PDA

View Full Version : Newquay/RAF St Mawgan

Rubber Dagger
25th Jun 2004, 16:10
Hi All,

I am thinking of planning a stop over in Newquay very soon, has anyone got any info on this airport? i have had a look in Pooleys without any joy.

Cheers

Chilli Monster
25th Jun 2004, 20:50
You'll find Perranporth a lot cheaper.

However - if you have to go. Runway 13/31, 9000ft'ish, avgas available.

tonker
25th Jun 2004, 21:21
Perrnaporth as per previous poster is not only cheaper but one of those airfields at the top of my list of places you must visit.

If you can depart on a northerly runway, as the runway runs out you fly straight out over the Atlantic. Fantastic.

Avgas available and you won't have a problem with any of the runways. When i last visited a Learjet had just landed.

Min Sink
26th Jun 2004, 07:21
I'd choose Perranporth every time.
If you need to hire a car they have a deal with Europcar who will deliver to and collect from the airfield. See the Latest News section on their website http://www.perranporthairfield.co.uk/.

Rubber Dagger
26th Jun 2004, 09:31
Cheers Guy's,

Perranporth it is then, sounds a nice place. Thanks again for the help.

QDMQDMQDM
26th Jun 2004, 10:54
Perranporth is nice, characterful, friendly, well-placed for the beach. Watch out for the gliders and tugs and wicked downdraughts / turbulence over the cliffs.

QDM

Keef
26th Jun 2004, 10:55
Perranporth is excellent - apart from the WW2 connections, the owner is extremely helpful and a thoroughly nice bloke.

We got stranded (minor engine problem) and he sorted out a place to stay overnight and an engineer to fix it. Well beyond the "call of duty".

I'm determined to go back, and to have a longer time at the Eden project, the lost gardens, etc.

Bluebeard777
26th Jun 2004, 11:03
Newquay is very expensive, I had occasion to enquire last week. And mandatory "handling" (of one's wallet) is required.

david viewing
29th Jun 2004, 13:38
Visited Perranaporth in order to take the wife to Eden a couple of weeks back. Thoroughly endorse remarks made about the airfield and staff. They even rushed out and started filling my plane for me before I could leap off the wing to do it myself, a bit of a shock after years of 'self service' at We****ne.

But it's a long way to Eden and the Taxi (based in the village) was £40 each way. The very nice taxi man had never been there before! I would have been better off hiring a car, but would have needed advance arrangements.

kala87
29th Jun 2004, 17:01
If you're visiting Eden Project, Bodmin (EGLA) is by far the most convenient airfield. Only about 10 miles away.

Shortish grass runways and watch for shear/downdraft over the trees on short finals to R31. Great fun. Nice people, good cafe. You can get radar service from Exeter & Newquay if required.

alphaalpha
30th Jun 2004, 10:58
I agree with comments about Perranporth. However, I had to divert into Newquay last month due to bad weather at the Scillies. All the commercials were diverting there at the same time. Nevertheless, we were looked after brilliantly by the handling agent and, in the circumstances, it was not too expensive. So don't be put off if you need a bolt-hole.

AA.

Davidt
30th Jun 2004, 11:25
St Mawgan £39 to land a light single and nil service - complete rip off !

Perranporth about a tenner + the guy fixed up a hire car when the one booked failed to show + waited for us even though we were late back before shutting up shop so we could leave the hire car with him for collection next day. Such service deserves our support.

S-Works
30th Jun 2004, 12:28
What is with aviators and damn landing fees? St Mawgan is a very good airfield with an Instrument approach and is the only one with such facilities locally availble to civvy pilots. All of those services require funding and that funding does not come from selling cookies door to door!

We just have to accept that most places we fly to have a landing fee of some description and that landing fee reflects the cost of operating the place.

I quite like St Mawgan for the reasons above. I am also planning a visit to Peranporth in the next few weeks and also expect to pay a landing fee to use the place. If the weather turns bad or I need an Instrument approach then I will use St Mawgan and accept that a fee is payable for that service as well.

This is a fact of life for pilots.

Chilli Monster
30th Jun 2004, 19:24
St Mawgan is a very good airfield with an Instrument approach and is the only one with such facilities locally availble to civvy pilots. All of those services require funding and that funding does not come from selling cookies door to door!
As a UK tax payer you're already paying for it - the facilities you quote are paid for by the defence budget ;)

Phantom99
1st Jul 2004, 17:03
I've flown into EGDG from EGTE quite a few times in 150s and 172s, and would recommend it to anyone.

I have to admit the last time I visited was in 2002, but I didn't get charged anything for handling, after I explained when booking in that we didn't need any. The ground staff were always very helpful and friendly, but if you need fuel you may need to wait for the commercial's to be services first.

It is a good experience to land on that huge runway, hopefully touching down just after the cables ;) ATC is very good, and interesting to experience military style controlling.

Barnaby the Bear
1st Jul 2004, 20:37
St Mawgan is still primarily a military airfield. The civil side is subsidised by the local population through council tax.
Without that there would be no civil side as commercial flights are still lacking.
There is (or was) a restriction on the amount of civil movements at St. Mawgan.
The limited movements they have are preferably commercial not small GA. So expect quite a high fee.
Depending on the size or A/C try Roche for eden. I don't know who you need to contact. I don't think its licensed.
For bad weather ILS, PAR's etc. then St. Mawgan.:ok: