PDA

View Full Version : Instruction for the Instrument Rating

TooHotToFly
11th Jan 2001, 02:32
Just wondering if anybody can help me clarify how someone becomes entitled to give instruction on an approved IR course (I'm not talking about IRI's). Is this the situation:

Hold an FI rating
Have the no instrument instruction removed from their licence
Have completed 50 hours of instrument instruction e.g.IMC ratings

At this point if an FI joins an IR approved school, and then follows whatever standardisation requirements are set out in the flying schools training manual, can they teach approved IR's. Bit obscure I know but if anybody could clarify the situation for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Icarus Wings
11th Jan 2001, 14:19
Try phoning the CAA. That`s what they are there for. Personally i havent got a clue.

watford
11th Jan 2001, 21:59
Point 1 - The general premise is that you cannot instruct for any licence or rating that you do not hold yourself.

Point 2 - All UK requirements for FI's are now aligned with JAR-FCL.

To instruct for the issue of a IR(A) you will need:

An FI Rating.
An Instrument Rating.
At least 200 hours flight time in accordance with the instrument flight rules, of which up to 50 hours may be instrument ground time in a flight simulator or FNPT 2.
Complete an approved course comprising at least 5 hours of flight instruction in an aeroplane, flight simulator or FNPT 2.
Pass a Skill Test with an FIE.

See JAR-FCL 1.330(d)

Qhunter
11th Jan 2001, 23:37
Icarus: Have you tried phoning FCL recently. Last three days of trying with no joy...but that's another thread I'm sure.

TooHotToFly
12th Jan 2001, 03:08
Watford - forgot to mention about holding an IR but do you have to do the approved course and flight test with an FIE if you are going somewhere like Oxford. Does their own standardisation course exempt you from the CAA course or are they basically the same?

Oh and Icarus, thanks for the great advice.

watford
12th Jan 2001, 04:05
For a start, you will not join a school like Oxford, BAe, SFT, etc. as an instructor on the approved IR course unless you have considerable previous experience. When you get to the IRI stage, there is no such thing as a 'CAA' course, you have to complete an approved course of training and a Skill Test with a FIE in accordance with JAR-FCL 1.330. In the case of Oxford and SFT (the only schools of which I have personal knowledge), the standardisation course is far more thorough than the JAR minima, as is the Skill Test.

[This message has been edited by watford (edited 12 January 2001).]

TooHotToFly
12th Jan 2001, 18:04
Cheers.

Rockman
30th Jan 2001, 15:43
I'v just spoken to the CAA re. IFR hours required to work on IR courses. Apparently the 200 hours is just a guide line and it is at the discretion of the FTO.
Does anyone else have further information?

Klute
31st Jan 2001, 01:21
Recently spoke with the CAA about this and was told FI with IR and standardisation training as required by the FTO you intend working for.