PDA

View Full Version : Navigation and Whizz Wheels

BEXIL160
24th Jun 2004, 20:19
Advice please....

Like many I have faithfully used my CRP-5, and surprise surprise it still produces fairly accurate results without the need for batteries, a good aerial and satellite coverage etc etc.

Recently I took an interest in other "Manual" computers and was recommended to look at the Jeppesen CR-2. Anybody used one. Pros and Cons?

I've also read about "GNAV Flight Computer Cards". Reading the blurb they seem to be an elegant solution for Nav "on the go", but has anyone any experience of using them?

Finally, I've just read "Fly Like a Bird" by Alex Kimbell. Cracking read if anyone's interested, and he regularly mentions his use of a "Swissair" Flight computer. Is this one of the Jepps, or another precision Swiss device?

Any and all advice or opinions welcome

Thank you
rgds BEX

High Wing Drifter
24th Jun 2004, 22:25
Agreed! "Think Like a Bird" is second only to Fate is the Hunter. Absolutely superb! Pity it didn't get as much shelf space as the also excellent (but not quite so) First Light. Something PPLs can relate to too.

I find my CRP-5 a painless and essential little tool. I needed a CRP-1 for me ATPL wotsits but the 5 is much more practical for everyday use. Not actually considered any other makes/types.

TonyR
24th Jun 2004, 22:53
I have an ASA E6B-1.

A shirt pocket size alloy whizz. Goes from 50 - 700 knots (works for most of what I fly)

This was given to me by John Anderson (FAA Old timer) about 10 years ago, but I have never seen one for sale.

Tony

drauk
24th Jun 2004, 23:16
BEXIL160, what do you want to calculate? If it's for navigation purposes...

A WindProtractor will give you a wind-corrected heading to steer and estimated time en-route. It's really simple and much quicker and easier than a whizz-wheel, both on the ground and in the air. It isn't hugely accurate unless you're really careful with it, but do you need to be?

Big Hilly
25th Jun 2004, 09:40
TonyR,

They're still for sale. Have a look Here. (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/asa_micro_e6_b_flight_computer.pilot.supplies/use.id.5.item_id.862/)

BH

BEagle
25th Jun 2004, 10:49
Measure twice, cut once!
Plan accurately
Fly accurately
Think ahead

I think that the oft-maligned 'old-fashioned whizz-wheel' is a very useful and simple piece of kit to use - wouldn't part with mine (one low speed for GA, one high speed for other use) for all the tea in China!

redsnail
25th Jun 2004, 11:59
I used the CRP5 for the JAR exams. Gave it back to the person who lent it to me (thanks). It's good for exams but it just isn't practical (in my opinion) for every day use. Mainly because it's too big and you can't stick it in your pocket.
For my Australian exams I used a small pocket sized Jepp like whizz wheel. Very accurate, easy to use and fits in my shirt pocket. I used a CRP1 for the PPL and the other one for the CPL and ATPL exams.
For work and play I used the small whizz wheel.

BEXIL160
25th Jun 2004, 13:15
Thanks

BEagles advice echos my own primary flying instructor's, and always bears repeating.

Practicality was what I had in mind. The CRP-5 is very good and I actually enjoy using it. I wondered if there were more elegant (smaller) solutions that might be carried around in a pocket. E6B seems to be the answer.

My flight bag seems to have put on a bit of weight recently (like it's owner ;) ) and I am having a go at slimming down to the Basics (the bag, not the owner :O )

Rgds BEX

High Wing Drifter
25th Jun 2004, 14:15
I used the CRP5 for the JAR exams
Oops I got 'em the wrong way around. Yeah, I mean I use the 1 for everyday use. The 5 is just this huge thing :O

Tinstaafl
25th Jun 2004, 16:34
I've used a Jepp type CR5 - the smallest of the circular whiz wheels - since 1987. Oz instrument rating exams and Oz, USA & UK ATPL exams all passed without a hitch.

Much more convenient than the slide types. And pocket size! My experience is that they're more accurate than the CRP1 (or is 5?) that is favoured in the UK. Also some ATPL problems require fewer steps than the CRP requires.

Oh yes....and you can quickly & easily use an off-track DME to provide on-track groundspeed using a CR type. :ok:

Bronx
26th Jun 2004, 18:12
Is it the cost of the duracells keeps you guys using these quaint old gadgets?
Or you don't trust these new-fangled computer things yet?

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Jun 2004, 18:41
you don't trust these new-fangled computer things yet? Not bloody likely. I've earned my living programming the things for decades, and anyone who trusts his life to a £14.99 handheld deserves all he gets.

Evil J
27th Jun 2004, 06:22
After 10 years of flying I recently tried ASA's electronic "E6" type thing. It isn't the smallest gadget you'll ever use but is functional, intuitive, accurate and I don't have to re-read the intructions each time to work out drift! (and I find it much quicker than any wizz wheel)

Don't knock 'em til you've tried 'em.

Tinstaafl
27th Jun 2004, 21:00
My whiz wheel is small (3 1/2" diameter), thin (a few mm), fits in just about any pocket and I can do a lot of problems quicker on it than using a calculator.

The batteries also last the lifetime of the equipment.

Keef
27th Jun 2004, 23:58
I've got a diddy one on my wristwatch, and a Jepp battery-operated one in the flight bag. Used the Jepp one for the FAA exams.

Rarely used either for real flying :)

IO540
28th Jun 2004, 12:37
What we now need is a Form 214 whose accuracy is of the same order of magnitude as that of the slide rule.

Not very likely, especially as it is only a snapshot from the computer model taken at a time which is different to the time of the flight.

Which is why, IMHO, the slide rule is a waste of time. It is just as good to use the "max drift is half the wind" (or similar) rule of thumb.

High Wing Drifter
28th Jun 2004, 13:23
Hmmm, I dunno IO540. I think the rules of thumb are OK for IFR where all you really need as an idea of an initial heading to steer to hold a radial. But for VFR it maybe 15mins before I can get another fix. I prefer to be as accurate as poss rather than introduce more approximations to the process. Maybe, once I have a decent number of hours under me belt, then I will feel more confident with just the RoT methods.

IO540
28th Jun 2004, 21:24
HWD

Point taken, however the one I was making is that the Form 214 winds aloft data is usually so far out that any extra accuracy of the slide rule is wasted.

If you fly for 15 mins, that is 20-30 miles, and unless the area is peppered with clear and tall landmarks, if you are even slightly out you will probably not find the one you are looking for. If one is doing PPL-style visual nav, one needs to be monitoring progress more "as one goes along" than that.