View Full Version : Can anyone reccomend a good FIR school

nicair
13th Mar 2001, 19:00
Could anyone reccomend a good place to gain Flight Instructor training and a rough guide to the price?
I am in the East Midland area but willing to travel.

GT
13th Mar 2001, 19:12
Why not give Leicestershire Aero Club a call? It shouldn't be too far away from where you are. I did my flying instructor course there some years ago. Amongst the best instruction that I ever received! Best of luck.

Regards, GT.

8hrsbtt
15th Mar 2001, 15:43
Dear nicair,

I went through my FIC this time last year and had a fantastic time. I spent ages on the phone to various schools trying to find the best for me, eventually there was one clear choice. OLD SARUM flying club near Salisbury.
It has a great relaxed club atmosphere.The people there make you feel welcome. Not like some flying 'schools' with people strutting around in their own self importance.
The CFI is your instructor and he is very experienced, enthusiastic, relaxed, and has a flexible but extreemly proffessional approach. A very busy chap but takes a keen interest in all his students and can alter his approach to suit the students needs.
The ground school part of the course is very comprehensive and run, mostly by the CFI himself, in conjunction with the flying, thus being able to take full advantage of the changing weather.
You can, if you wish, combine the course with a tailwheel conversion, doing the entire course on the cessna152 tailwheel. Another string to your bow if you can instruct on Tailwheel as well as trikes, all at the same cost of the normall C152 (well it was last year!). Also Old Sarum is a grass airfield allowing you to learn instruction techniques of another valuable skill.
Talking of cost I couldn't find a cheaper course (not saying there isn't one out there somewhere) and for value, I doubt you could beat Old Sarum.
I know it sounds like I was put up to this, but from my experience and the fun I had, I think it would be a crying shame if you didn't at least consider Old Sarum.
Wherever you go, I hope you enjoy the FIC as much as I did, and Good Luck!

MJR
19th Mar 2001, 15:39
Try Aeros at Gloucester or C&S aviationa at WBA.

MJR

robione
21st Mar 2001, 09:14
You could opt for RAVENAIR at LPOOL,with the legendary PRIMO LONZARDI.Im starting mine with them on MONDAY COMING. PRICE=4,570 POUNDS ALL INCLUSIVE,vat the lot.All u got to pay for after that is the test and a/c hire for it charged at solo rates.

------------------
Holder of JAR/CPL/ME class rating,FZN ATPL,s were getting there