PDA

View Full Version : Barrow / Walney Island

FullyFlapped
27th Jun 2004, 22:52
I'm considering a visit next time I head North, and was just wondering if anyone has been / has any PPrune words of wisdom regarding this airfield ?

Thanks,

FF :ok:

bookworm
28th Jun 2004, 06:39
I spoke to them about a visit last year. Apart from limited op hours and therfore wanting plenty of notice, no problem, despite no connection with BAe business.

Squadgy
28th Jun 2004, 06:41
I flew in there last year. Very helpful and easy to find - just watch out for the Restricted Area to the South of the airfield.

Fairly quiet airfield, there was a RN Jetstream in and also a BAe Systems Kingair. The staff there mentioned that the airfield was to form a part of the Eurofighter program, possibly as a RLG for Warton, so don't know if this has increased actvity at all.
Also watch out for military traffic around Morceambe Bay - talk to Warton for a RIS/ RAS

No visitors at Weekends or Public Holidays

Small Rodent Driver
28th Jun 2004, 06:47
Called in there tail end of last year. Just telephoned on the day and all was fine. Nothing there though, just a coffee machine. The lady controller was very helpful. The slag heaps at the end of the runway make it entertaining trying to lose height on finals with a stiff westerley blowing.