PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool approach

MichaelJP59
1st Jul 2004, 08:23
Flew over to Blackpool on a nav exercise from Sheffield.

Now Blackpool's ATZ overlaps Warton's MATZ, and I'm slightly confused on the relationship between Warton LARS, Blackpool Twr and Approach. On the way in, I contacted Warton as requested in Pooleys, shortly after I was then handed straight to Blackpool Twr.

On departing, was handed from Twr straight to Warton.

Is Blackpool Approach not actually used then? Is it a case of the same chap at Blackpool operates both frequencies so it doesn't actually matter?

Thanks for any help,
- Michael

2Donkeys
1st Jul 2004, 09:14
I'm guessing that Blackpool uses its frequencies tactically depending on the traffic situation and staffing levels.

If you were tootling off VFR to the south, there was probably no reason to make you go through two frequency changes in quick succession.

Had you been in IMC arriving under IFR off an airway, you might well have been handed to Blackpool Approach.

2D

tonyhalsall
1st Jul 2004, 09:46
Approaching from N / W or NE and you will contact Approach.

Approach from S or E and you will be handled by Warton - aside from when Warton is not active when you will be handled by Blackpool.

Rule should be contact Warton first when approaching from East & South and take it from there.

In fact this is pretty obvious when you look at the chart anyway

tony

MichaelJP59
1st Jul 2004, 13:23
Thanks. Having just started doing my first solo cross-country trips with landings away, it's certainly a challenge handling all the R/T and being sure to navigate and fly the plane correctly as well.

One thing I find quite hard is "listening out" for messages applicable to me from ATC or a FIS. I hear and recognize my call-sign, but usually have to get part of the message repeated. Any tips or is it just a case of more experience?

- Michael

S-Works
1st Jul 2004, 13:33
Pracice makes perect, the more comfortable you become with flying the airplane and navigating the easier the other tasks become. With time you will be able to fly, navigate, communicate, eat a sandwich and talk to a passenger all at the same time. Then you can really start to enjoy yourself.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
1st Jul 2004, 14:34
Warton is sometimes operating at weekends, sometimes not. Flying up from Barton we call Warton first; if no reply we go to Blackpool Approach.

If Warton are active, they sometimes hand us over to Blackpool Approach (especially if we've been held at Marshside or points south for a Warton movement), or direct to Blackpool Tower (love that callsign :) ).

SSD