View Full Version : Spinning and aero's in a Beagle Pup

mfds
2nd Aug 2001, 18:43
I have access to a Beagle Pup 100. I've done a few stalls and incipient spins but would like to hear from anyone who has done any fully developed spins - are they comfortable to recover from with standard spin recovery ?

What speed would be good to enter a loop, does it do any nasties if you fall out the top ? How well does it aeilorn roll + flick roll ?

Any risk of inverted spins ?

Any hints very welcome !

FNG
2nd Aug 2001, 19:12
I haven't flown a Pup 100 for a while and haven't got the book handy to check the entry speeds. The main problem with this otherwise charming aeroplane is that it's desperately underpowered for its weight, takes weeks to climb to a safe aerobatic height, and, if the engine is a bit tired, even achieving the designated entry speed without diving off too much of that height may be a challenge. Aileron rolls OK. Staggers round a loop with a bit (a lot) of buffet. Would presumably flick like crazy but whether that would be wise I leave others to judge. You will have to wait for a reply from someone more experienced than me in respect of inverted spins, although I have not heard of it being a problem with the type. A lot of effort for a smallish reward? Why not try to get access to a Pup 150 (with the spin weights fitted) instead.

FNG
11th Aug 2001, 17:16
Loop entry speed 130 kts IAS, barrel and slow rolls 120, flick rolls 60 (max 75).
Pooleys sell a Pup 100 checklist, but I don't know if it has aerobatic stuff in it. The handbook/flight manual indicates a recommended technique for flicking, but I assume that you have an instructor to show you that. My apologies if you are an instructor yourself.

MaxAOB
16th Aug 2001, 02:35
There is a very healthy pup owners club, i would suggest contacting them for information. Do not have the details but believe Northants School of Flying do. THey still have a pup or 2 and may offer advice as well. Hope this helps - happy spinning!!

:) :o :rolleyes: :o :)

foxmoth
17th Aug 2001, 23:10
As has been said, the 100 is a bit underpowered, assuming it spins like the Pup150 it is a nice steady spin, not to fast, but still a PROPER spin unlike most Cessna/Cherrytree spins which tend to degenerate into spiral dives .

Salvador
19th Aug 2001, 15:29
Beagle Pup 100 and Aeros. Yes the machine is badly underpowered, however it is a delight to do aeros in. If you use the book entry speeds you will burn off height at an alarming rate. Loop from 120 kts ias maintianing red line rpm - if you reach the buffet the pull is too hard. You can even manage a Chinese loop from this entry speed.
Half cubans and reverse half cubans also 120 kts.
Roll - aeleron or slow from 85 kts. If executed correctly you will lose 15kts and no height loss. Flick at max 65 kts and go left. Stall turn from as little as 95 kts - does not give you much of an upline. The whole trick to flying aeros in a Pup is energy management. A Pup is capable of flying the BAeA standard sequences within the 3,500ft to 1,000 ft envelope. Spins are a breeze and viceless and respond quickly to "standard recovery". Flat spins also. Inverted spinning is not some thing I would do intentionally, but recovery again is viceless. Note that in the spin recovery, the rate of rotation will increase as recovery is initiated (conservation of angular momentum)- this can lead to panic.

IMHO the Pup is a classic, and probably the nicest handling machine of its type and era.

The only other comment I would make is that it is absolutely imperative that you train to do aeros properly with a Proper Aerobatic Instructor. i.e. someone who has flown competitively at at least BAeA Advanced level. Do not muck around and just have a go just 'cos the book says you can. Oh and its harder to fly a Pup properly than a Pitts Special. Fly safe and get instruction.

mfds
19th Aug 2001, 19:33
Thanks for the replys.

I spun the Pup last week and it recovered nicely with standard spin recovery. Yes, a proper spin compared to say a C152 but it seemed harmless.