PDA

View Full Version : JAA Flight Schools - Dallas TX

Gilky
27th Jun 2004, 13:48
I've amassed about 35 hours with a UK school and was on course for completing my PPL in the next couple of months.

I now find that I'm going to be working in Dallas for the next couple of months or 3 and thought that I might be able to complete the PPL while I'm over there. Is this feasible/possible?

If so, can anyone recommend a JAA approved school in the area where I would be able to finish my PPL? I intend to complete the remaining 2 exams before I go.

On the Spot
28th Jun 2004, 11:18
I did not find a JAA school while there but I can recommend Monarch Air and suggest that they may be able to help if asked. Possibly by finding dual rated instructors - they had a Dutch guy on the staff while I was there and who I believe had a JAA rating.

They operate out of Addison and McKinney with a good fleet of aircraft.

Why not go for your FAA PPL ?

FlyingForFun
28th Jun 2004, 12:09
Oxford used to run a school in Texas where they sent their integrated students to do the first part of their training. I know they were moving to Arizona because the weather in Texas wasn't good enough to get the students through the course in the time required. What I don't know is whether the move to Arizona is complete, whether they ever did modular training (which is effectively what you want) in the US at all, or how far from Dallas the school is/was. But it might be an avenue worth investigating.

Otherwise, I wonder how much credit you'd get towards an FAA PPL from the training you've done so far?

FFF
-------------

Keygrip
28th Jun 2004, 13:23
FFF - the move to Scottsdale, Arizona was completed in December (I personally turned out the lights at Tyler when I did their last flight test in the Seneca).

Oxford share the facilities of Sabena Air(line?) Training Academy at Scottsdale airport - and they most certainly do have a modular training scheme - albeit for CPL, though if Gilky has completed all the written exams for PPL then it should be no problem to finish him off.

Snag now is that Scottsdale is 833 nautical miles from Tyler - little bit less from Dallas.

Having said that, if Gilky has completed 25 hours dual and 10 hours solo, and the written exams, before leaving the UK school he/she/it has completed the madatory part of the training that has to be done at a JAA school and could finish off with a non-JAA FTO.

Would just need to organise a PPL skill test (or take a couple of weeks break to get to Scottsdale, Los Angeles or Orlando to finish off with a JAA school.

Gilky
28th Jun 2004, 19:26
Thanks for the responses.

Had a quick search thro' the forums but couldn't find out if: -

- the FAA PPL afford me the same privileges as the JAA PPL when I return to the UK in a few months. If no difference why do all the Florida schools offer JAA training?

- I can convert all my existing JAA hours to FAA hours?

LH_Pilot
30th Aug 2005, 20:27
Hello,

I didn't know if it is better to reply to this threat or to open a new one, but I thought it might help to continue in this one.

My question is pretty much the same, has anyone a clue if there is a Flight School or a flight Instructor arround the Dallas area so that I can make the JAA PPL there? (Maybe something has changed till now.)

I checked Monarch Air last year, but they are quite expensive, but at this time I didn't ask if it is possible to make the JAA PPL there...

I'm currently trying to pass the Lufthansa entry test, however looking at the chances to pass from a realistic point of view, I thought I might start to search for a flight school, in case I don't pass the entry test.

Actually I wanted to get both, the JAA and the FAA PPL at once in order to safe money doing both at once.

Thanks for the help

LH_Pilot

englishal
31st Aug 2005, 10:57
- the FAA PPL afford me the same privileges as the JAA PPL when I return to the UK in a few months. If no difference why do all the Florida schools offer JAA training?

Pretty much. Your FAA PPL would be rendered valid by the CAA, including all ratings. You are not limited to DAY either as the FAA includes night training as part of the syllabus.

- I can convert all my existing JAA hours to FAA hours?

Yep. ALL your hours will count. You will need to do the FAA written paper, but hey, its 1 paper and Multiguess.....;)

PS. You will save yourself all the bother associated with JAR licences as well....i.e. high fees, odd currency requirements......

fly mayday airlines
9th Sep 2005, 17:28
Can you tell me if the reverse is true,can FAA PPL training hours be counted towards a JAA PPL?
I need to know this before i know how i am going to train for the PPL.
Ive already e-mailed the CAA and JAA,the CAA told me what section of LESORS to look at but it doesnt seem relevant.Im waiting a reply from JAA.

On the Spot
9th Sep 2005, 18:35
FAA flown hours count towards experience but not training unless the etablishment was a JAA approved facility

fly mayday airlines
17th Sep 2005, 10:22
On the spot,
things have changed this year.Lasors 2005 C1.2 and credits from flying training now allows any training on a FAA PPL course to count towards the 45 hrs for the JAA PPL as long as all exams and flight tests are passed under JAA and the minimum 25 hrs duel and 10 hrs solo have been met.
So now it's possible to count FAA training hours towards the JAA PPL even where the instructor is'nt JAA qualified.

Keygrip
17th Sep 2005, 14:50
Irrespective of what it says in Lasors - the UK CAA say that they will only accept FAA (non JAA approved) flight training towards a PPL if the student can genuinely show that they fully intended to complete an FAA course - but, for some reason beyond their control, they could not finish it and now wish to continue for a JAA PPL instead.

Each application for FAA credit is done on a case by case basis (so they tell me).

On the Spot
18th Sep 2005, 17:34
Thanks for the update re FAA hours counting. It does sound as if some flexibility is creeping in.

Shame it is limited to PPL - IR training in the US would be a good one.

If only we can get them to see sense over the N-reg in JAA land issue !