View Full Version : Green Instructor

2 stripes
23rd Jun 2001, 17:43
I have recently been taken on as an instructor, and yes I am over the moon, but don't want to appear as apprehensive as they probably are, or do you come clean. I guess the club will start you off on trial lessons and with people who have gone solo, also, is it true that rusty PPL's, no offence meant, need to be watched like a hawk?

Night Rider
23rd Jun 2001, 20:12
2 stripes,

Welcome aboard, congratulations on getting your recent qualification and your job.

You'll find that if the school you are going to work for are worth their salt, they will monitor you closely for the first few months and will be selective about who you fly with, the wx you fly in and who, if anyone, you can send solo.

You have undoubtedly heard the saying that a "little knowledge is a dangerous thing" - well, your suggestion in your posting regarding some PPL's being more dangerous than student's is well founded, as you will soon discover. Don't get me wrong, most PPL's are O.K., but rest assured there will be some who will really 'try it on' with you - they will give you all the bulls**t in the world about how they can do perfect landings when their on their own but can't get close to a good landing when there is an instructor on board. Then they will give you all the bulls**t about where they've been and how experienced they are - some will even suggest that because they have a PPL they are beyond teaching. The main thing you need to be careful of is your inexperience - AS AN INSTRUCTOR. Don't let these few overconfident 'know it all' PPL's take advantage of the fact that you are new to the job.

Well done again, happy flying....

robione
24th Jun 2001, 05:31
Will second that above and add,im green behind the ears and was recently checking out a ppl holder.Iwas lulled into a false sense of security and was sliding down the chair when he tried to almost kill us both on the take-off by over-rotating biggo.Stalled back on to the runway from about 6ft after getting airbourne to early.BIG LESSON LEARNT THAT DAY.

Kermit 180
24th Jun 2001, 09:37
Well done. I agree with Night Rider entirely. I find most PPL's, and even some CPL holders, will try to save themselves the 'stress' of flying with you and some money, by telling you they're brilliant and know it all. Encourage them to prove it to you, but be wary at all times. Remember, if in doubt in any way or form, dont let them go by themselves. Thats it in a nutshell really. Remember, you are the pilot in command and when you sign someone out solo, you are morally responsible for their actions. As for easing into the task, trial flights and flights with green pilos are best for building your own confidence and honing your new skills. This should be done with the encumbance of a senior instructor, who should help you out at all times in the early stages. I really didnt feel totally confident until I had about 150-200 hours instruction time. All the best and good luck with your new job.

2 stripes
26th Jun 2001, 01:26
Thank you Night Rider, robione, and Kermit 180. Night Rider, I will certainly take your advice on board and robione's reply couldn't be more apt. My first trip was with a PPL who had not flown for a while, on the landing, I had to take control after balloning, to avoid a heavy landing, although the CFI was willing to sign the licence, mmmm. The next flight was uneventful but the hands and feet were poised, just in case. I must admit it has been an eye opener, to put it mildly.

Say again s l o w l y
26th Jun 2001, 03:09
I definately agree with all the others. Some PPL's are great and others can be down right dangerous.

In my limited experience (8 months and counting...) I've found that the over confident "I only need one circuit" type are generally the ones who'll try to crunch you. If any one says that to me now, I make them do at least 2-3 ccts for being a pratt. It also lets them know who's boss. When you are heading for the ground rapidly it's not the time to be arguing who has control.

One good tip, carry a sharp pencil with you at all times, you never know when it will come in handy!! (not kidding either, unfortunately) That or a good right cross. Don't ever be scared about hurting someones feelings or upsetting them, just think about all the effort (and cash) you put into your own training and ask yourself if it's worth losing it all if they dig a hole after you've signed them out. Just make them see that you are actually helping to keep them breathing by not letting them go if they aren't safe. Any decent CFI will back you all the way aswell. If in doubt ask them.
Sorry to sound so cynical, it is good fun really!! :)