View Full Version : crm in GA

mark fandango
8th Jun 2001, 13:14
I am busy doing some reserch into applying CRM techniques in General Aviation training. Please e-mail me anything you think might help with my research

Kermit 180
9th Jun 2001, 05:00
Have you tried applying for accident and incident reports from various civil aviation agencies? These are a great source of 'why things go wrong'. Are you interested in flight training specifically, or GA? I know of no CRM info for GA pilots in NZ. A Human Factors syllabus is taught here, however, so you might be interested in some book titles.

mark fandango
9th Jun 2001, 07:56
The basis is CRM in the training environment. So I have looked at accident reports and some statistics regarding accidents in GA training. Thanks for the info kermit

chicken6
10th Jun 2001, 11:11
Hold on Mark

You want someone to email you something, is this right? You're leaving yourself a bit open there, perhaps a bit more specific might help us help you.

The reason I say this is that there is SO MUCH available that if you really wanted to you could spend two years doing research on "CRM in GA training" and still not know what you have found out. You need to organise a specific thing or maybe three things you want to know so that we can help! And a hint, if there's more than one try starting a different thread for each one.

It is also going to depend on what 'C' you're using in CRM. Is it Crew or Cockpit? The slightly different emphasis means quite a lot if you have to write about one thing but talk about the other instead. For example, Cockpit RM ends when you leave the C, but Crew RM can include everyone from Loaders to Pilots to Flight Attendants depending on how many words you need! (essay or thesis?)

With reference to what I think you're after, GA training (in fact all teaching) IS crew resource management. We as instructors are trying to manage the aircraft AND the student so that two things happen.

1. We get home OK with the same number of students we left with.
2. The student leaves the flight with more knowledge than they had before.

This requires knowledge of how aeroplanes and people work, and managing the resources available ('talent' and mental capacity of student, how much fuel, daylight, and aerodrome considerations like traffic and surface conditions) so that these two goals happen simultaneously. Of course, knowing when the goals are achieved requires a knowledge of assessment procedures and techniques and what corrective/remedial action is most appropriate and introducing things on the fly (sorry ;)) so it's not all talking and showing. "Techniques" are continually being "applied" even to the point of writing things in their records book after the student goes home. Any particular techniques you were after? We've got a few...

You can see what I mean. You NEED to be specific, because otherwise PPRuNe will run out of storage space. ;)

------------------
Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.

Code Blue
11th Jun 2001, 01:44
MF,
While aware of the valid points from c6, there is an entry level book I have used and recommended in GA/teaching environment called:

Cockpit Resource Management, the Private pilots guide by Thomas Turner in the McGraw Hill practical flying series. Its available from amazon &c.

It has a broad range of topics and is as the series should imply, fairly practical. I found it useful.

CB

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
[email protected]

mark fandango
12th Jun 2001, 07:09
Thank you both for your info. Yes I guess my ducks should be in a row for this one. The aim of this paper is to give instructors a tool kit based on knowledge gained from CRM to improve there instructional technique. Particularly in the debriefing of a students flight. Therefore it is aimed at CREW resource managment however a section is aimed at COCKPIT resource managment.
Thanks code blue I have the book by Thomas P. Turner on my desk.
Thanks all

sowot
15th Jun 2001, 06:25
Would be very interested in reading the finished article, if possible?

Code Blue
16th Jun 2001, 01:54
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Would be very interested in reading the finished article, if possible</font>

I don't really like "me too" posts, but ME TOO ;)

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
[email protected]