PDA

View Full Version : Stalling & Force Landing

limchristopher
29th Jun 2004, 03:52
HEy there people,
Can anyone tell me how to write a GOOD report on Stalling and Force Landing?? The usual stuffs like , aim , objectives, discussions , conlusions and airmanship... Any suggestions? Any tips ? Feel free to say your opinions here...
Cheers! and Thanks...

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2004, 06:34
From what perspective? A PPL examiner?, a magazine journalist?, a Test Pilot?

G

limchristopher
29th Jun 2004, 08:05
Hi there, AS a commercial pilot and as a general topics....so, any suggestions? Please feel free to voice out....thanks...

tacpot
29th Jun 2004, 08:39
Are you trying to treat the two topics as related, or do you need to produce two seperate reports, one on Stalling and one on Forced Landings?

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2004, 09:36
To the best of my knowledge, commercial pilots don't write reports, they fly aeroplanes.

Instructors, examiners, journalists and test pilots write reports. If you want one, here's an extract from one of mine, flying a STOL 2-seater as a Test Pilot.

G

Stalling, config L, idle, 1kn/s

QTY 4 idle, wings-level, 1 kn/s stalls were carried out at a height of 3,000 to 3,500 QNH with the aircraft trimmed to 40 mph IAS and full (40°) flaps selected (defined as config L). The stall was defined by a firm pitch break (which occurred before full back-stick was obtained), and the recovery used was full power and centralisation of the control column. The following tabulated results were obtained, all speeds are mph IAS:-

[Pprunevision can’t cope with tables, so deleted]

The wings level idle stall in the landing configuration was benign, well defined, with some warning being furnished by airframe buffet 7-12 mph IAS (3-5 kn CAS) before the stall. Wing drop was minimal. This is considered satisfactory and compliant with BCAR S201. With prompt recovery using the Instructors handbook, the height loss is under 50 ft.

At aft CG, VSO is 20-25 mph IAS, which equates to 31.5 to 33.5 kn CAS.

Because aft CG will give the lowest stalling speed, landing configuration stalls at MTOW should be repeated near to the Fwd CG limit to confirm that Vso remains at or below 35 kn CAS.

It was considered, based upon this result, that Vso is likely to be about 35 kn CAS at fwd CG. This means that for compliance with BCAR S335(b), VF must be at-least 70 kn CAS. At present it is 52 kn CAS. Means of increasing VF to at-least 70 kn CAS (87 mph IAS on this aircraft) must be explored to ensure compliance with S335(b).

Stalling, PLF, wings-level, config L
QTY 3 stalls were flown in config L with power for level flight (nominally 2,500 rpm) set at 3,000-3,500 ft QNH and the aircraft initially trimmed to 42 mph IAS. In each case, stall warning was furnished by barely perceptible airframe buffet at 25 mph IAS (33 kn CAS) but far more significantly a 40-45° nose-up pitch attitude, which latter gave very clear stall warning. The stall occurred in each case at an indicated air speed of 10 mph IAS (on the low speed ASI needle stop, but estimated from extrapolation of previous test results to be 25-30 kn CAS). The stall was marked by a nose-down pitching motion to 30° below the horizon and 30°/40°/45° right wing drop. Recovery was instantaneous upon moving the stick forward and correcting the bank angle immediately afterwards using the ailerons. Height loss in recovery was nil, power not having been reduced.

Whilst stalling in PLF was exciting, there was adequate stall warning and recovery could be effected immediately, without height loss. Stalling in config L / PLF was considered satisfactory, although the POH should warn that a very high nose-up attitude is the best warning of the stall.

Summary of Conclusions

The wings level idle stall in the landing configuration was benign, well defined, with some warning being furnished by airframe buffet 3-5 kn CAS before the stall. Wing drop was minimal. This is considered satisfactory and compliant with BCAR S201.

Idle, turning flight stalls, at 30° of bank in the landing configuration were satisfactory and compliant with BCAR S201.

Summary of Recommendations

Aircraft

None.

Operators Manual

The operators manual should advise that the wings level idle stall in the landing configuration is benign, with some airframe buffet 3-5 kn before the stall, and little or no wing drop.

With prompt recovery using the Instructors handbook, the height loss is under 50 ft from an idle power stall, in level flight and 100ft with up to 30° of bank.

The operators manual should advise that with cruise or climb power selected, a very high nose-up attitude (exceeding 35° nose-up) is the best indication of an impending stall. If the aircraft is pushed to the point of stall approximately 60° wing drop accompanied by a strong nose-down pitching motion can be expected, likely to require about 200 ft to recover from.

Operators should be warned that although low-speed, tight turns are unlikely to cause a loss of control, they can potentially lead to an engine stoppage.

Further Testing

Landing configuration stalls at MTOW should be repeated near to the Fwd CG limit to confirm that Vso remains at or below 35 kn CAS.

Analysis

Means of increasing VF to at-least 70 kn CAS (87 mph IAS on this aircraft) must be explored to ensure compliance with S335(b).

SQUAWKIDENT
29th Jun 2004, 12:41
But were the seats comfy:O

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2004, 12:56
Yes, but that was in a different report.

G

SLF
29th Jun 2004, 19:46
Ghengis

Over-engineered again I think ;)

Cheers - SLF

limchristopher
30th Jun 2004, 04:02
Hi there people.. IT has to be treated as two separate reports....Nice one Genghis! ...Anymore suggestions?

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jun 2004, 06:55
Yes, try some of the resources at the Flight Test Safety Committee website (http://flighttestsafety.org/bestprac.html) or the
Society of Flight Test Engineers website (http://www.sfte.org/). (There's damned good stuff on the Society of Experimental Test Pilots website, but it's all restricted access to members, and if you were an SETP member, you'd probably not need to ask the question. Nonetheless, for completeness, they are at www.setp.org).

G

N.B. Does anybody have a clue why this got moved from "questions" into private flying? It doesn't really belong here.

limchristopher
7th Jul 2004, 01:59
HEy people? Anymore examples of more to force landing reports? No more msgs from people???:{ HELP!

limchristopher
19th Jul 2004, 06:51
hi there people,
anyone got any idea where about to find these reports apart from the websites given?Cant seem to be able to find reports on them....especially the force landing one...PLEASE HELP....!!!

Flyin'Dutch'
19th Jul 2004, 07:31
How about a book for FI training.

Or write something yourself, being a pilot should not be to difficult.

FD

Cusco
19th Jul 2004, 21:00
How about:

' This is the houses lever: push it forward and the houses get bigger.

Pull it back and the houses get smaller: but: hold it back and they get bigger again.
'
keep it back and the houses get bl**dy enormous until they settle gently about your earholes.'

Should get you a 2.2 at least .

:ok:

Safe flying

Cusco

(edited 'cos they left off my siggie thing)

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jul 2004, 22:21
Or you could explain in a little more detail what you're actually trying to achieve?

G

limchristopher
21st Jul 2004, 15:01
I am not that experienced in report writting..but basically, just want more info on stalling on force landing...some might have known how to write a report on these two topics? Anything will do..cheers

Aloyscious
22nd Sep 2004, 05:24
HEllo ppruners,

Now, i need to write airmanship section on my reports. Any suggestions on what should i include in them ? How should i go about it ??? for stalling and force landing??? Thanks a lot...

Aloy

Algirdas
23rd Sep 2004, 13:51
You 2 guys give lots of detail in your requests, don't you....
If you need a similar level of detail in your reports, then how about this?
On force landing - if the engine stops, start it again. If it won't, force land. Try not to hit anything that doesn't belong to you.
On stalling - if the wing stops flying, make it fly again by reducing the angle of attack - all fixed.
:}

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Sep 2004, 14:34
I'm still smarting over sending one of these characters a fine, beautifully crafted flight test report that even my ETPS tutors might have given grudging appreciation of, and receiving a response saying "which website did you get these from". Hmmph.

Chaps, sorry to say this, but learning to write flight (or any other kind of technical) reports is a slow painful process requiring a lot of work on your part and excrutiating attention to detail. You can't take somebody else's and crib it, just doesn't work.

The posts here, in their combination of brevity and vagueness do not, I'm afraid, show the sort of analytical thinking that goes with proper report writing. You need, in my opinion, to start a lot further back with basic technical report writing grammar and structure. Then develop your skills in the direction you are aiming; with perseverance it might not take more than a year or so.

G

Algirdas
24th Sep 2004, 09:56
Genghis, there are those that do, and those that either wannabe, or plagiarise!
Perhaps your motto should be:
"Genghis helps those who help themselves"

:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
24th Sep 2004, 14:48
I think I may have to put that on the back of my business cards.

G:bored: