View Full Version : Duty Hours?

Flat Erik
4th Aug 2001, 16:33
I fly for an airline full time, but in my spare time I'd like to do some flying instruction. Because this is a commercial activity, would I be correct in saying that I would have to notify my full time employer of all extra curricular duty and flying hours and keep within the limits set by CAP 371?

If this is the case then I will probably not be able to instruct.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Flat Erik :confused:

Noggin
6th Aug 2001, 00:38
If you are remunerated Yes. If you are not remunerated, then it is a private flight and does not count towards your total hours. The Company may still wish to know about it though.

Kermit 180
6th Aug 2001, 10:28
I understand the point that 'private' flights not count towards the duty time limis, but do hours gained in this flying count toward a total annual limit?

Kermie :)

Flat Erik
8th Aug 2001, 00:50
Thanks Guys

I reckon I'll get into CAP 371 And check it out.
I only want to be an instructor so I can fly helicopters again, obviously to instruct but also for the love of the flying. however I don't want to spend money on an instructor rating if I am not allowed to use it. Mind you, maybe I could come to some sort of an arrangement with a flying school whereby they pay for the rating and I am not paid.

Thanks for taking the time to post guys,

Regards,

Flat Erik :)

Airprox
9th Aug 2001, 20:04
Sorry Guys, CAP 371 says that flight instruction whether it's payed or not is aerial work and is subjuct to FTL.

I know its silly as you can instruct on a PPL, but if you're an airline pilot wanting to instruct you're screwed.

Two choices: Don't instruct or Just do it. And face the wrath of the CAA if you have an accident. :confused:

Noggin
9th Aug 2001, 21:07
The ANO is the Authority and Art 130 defines Aerial Work as a flight other than Public Transport where valuable consideration is given or promised for the purpose of the flight. No money, no aerial work.

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Aug 2001, 22:31
Airprox and Noggin. I am well aware that there is a direct conflict between CAP371 and the ANO.

Is there some way we can clarify the primacy in this case.

One the one hand if I break CAP371 I know I am legally responsible but I also know that the ANO sits above all other legislation. Go figure...

Airprox
10th Aug 2001, 18:07
Aerial work includes flying instruction for which the pilot is numerated. It is also aerial work where valuable consideration is given specifically for flying instruction, even if the pilot receives no award"

I guess the fact you're getting hours in you're log book for free counts as valuable consideration.

Don't get me wrong I would prefer it if some one could convince me that I am incorrect.

CAP 371 hinders those of us flying on airlines from enjoying our instructor/examiner ratings. :p