View Full Version : So just who is worth working for?

backdraftuk
13th Mar 2001, 22:02
I have been watching the various slanging watches that have been going on here for the last few months with some disquiet. My problem? Well I have a FI(R) and want to put it use, but after all the vitriol that has been flying around (pun intended) I am wondering if such a thing as a reasonable employer exists in aviation.
So before I give up my nice relaxing job as a teacher (where it is the government that expects you to work all hours for little pay) to become what is reportedly one of the most exploited forms of worker known I have a question.
Are there any employers out there who have a slightly more enlightened approach to employment than Machiavelli? I am not looking for £30 000 + company car (yet) just some where to learn a new trade within a tolerable environment. There must be some clubs/schools that offer a sensible mix of money, hours and conditions. Preferably one in the midlands as I am not to keen to sell up and move house whilst taking a drop in income as well. Suggestions on a post card to….

Capt Homesick
13th Mar 2001, 23:41
This may not be what you have in mind, but...
keep the job, use your hols and weekends to build your first few hundred hours?
The school summer holidays are the peak Flying Scholarship season (this is not a coincidence), you can get VERY poor over the winter. Even the busier schools might want a part timer who wants to do weekends!

RVR800
15th Mar 2001, 13:49
I second that..
Go for the summer season ..
Don't give up the day job

GT
15th Mar 2001, 14:27
I've managed to build up about 1400 hours instruction in four and a half years by working just weekends, bank holidays etc. whilst keeping my Monday to Friday job to hold my finances together. I think this is a good way of doing things until you can move on to something that pays a respectable wage.

backdraftuk
17th Mar 2001, 11:01
Thanks for the input; you are all right logically, I should not give up the day job to instruct. However having thought ahead before starting out on the “I want to fly for a living odyssey” I developed a cunning plan. If I do not move home, I have two flexible jobs as a means of supplementing the poor instructors pay. This means that for at least a couple of years I can afford to SUBSIDISE a flying school and some of its students if I have to. What I really want to avoid is poor money and a poor working environment, whether it is full or part time work, so the request remains the same.

MJR
19th Mar 2001, 15:36
I too believe in this idea of keeping your day job and instructing part time. However at the moment I am having difficulty in finding a part time post, in fact most schools by me only want full time FI's. Additionally as the business builds up they tend to lay off the part timers and take on another full timer.

cheers

MJR

RVR800
19th Mar 2001, 21:07
You're cunning plan..

Quit Teaching full time
do Supply Teaching
and FI(R)

If the weathers good pass on the
supply calls for the day

If the weathers poor go and teach

Sounds very reasonable to me
Go for it
Good luck

.. Come back Chris Woodhead all is forgiven

backdraftuk
19th Mar 2001, 23:00
RVR800 you sound like a man who knows to much about the teaching profession! I'm glad to see we both came up with the same idea, I'm already doing supply teahing and ready to drop it like a stone if I can find a flying job.

Flaps r fun
20th Mar 2001, 20:42
You two don't teach English, grammar or spelling by any chance?...Do you?

jester41
21st Mar 2001, 00:22
I have been teaching at a very busy school for about two years and loved it. However,i only made about 7k a year full time. I eventually had to get a part time job over the winter to pay some bills. Luckily it all came good eventually. My advice is try it part time first before you leap in with both feet.

Balance!
21st Mar 2001, 17:38
Good point MJR. Trying to find work on a part time basis as an FI(R)is well nigh impossible.