. I just felt it needed saying. People beat themselves up over not flying, when the fact that they didn't feel like challenging themselves is, as you say, a perfectly good reason for not flying. I think it's something we sometimes forget in the "must push yourself" culture of the keen GA pilot.

I couldn't agree more, Whirly. I use an aeroplane for getting myself about Europe quite a lot, and one of the satisfactions of doing that is demonstrating that it's as or more efficient than flying scheduled. But one of the most important realisations for me was that actually, when the effort and stress of planning a difficult trip with challenging weather start to cross the line between pleasure and pain, it's not defeat to sit in the back of a kerosene-burner once in a while.

Chilli Monster
4th Jul 2004, 09:35
Come on Foxy - 3rd person now asking - why?

1) Have you ever had one? if NO then may I suggest that you discover a bit more before such sweeping statements

2) If so how good was your training? If the answer here is POOR then don't tarnish those of us who had damn good training and stayed current with the same brush

As someone who flew on the back of an IMC for years before getting an IR in all conditions (Yes, I was always current and make sure I stayed that way) I had no qualms about flying in IMC providing my abilities were up to the prevailing conditions - like anything it's just another point to consider in the "risk assessment" game.

IO540
4th Jul 2004, 10:28
CM

100% absolutely well said!

I have met loads of people who slag off the IMC Rating, and to my best recollection each and every one of them had no experience on which to base that attitude.

I do some 150hrs/year, in a modern airways-equipped aircraft in which absolutely everything works, loads of it IFR, and that's more than good enough for the privileges of either the IMCR or the IR, in UK weather.

Now, if somebody said something like "the standard of IMCR instruction is often poor, and most pilots have difficulty getting their hands on a suitable aircraft" that might be something worth discussing. But one could say the same about the basic PPL, actual training versus the theoretical privileges, and we would start yet another thread on the subject....

Regarding the original question of a go/no go decision, caution/safety is one of those areas where one is always on a hiding to nothing ("human life is priceless, and any speed kills, hence speed limits should be zero ....") however I don't generally go along with the often patronising attitude of so many GA elders, exemplified by statements such as "if there is doubt, there is no doubt". If one has had a certain training, one has an aircraft which functions adequately for the task, and the conditions are within all technical limits, and there are fallback options (enough reserve fuel to get to a realistic alternate) then one may as well do the flight.

The alternative is a gradual loss of confidence, ending in the ending of one's flying and wasting of the £5k-£10k (plus a huge amount of time and hassle) one has thrown at doing the PPL. This is what happens to some 90%+ of PPL holders, before their first renewal comes up after two years.

A professional pilot doesn't say "I don't really feel like flying now, but I can't put my finger on why". He has had a higher level of training and flies a much more capable aircraft, so his go/no go decision is made at a higher level of technical challenge, but fundamentally there is no difference.

(Passengers are a separate issue; often a backup plan is a huge hassle because they cannot be dumped at some hotel for the night if the weather closes in, but that is "PPL flying"...)

It is because the training is so inadequate that we get a PPL, with legal daylight VMC privileges down to 3k vis, and then we are told to not fly if the conditions look ever so slightly iffy.

This is missing the objective which is to learn the skills one has paid for, and make use of them.

High Wing Drifter
4th Jul 2004, 10:52
IO540,

I am finding your posts very though provoking. I am doing my IMC (just the skills test to do next week) specifically so I can dart off into the wild grey yonder. I have been fortunate in that much of my training has been in real IMC which is, IMHO, a different kettle of fish to foggles. Therein may lie the problem.

Penguinetta
4th Jul 2004, 20:14
Penguina here. Back indeed from flowerland!

Well, I read all these comments with interest and thank you for your words of comfort. They help! I knew you'd understand.

Quite a few people talked about consultation with an instructor or the club as an option. GK430 even sounded rather critical. Strange as it may seem, I do actually do this! :) Friday was a good example of where it was not so helpful.

I made up my own mind, on the basis of the various 'PROB's in the TAFs, that the weather was not good enough to undertake what I'd planned. This decision was partly based on the fact that I HAD to be at my destination this weekend. I couldn't risk needing to divert and, moreover, spotted the potential to find myself attempting to battle on where I should really be looking to land somewhere.

I then phoned the club to cancel and they were clearly a little surprised as the weather wasn't too bad at the field. To their credit, they didn't attempt to persuade me outright not to cancel my flight, but they did instill the doubt in my mind that led me to post here in the first place. :sad:

Things were not helped when, at my beautiful destination, the weather was rather gorgeous for two days! :ugh: I've been stupidly overloaded and busy with not-fun things lately (as well as a nasty accident), pining for my other world of hushed, slow-changing landscapes and wandering shadows of clouds, where I feel in control for a change!

As to flying with instructors, I agree this has its place, especially if the instructor is good. However, the effect on me of having to defer, which I find undermines my own confidence a bit, has to be set against that benefit of gaining experience of adverse conditions 'safely'. I have spent a lot of time with instructors...

"I just don't feel like facing that particular challenge today". When people make fatal mistakes in aircraft, it's often because they hadn't fully committed the time and mental effort required to get it right on the day.

Whirlybird is of course right: no point in paying to be miserable. But there are times when I have thought I didn't feel like it, couldn't face it, would rather have a beer, etc., but forced myself to make make that psychological upheaval and fly - and landed glittering with enthusiasm and pride, itching to go again tomorrow! This is what makes it such an impossible call!

Looks like the agonising decisions don't stop with the IMC either!

mad_jock
4th Jul 2004, 20:40
To be honest i think I am getting more reluctant to fly in crap wx VFR the more hours I have under my belt.

May be its because people can say less and less about my refusal the more experence I have. And more to the point I really don't give a toss any more about there opinion of me if i do refuse to fly in conditions which I ain't happy with. I used to have to get planes places just so i could earn a living and i admit I proberly did do trips which were taking the piss with VFR rules.

You have to remember why you are going up. It,s to have fun and enjoy yourself not crap yourself from the moment the gear is off the deck to the sigh of relief when the wheels touch down again. Leave the crap wx flying to the pros and save your money for nice days when your going to enjoy yourself, life is to short to take supid risks.

MJ

IMC is a brillant get out of jail free card but it is totally useless unless you stay in practise. The 2 years is not enough you need to be doing a approach at least once every 8 weeks just to keep your hand in. Other than that you know enough to be dangerous .....

Whirlybird
4th Jul 2004, 20:46
But there are times when I have thought I didn't feel like it, couldn't face it, would rather have a beer, etc., but forced myself to make make that psychological upheaval and fly - and landed glittering with enthusiasm and pride, itching to go again tomorrow! This is what makes it such an impossible call!

Yes, I know that one too. Happens to me an awful lot actually. But somehow there's a difference between the feeling of not wanting to bother, feeling nervous, it would be a lot easier to stay at home etc; and genuinely not wanting to fly, often for a good reason. And then of course there are the times when you're not sure, and they're the ones that leave you unable to settle, kind of wishing you'd flown, and wondering if you made the right decision. I don't know the answer, except to say that if you're pushing yourself hard enough that these questions are coming up, you've got to be doing something right.

dublinpilot
4th Jul 2004, 21:07
This decision was partly based on the fact that I HAD to be at my destination this weekend. I couldn't risk needing to divert and, moreover, spotted the potential to find myself attempting to battle on where I should really be looking to land somewhere.

Pen,

For me, this seals your decision, as 100% correct.

If you absolutely must be there, you have no business flying in less than ideal conditons. You could see the danger, see where it was headed, and took the opportunity to break the chain of events. Correct decision as far as I'm concerned.

dp

bookworm
5th Jul 2004, 06:35
Looks like the agonising decisions don't stop with the IMC either!

FWIW, it doesn't stop with an IR, either. Whatever the limits, there will always be a margin close to the limit where the decision making is hard.

Whirlybird
5th Jul 2004, 06:47
To be honest i think I am getting more reluctant to fly in crap wx VFR the more hours I have under my belt.

May be its because people can say less and less about my refusal the more experence I have. And more to the point I really don't give a toss any more about there opinion of me if i do refuse to fly in conditions which I ain't happy with

I'm finding exactly the same thing. :ok:

Penguina,

Just re-read your last post. Firstly, I absolutely agree with dublinpilot; you HAD to be somewhere, so don't fly...too much of a risk of get-home-itis. Secondly, you say you phoned the school; who did you speak to? In my experience, school owners, managers, people on the desk etc know nothing about weather conditions and if you should fly or not. It looks nice; they think you should fly....never mind the forecast. Someone else went up, you should fly...never mind that they have zillions of hours and you don't. Even some instructors are far too gung-ho; they may be able to fly, and even teach, but their decision making FOR YOU isn't that great; they don't know enough about people. Ultimately they're all human, with human failings. Only YOU can decide. IMHO, no-one in their right minds who didn't absolutely have to would have been flying in the gusty winds we had last Friday, let alone a newish PPL who does this for fun who absolutely had to get back.

I have only one bit of advice for you - TRUST YOURSELF!.

FlyingForFun
5th Jul 2004, 09:11
Penguina,

Just another voice to add to those that have said you made the right choice. Especially since I know the route you were planning on flying.... I certainly wouldn't have flown that route this weekend.

For what it was worth, I was flying for much of the weekend, and the weather - in between the showers - was beautiful. At times the gaps between the showers were so big that I was even able to do a relatively short nav trip without any weather concerns. But in general there was sufficient weather around that probably over half of the flights I did involved at least some dodging weather..... certainly not the type of conditions in which you're going to be able to do a longish cross-country with any confidence of actually being able to arrive at your destination.

FFF
------------

Penguina
5th Jul 2004, 12:29
you say you phoned the school; who did you speak to?

The two best people - the CFI, followed by someone who takes a keen interest in meteorology! Just shows that

Ultimately they're all human, with human failings. Only YOU can decide

was good advice! Confidence doesn't just come from challenging oneself after all, it must be innate as well - and is going to be lost if you push your limits and come a cropper.

Thank you dp, Whirly, FFF & madjock.

Wimps of the world unite!

Now, when can I next go flying...? :)

GK430
5th Jul 2004, 12:35
So what was your planned point of dep and destination?

Penguina
5th Jul 2004, 12:42
Was going for anonymity, but as I suspect most people already know who I am these days, what the hell? :)

I was to be flying from London to the west coast of Wales (with a re-fuel stop at Swansea) as I was helping a choir compete in the competition in Cardigan this weekend.

FFF knew this because I consulted his professional opinion earlier last week. :D Congratulations, by the way, FFF: another place for me to visit before the summer's out it would seem!