PDA

View Full Version : Rental in San Diego / Flying to Baja

david viewing
24th Jun 2004, 11:24
Has anyone recent experience / recommendations for 172 rental in the San Diego area?

I have a meeting there in August and already thinking of how to escape... Has anyone (non US national) rented a plane to go to Baja outside of an organised tour group?

All advice welcome

David

Flying Lawyer
24th Jun 2004, 13:17
If you haven't been to San Diego before, you're in for a treat - it's beautiful and has the best climate in America.
The two GA airfields are Mongomery Field in the outskirts of the San Diego and Gillespie Field at El Cajon about 10 miles NE of downtown.
There are lots of schools/FBOs at both. I've rented PA-28s or helicopters in recent times so can't help with C172s, but I've used several places over the past 20 years and never had any problems. It's a fraction of the cost here but prices still vary so it's worth shopping around.

Baja
I've never asked, but I suspect SFH to Baja might be difficult for insurance and other reasons. Years ago, someone gave me free use of a Stearman while I was staying in Texas near the Mexican border. The only restriction imposed (and emphasised firmly) was not even to fly over the border in case I had an engine failure and had to force land in Mexico. If you are allowed to fly across the border, don't forget to check the Mexican licence requirements.

Other flights I'd recommend ~

Point Loma and Coronado: San Diego bay area is stunningly beautiful. I haven't done it since 9/11 so don't know if there are any restrictions.

Oceanside: A short flight up the coast. Once clear of SD, you can fly low over the ocean if that appeals.

Catalina Island: It's challenging the first time, but worth it. The threshold is on top of a cliff so you really have to concentrate on the numbers and keeping the picture when descending on short finals. Then, just as you touch down, half the runway disappears and you'll wonder if you'll stop - there's a hump which obscures your view of the rest of the runway! Having landed, you can treat yourself to a buffalo burger in the airport cafe. :D

LAX: If you want the experience of landing at a major airport, LAX is only about 100 miles away. I've landed there in a helicopter a few times, but I don't think there'd be any problem with fixedwings - subject again to any post 9/11 restrictions.

La Jolla is worth visiting (by road) if you have the time. It's a very pretty town, only about 20 minutes North of downtown SD. Drive up to Soledad summit (5 mins from the town) and you'll have a superb view of the San Diego bays. If you're there in the evening, watching the sun set over the Pacific is wonderful.

Hope this helps a little.

Tudor Owen

It's probably obvious by now - San Diego is one of my favourite places in the world. :D

david viewing
24th Jun 2004, 13:42
Tudor

Thanks for the encouraging reply (except Baja!). I'll PM you.

David

samson.
24th Jun 2004, 14:37
Further to Flying Lawyer's post, I did some flying from Gillespie last year. I didn't fly there pre 9/11 so I can't compare but I experienced most of his recommendations when I was there:

Coronado/Bay: There is a VFR corridor over Lindberg Field (the international airport at San Diego) between 3300' and 4700' with no ATC permission necessary. If North Island Naval Air Station are feeling friendly they will let you fly along the coast just off Coronado but they'll probably ask you to remain below 500' (shame...). Then you can ask Lindberg if you can continue up the coast at the same height which they usually agree to. Just watch out for the banner tow aircraft advertising on Mission beach. You can then fly along the coast all the way up past La Jolla and up to Del Mar. As Flying Lawyer says, La Jolla is also worth going to by road.

Catalina is definitely worth a visit but the approach is quite sporting. Santa Barbara is also a good day out if you fancy going a bit further afield.

You can still fly over LAX via a VFR corridor (not sure about the route). I landed there a few times IFR - which was epic! LAX is the only place I had to pay a landing fee ($25).

Gillespie and Montgomery are both very friendly although Montgomery can get extremely busy (more so than Gillespie).

Have fun!

Samson.

Sensible
24th Jun 2004, 15:15
I made enquiries about renting an aircraft to take into Mexico last year but I was unable to find anybody who would rent me an aircraft. I even offered to leave a deposit equal to the value of the aircraft but the answer was still NO! It seems that there is a fear by Americans of flying into Mexico.

If You do manage to rent an aircraft, I would be pleased to learn of it and I know of a couple of nice airstrips over the border too. The other problem is that a lot of airports which are not hard tarmac are out of bounds for rented aircraft because of insurance limitations.

I have driven down to the tip of Baja and it's a nice drive with some very interesting places.

Flying Lawyer
24th Jun 2004, 15:15
The approach to 'The Airport in the Sky' on Catalina. They're not great pics but give some idea why Samson described the approach as 'sporting'.

Right base to 22
http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/Catalina_right_base.jpg

Finals
http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/Catalina_approach.jpg

If you look how the ground drops away sharply from the threshold, you'll see why it's so important to keep the picture focussed on the numbers and ignore peripheral vision - and why you don't want to undershoot! :)

FL

maxman
24th Jun 2004, 15:19
Have to echo FL's comments. A great place to visit.
While you're on the ground, the 94th Aero Squadron restaurant, at Montgomery is well worth eating at, you can also listen in to ATC while you eat.
A visit to the Flying Leathernecks museum on the Miramar base. Free entry, but take the third right, not the second, or you end up on the golf course:O :O

Julian
24th Jun 2004, 15:40
Rainbow Air in LGB seem ok about renting us an aircraft to do the Baja trip when we enquired but required we do the trip once with one of their instructors - they literally referred to it as the Baja checkout. I think a lot of it was to do with customs procedures rather than making sure you could actually find the place, guess they dont want their aircraft filled with bullet holes!

Did hear a story of one guy who managed to land at Tuijana airport rather than Brown Municiple and found himself with an armed reception commitee.

WestWind1950
24th Jun 2004, 19:12
I just love reading all the nice comments about my home town! :p I can agree with the above remarks 100%.

I, too, flew to Catalina... was a real experience! I always fly out of Gillespie Field. Have fun, whatever you decide!!

Westy

P.S. be careful going into Mexico on your tourist visa... the US may not let you back in!!

Flying Lawyer
25th Jun 2004, 09:34
WestWind1950

You're a lucky lady.
I've been fortunate to visit some lovely parts of the world, many of which are wonderful for a holiday, but if I could choose any one of them as somewhere to live, I'd choose the San Diego area.
If I won the lottery (unlikely as I don't play), I could be more specific. I'd buy a house near my friends high up on Soledad at La Jolla, with a magnicent view over the Pacific - and reregister as Flying Lawyer (Retired). :)

FL

PS: I assume Germany has some attraction. :confused: :D

englishal
25th Jun 2004, 09:48
Makes me want to jump on a plane to Cali and go flying;)

Catalina is great, a bit daunting at first but pretty easy. Don't get low and slow there though. Also don't get excessively high! I used to be a bit scared of catalina, it looks tricky, but in a SE its a piece of cake. I took a twin in last time, I was a bit nervous (seeing as it was IFR due to fires), but we stopped with half the runway remaining......

As far as Baja goes, you will probably need a Mexica checkout as Julian says.....mainly for the customs procedures. You can land at Tijuana and clear customs, then head off on your way. You need to file a DVFR flight plan if going VFR, if not you'll no doubt be shot down (by the Americans). A friend of mine missed the missed approach point into Brown Municipal, and when they became VMC they saw this nice long runway and landed. Turned out to by Tijuana. Luckily a few Paesos crossed palms, the "co-pilot" was Mexican and managed to blag their way out of it, they took off VFR, nipped over the boarder to Brown and landed, and that was the end of the matter. It could have been very serious though ;)

(My Mrs is from San Diego, and it is the best climate in the USA. Still the South Coast of the UK has its nice points as well....doesn't it?......maybe I should move out there????:cool: )

david viewing
25th Jun 2004, 10:02
Thanks for all the kind and encouraging replies. The photo of Catalina is superb -
but a pussycat compared with Los Alamos. There's even an overshoot!

http://www.viewing.com/New Mexico/Los Alamos 0565a.jpg

WestWind1950
25th Jun 2004, 11:01
@ Flying Lawyer
PS: I assume Germany has some attraction.

well, after being here for over 30 years.... :ugh: I married a German LH pilot waaaaay back when (he's history now ;) ). But having my kids here and a pretty good job, I stayed on, trying to visit SAN once a year. This year, when I visited my parents last February, I didn't want to come back over here!! It was soooooo nice.

I luckily always have the option to go back any time :p ... and the flying club I fly out of Golden State Flying (http://www.gsfc.com) , would love me as an instructor, being that I only weigh about 110 lbs and it gets quite hot in the summer!! :cool:

Westy

P.S. wouldn't it be great to have a Pprune Bash there some time? :ok:

muffin
25th Jun 2004, 15:33
All comments echoed. I flew an R44 for the first time in San Diego. Across from Montgomery Field to La Jolla, then down the coast, over the decks of the carriers not above 200 feet and back across Downtown and Lindbergh. Absolutely superb trip!