PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Belgium/France but fancy a change

benhurr
1st Jul 2004, 11:34
I have promised to fly a group of friends to Belgium/France tomorrow but I fancy a bit of a change.

I have "done" Le Touquet, Deauville (I love Honfleur), Caen and Ostend and wonder if there is anywhere else I should try.

I will be flying my C421 but would rather stay VFR if the weather is good but clearly I will need a decent runway length (1000metres)

I am trying to keep flight time to about 90 minutes and will be departing from East Midlands.

Need a nice town near the airport with a good restaurant. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

I was considering Dinard but my Jepps flitestar comes up with no customs.

Thanks for any help - and yes I have searched and searched!

Ben

2Donkeys
1st Jul 2004, 12:23
I was considering Dinard but my Jepps flitestar comes up with no customs.

Jepp Flightstar is absolutely useless when it comes to anciliary information of that sort. Check out the landing fees it quotes if you want a real laugh, but under no circumstances use Flightstar's airfield data as an alternative to proper flight planning.

So... Dinard does in fact have customs.

Does this revelation open up any additional options that you had previously closed off.

As a fellow 421 owner (recently sold), you can get to most of Europe for a weekend if the mood grabs you, the choices are limited only by your ambition.

Why don't you start of by suggesting a country or two that you really fancy visiting and maybe you'll get some focussed suggestions.

2D

benhurr
1st Jul 2004, 12:34
2D

Thanks for the response.

France or Belgium are my main goals - read in another thread about Dinard - I use my Jepps for flight planning.

It is one of the passangers 60th birthday tomorrow and he has been to all of the places I listed, hence the feeling that I fancy a change.

Wrong Stuff
1st Jul 2004, 13:07
Lille is within easy range, they've got a nice big runway and customs also. Although they're lacking any sea-front, they are European City of Culture this year, so there's a lot of exhibitions etc going on. Have a look at www.lille2004.com (http://www.lille2004.com/). They've also got some nice restaurants, so if you just want to sit around in the main square having a decent meal that's possible too.

Alternatively, if you decide to venture a bit further, my other half wanted to go to the Bordeaux Wine Festival which starts today and runs to the end of the weekend. Details on the French Tourist Board website (http://www.bordeaux-fete-le-vin.com/index.php?page=AccueilBFV). The exhibition centre's within easy reach of the airport and there's a regular bus laid on for the duration. Might make a rather interesting trip if your passengers have any interest in wine.

owenlars
1st Jul 2004, 13:13
Poitiers, Loire valley, chateaux etc etc.

Owen

Davidt
2nd Jul 2004, 09:57
La Rochelle - bit further than you wanted but nice long runway, close to town, lovely harbourside restaurants.