PDA

View Full Version : Logbook Software

retro cowboy
24th Jun 2004, 11:05
Afternoon guys,

Just wondering if any instructors out there are using any decent logbook software that they would recommend. This is due to some companies asking for a breakdown of individual aircraft type hours and I'm getting sick of working it out!

Preferably JAR_FCL software.

Cheers,

RC

Loony_Pilot
24th Jun 2004, 12:32
Hi,

I use Skylog pro, it does everything including hours breakdowns and so on, the pro version has extra stuff for instructors. It takes a little bit of fiddling with to set up, but it has been fine for me so far and I think the CAA accept it as a "real" logbook

ACW 335
24th Jun 2004, 15:34
Is that freeware?

If not, how much to register?

retro cowboy
24th Jun 2004, 16:55
Thanks for the option Loony_Pilot, can this be stored on the web as well? Just thinking that as I'm not always around my PC it would be a useful function.

Cheers,

RC

spitfire747
24th Jun 2004, 17:38
I use a simply constructed Excel Spreadsheet, gives me all the info i need, just a case of adding it all in..

ALSO worth mentioning, each time i finish a page in my logbook, i Photocopy it... saves a load of hassel if it gets knicked

Spitty:O

SmirkySam
27th Jun 2004, 22:26
I spoke to a lady at the CAA last week, so I don't have this in writing!
The CAA will not accept any computer disks (viral worries) making the submission of electronic / digitised logbooks tricky.

She was interested that I had gone to the trouble of putting my flights into a spreadsheet and proffered the following information; As long as the printouts comply with article 28 of the ANO then the document will be accepted. Click Here (http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001562.htm)

I did ask about approved software before I was given the answers above.

Now, has anyone got to grips with Microsoft Access?

Smirky.;)

Oktas8
27th Jun 2004, 22:58
I use MS Access.

However, Access is harder to use than Excel unless one has a basic knowledge of how databases work. Also, MS Access needs some understanding, however basic, of SQL queries or macros or Visual Basic, to generate different flight time summaries.

I've tried to generate a polished, easy-to-use interface in MS Access, and you can, but the end result will be quite bloated compared to the equivalent professional logbook software on the market. For example, a typical Access database will compress to about 1/10th its original size when using WinZip or similar. This is a sign of dreadfully inefficient data storage. MS Access's user-level security features are quite basic too.

However, if you have or are willing to put in some work learning some basic programming, Access is capable of doing all the different flight summaries that the professional packages do, and database flexibility is only limited to the time you're willing to spend learning how to use it.

Oktas8

Loony_Pilot
28th Jun 2004, 00:11
Hi,

Skylog Pro is about £60. Its not the electronic bit that the CAA accept, but it will print fully in a CAA approved format (afaik). I just use it as a backup to the paper logbook and as a way to calculate hours annually, monthly, on type.. between certain dates on certain types etc. Its also a very useful way to ensure you have added up the paper totals properly

I know of one that is web based (E-Logbooks) but it charges you per entry, which is probably cheaper for a PPL doing a few hours a year, but makes it veru very pricey for someone doing a few hundred flights a year.

There are plenty of them around tho.. guess it just comes down to which u like the look of

QSK?
2nd Jul 2004, 00:06
Try the Aloft electronic logbook from the Canadian company Skymark Technologies. Very affordable and an excellent product. Pilots can download a trial version. I have used it and find it excellent.
http://www.skymarktechnologies.com/aloft/default.asp

adnams
3rd Jul 2004, 13:56
I use Flightlog Professional, It is excellent. You can download it off the web.
http://www.barrettsoft.com/

Red Eyed Dog
10th Jul 2004, 11:00
I'll go with adnams on this one. Use this program myself and it's great with statistics and graphs. I think it's the only one out there capable of working out day / night flying automatically that I've ever come across ...

Whirlygig
19th Jul 2004, 15:14
I use a web-based programme

www.pilot-ebook.com (http://)

It is free to register and use for personal use.

Cheers

Whirlygig

pilson
18th Oct 2005, 21:05
and Im developing logbook software for my final year project at uni. Its free and if you post a feature request,you can expect to see it in a future release
http://sort.ucd.ie/projects/logsource

Im about to start work on allowing users to backup their database online and more..

Baron Von Mildred
21st Oct 2005, 21:08
Does anyone know how the night/day calculator works? It must be pretty clever if it does it properly. A full almanac programme, presumably extrapolating your position between A & B when it was 30 mins before or after sunrise/set?