View Full Version : Where to do practice ILS's in the SE ?

mfds
9th Aug 2001, 15:22
Where is the best place to do practice approaches in the SE ? Luton no longer accept training traffic, Oxford I presume is overloaded as is Cranfield ?
Any ideas ???

TheSilverFox
9th Aug 2001, 15:28
mfds

Try Southend. 1 ils/dme runway 24 plus an NDB/DME on each end. ATC very helpful.

Dont go there too often though, I dont want you pinching all of the beacon slots!!

GT
9th Aug 2001, 18:10
Could try Cambridge.

Regards, GT.

A and C
10th Aug 2001, 20:41
Take two students and go to calais for the day its the best training airfield (almost) in the southern UK and you get the fuel drawback !.

SKYYACHT
10th Aug 2001, 23:36
You could always try Southampton - they seem quite reasonable.....or did last time I went in there......Or try the NDB-DME into Shoreham.....

Tailwinds

eyeinthesky
12th Aug 2001, 22:36
For something a bit different try Benson ILS to RWY 19 or PAR to 01.

B clam
14th Aug 2001, 00:43
Farnboro' will accept you with no notice if they are not busy. Very accomodating. ;)

mad-andy
14th Aug 2001, 00:52
Calais is good.68francs about £6.80 and do as many as you wish.The grubs no bad and its a trip out as well.NDB and ILS.

johntrav69
15th Aug 2001, 04:55
If you have the time, Norwich is perfect. Really cheap 75% discount for training and radar or procedural if required. Takes a while to get there, but no traffic to speak of once arrived so good training environment.

Say again s l o w l y
21st Aug 2001, 01:36
Southend are very good. Not too busy most of the time. As silverfox said tho' don't nick all the slots!!!!

Another option is Wattisham if you give them a call and there's not too many whirlybirds about.

No_Speed_Restriction
23rd Aug 2001, 00:19
Ok,
here comes the list:

Southend, Biggin, Cambridge, Norwich, Shoreham(NDB/DME), Bournemouth, Southampton, Lydd.

I'm knackered now, good night.

Justin Abeaver
27th Aug 2001, 21:53
Try any of the Military fields that leave the ILS on over the weekend. Or after they have gone home! Remember the MATZ is not Controlled Airspace for us civvies but you have to break off before the ATZ as they are all 24 Hours

eyeinthesky
28th Aug 2001, 11:05
On Sunday mornings the LCY CTR is not active, and usually the ILS is left on at LCY. If you give Thames a call you might be able to practice a 5+ degree ILS, but beware of the alight clear and minimum height rules on the go around (probably not advisable in a single anyway).

Spoonbill
28th Aug 2001, 20:04
Wholeheartedly agree with all the above, BUT, if you want to do it at Norwich, you must book in advance otherwise there is a very good chance you'll get thrown away and if you do decide to land anyway you wont get the training discount. I don't know where JohnT got his info' regarding "not much traffic" from, but (in common with many other places), they often are fully booked 2 -3 days in advance for ILS training, and
despite the high traffic levels will do their very best to accomodate you even if they are landing on the opposite runway - a bit exciting, but it works a treat.
Justin Beaver, it totally irresponsible to do an ILS to a military airfield when it is closed, even if you do broadcast your intentions, bear in mind that the airfield may be activated at any time for arrivals and departures which usually will only use the UHF frequencies, and neither atc nor the aeroplanes will moniter the VHF.