PDA

View Full Version : New regs for SA DE's/Grade Is

goaround7
28th Jun 2004, 19:59
I met with a CAA representative today to discuss the requirements for obtaining a Grade 1 instructor rating and then a DE status. I discovered that a new set of requirements have been drafted and will be discussed by CAA and existing DE’s tomorrow June 29th.

Important points are:

DE class 3 – can do PPL tests only, pretty much; needs 1000 hours heli, 250 hours instruction
DE class 2 – can do CPL tests, night ratings; needs 2000 hours heli, 250 hours multi-engine,
DE class 1 – can do anything; needs ATP/IR, 3000 hours heli, 500 hours twin, 100 hours instrument time

Major issues on which I’d like to ask comments are:

1) why 250 hours multi time just to do CPL tests, 95% of which are for single engine guys ? What about a single engine DE rating for CPL tests ?
2) isn’t this just totally biased to existing DE’s who are ex military or police guys ? isn’t this a meal ticket for these guys who are getting fewer, pulling up the ladder behind them and going to charge R000’s now for their time ? NOTE: only existing DE’s are allowed to attend meeting tomorrow – is anyone from ALPA or Flying Instructors’ Association going ?
3) doesn’t this make ATP a waste of time for most guys ?

EL SID
29th Jun 2004, 14:32
Hi Goaround7
Does this apply to Fixed Wing as well as RW?
I think it makes sense to have a range off DE's as they do in the States (DPE's). All DPE's there start of with the Private only category.
We certainly need a DE over in the UK who can do more than exercise Grade II privileges as far as PPL renewals are concerned.
Regards, ES

goaround7
30th Jun 2004, 17:15
common sense seems to have prevailed to chagrin of some existing DEs. Check African Aviation for full update.

El Sid,

Similar new multi level FDE ideas for fixed wing but not really difficult to get as fixed wing transport type flying quickly racks up the hours necessary.

Real issue behind the scenes here is that if you grant say a DE2 status where you just do CPLs and IFs then some existing DE1s are all miffed cos they lose the income they\'ve been making in their spare time from the airline, especially if DE level 2 only charges 75% of what they are used to charge. It\'s all about economics of free market against protectionism.